Website Jo Castillo Art




Back to my website:

Saturday, January 09, 2021

Pastel Sketch Egg in Hand

The Scavenger Hunt 662 has the challenge to draw a hand a day or put one in your sketch.  I put the item, egg, in my hand.  I sketched the yearling yesterday and the egg today in pastels, trying to find my color sense again.  When you don't paint for a time, you need rehab and practice to find your way again. 

I spent about 45 minutes to an hour on this.  That is why I called the yearling yesterday an Hour Yearling. I used MiTeintes paper again.  It holds a couple of layers of pastel and is very inexpensive for practice and durable enough to frame if the painting comes out good.  The paper has a very gridded side which holds more pastel, but the grid tends to show.  I used the smoother side.

The sketch is almost like an under painting and could be used to develop into a painting.  the flesh needs some blue and or green in it.  The shadows are pretty dark and could be softened.  White is rarely white.  If you squint when you look at an egg you can see color depending on the surroundings.  It was pretty dark at the back of my easel so the brown paper was a good choice for the sketch.

Number 10, egg - in my hand with pastels on MiTeintes paper, 10 x 10 inches.

I need to practice with my pastels and acrylics for color.  I also need to finish the big book which can't be pastels or water based color.  Guess I can alternate, right?



7 comments:

Joan Tavolott said...

Nice job on the richness of the egg yolk. It is hard when you don't use a medium for a while...almost like starting over. Luckily a little practice makes a big difference.

hmuxo said...

The hand is painted beautifully Jo. Not easy but you did a great job with the folds in the hand and the egg is perfect.. I only use Canson mi-Tientes paper on portraits.... on the smooth side as well ... I never use the rough side. However a lot of people love it....

Jo Castillo said...

Joan, thank you. After I started on the egg I thought, I should have left it whole! I do need to play in the color for quite a while.

hmuxo, thank you as well. I've always liked MiTeintes paper. I even did an under painting with alcohol. It wrinkled a bit but dry and framed, looked fine. It is just so much easier to use Pastelbord for framing.

Rose Welty said...

Nice job on a hard subject Jo!

Jo Castillo said...

Hi Rose! Thank you so very much. We are having a good rain today with a few snowflakes, what a surprise!

Bag Blog said...

That's a fun sketch. I can't imagine why you chose an egg, but it worked great.

Jo Castillo said...

Bag Blog, the Hunt had a challenge to sketch a hand a day or a hand in every sketch. Egg was on the list of items. I should have just sketched the egg in my hand without cutting it in half! I had tried a cut egg before in ink and it was difficult, I thought pastels would be easier. It wasn't. Ha.


About Me

My photo
Bastrop, Texas, United States
I Grew up in a small town , Magdalena, New Mexico. I enjoy art and the pleasure other people get from my work. I always donate some of my sales and art to charities, especially for children. That started in Bolivia with Para los Niños. "I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colors. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns." -- Winston Churchill

Labels

#inktober (48) #inktober2019 (27) #inktober2023 (20) #inktober21 (11) abstract (1) Acrylic Paintings (75) Arizona (3) Art House Project (14) artist (88) artist blogger (356) artist blogger  instruction (3) artist blogger  instruction (20) artist blogger  instruction (17) artist blogger instruction (40) artist friend (7) at (1) Balloons (1) Baseball (206) Bastrop Sketchers (11) Bastrop TX (34) Bolivia (5) Calendar (1) Canada (3) Challenge (5) Charity Events (74) chile (4) classes (3) coaster sketch (9) colored pencil (58) computer art (5) DailyPaintworks Auction (3) demo video (4) Digital Painting (14) doodle (1) dphotos (1) exhibit (155) Figure (4) Fine Art Friends (3) Floweb browsing (1) Flowers (33) food (10) Footwork (1) fused glass (3) Gallery (3) gluten free (5) Golden Open paints (2) Golf (12) House Concert (1) iMac Sketch (1) Inktense (2) inst (1) instruction (76) iPad Sketch (90) iPad sketches (103) iph (1) iPhone painting (3) iPhone sketch (25) jo (1) Jo's Notion (9) Jo's Thoughts (298) Joanna (2) Joodles (2) Landscapes (137) Marines (29) marketing (3) meme (6) Music (68) New Mexico (130) Nonsense (2) Oil Painting (72) Oil Pastel (1) painting buddies (1) PanPastel works (3) Pastel (29) Pastel Demo (60) Pastel Paintings (408) pastel sketch (130) Pastels (12) pears (3) Peru (1) Photo (83) photography (1) Photos (976) Plein air painting (56) podcast (1) poll (1) pottery (2) Powwow (3) Recipe (6) restaurants (6) scenery (17) Sculptor (7) sculpture (4) seascape (2) sketch (4) Sketches (1799) snow (2) Still Life (36) Stu (1) Studio (26) Texas (70) Trees (36) tribute (5) under painting (1) Unsorted (7) videos (4) watercolor (178) watercolors (13) web browsing (262) web page (11) wetcanvas (1) WIP work in progress (15) workshop (8) World Blog Hop (2) Yesterfest (2) zentangle (2)