Website Jo Castillo Art




Back to my website:

Monday, January 11, 2021

Snow in Bastrop?? Sketches

We had a wonderful snow day yesterday.  It rained for a good while in the morning and started snowing with big fluffy flakes later.  It was beautiful to watch.  The last measurable snow .. well any snow .. was in 2017.  It came at night so we didn't get to watch it.

It took longer for the snow to build up with the rain and wet on the ground to start with.   There was about 3 inches stuck at the end.  It was gorgeous and has stayed for the day.  It sounds like rain as it is melting quickly.  The temperature is about 50 degrees F. now after a low of 32 early.  We really needed the moisture.  The rain gauge showed .66 inch of rain.  

I sketched in the big book yesterday.  Not easy to capture snow in black and white only.  Maybe if I went really slow with pointillism that would work.  I am definitely not that patient.  I used the Micron 02 that is about out of nib and ink.

For Scavenger Hunt 663
https://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/topic/scavenger-hunt-663-jan-10-jan-18/

 

Number 1, outdoors - remember you can click to see the images larger

Today I played in the pastels.  I'm trying to do something often to find my color palette in my head again.  This is my sketch for after the snow day.

Number 2, tree - out the dining window.

I will self critique this sketch for you.  Overall it is too dark and rich for a snow scene. I painted on the dark brown MiTeintes paper again, smooth side. 10 x 19 inches.  The paper color may have contributed to the dark theme as it shows through where I scumbled for the snow.   The sky is too dark as the backdrop.  The shape of the clouds is too similar to the trees so they look a bit like they are outlined.  Otherwise I had a good time painting with pastels and may just do it over as a real painting.  When would that be, hmmm.  I don't ever remember painting snow in real life so that was very interesting.  

And a few photos:


This artificial owl looks funny.
 
The driveway and pots.

A panorama of the back yard.



6 comments:

Joan Tavolott said...

Looks like you had fun with the pastel of the snow. When it snows here I want to get out someplace with a good view of it so I can sketch. lol Like most things, capturing it is on my mind.

Jo Castillo said...

Joan, it was interesting as I've never tried painting snow from life. I had a good view without getting outside. I thought of sketching on the porch, but it was 50 degrees with a breeze ... uncomfortable. Don't know how you do it, even in your portable studio. :-)

hmuxo said...

You definitely captured the snow in your paintings Jo. Excellent work. Have a wonderful day!!!!!!

Jo Castillo said...

hmuxo, oh, thank you. Painting helps to have a wonderful day, don't you think? So you have one, too.

Bag Blog said...

We didn't get any snow at all. Everyone south of us was posting snow pics. But not me.

Jo Castillo said...

Bag Blog, the storm went pretty straight east. Larry in San Marcos south of us didn't get much either. Mostly rain.


About Me

My photo
Bastrop, Texas, United States
I Grew up in a small town , Magdalena, New Mexico. I enjoy art and the pleasure other people get from my work. I always donate some of my sales and art to charities, especially for children. That started in Bolivia with Para los Niños. "I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colors. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns." -- Winston Churchill

Labels

#inktober (48) #inktober2019 (27) #inktober2023 (20) #inktober21 (11) abstract (1) Acrylic Paintings (75) Arizona (3) Art House Project (14) artist (88) artist blogger (356) artist blogger  instruction (3) artist blogger  instruction (20) artist blogger  instruction (17) artist blogger instruction (40) artist friend (7) at (1) Balloons (1) Baseball (206) Bastrop Sketchers (11) Bastrop TX (34) Bolivia (5) Calendar (1) Canada (3) Challenge (5) Charity Events (74) chile (4) classes (3) coaster sketch (9) colored pencil (58) computer art (5) DailyPaintworks Auction (3) demo video (4) Digital Painting (14) doodle (1) dphotos (1) exhibit (155) Figure (4) Fine Art Friends (3) Floweb browsing (1) Flowers (33) food (10) Footwork (1) fused glass (3) Gallery (3) gluten free (5) Golden Open paints (2) Golf (12) House Concert (1) iMac Sketch (1) Inktense (2) inst (1) instruction (75) iPad Sketch (90) iPad sketches (102) iph (1) iPhone painting (3) iPhone sketch (24) jo (1) Jo's Notion (9) Jo's Thoughts (298) Joanna (2) Joodles (2) Landscapes (137) Marines (29) marketing (3) meme (6) Music (68) New Mexico (130) Nonsense (2) Oil Painting (72) Oil Pastel (1) painting buddies (1) PanPastel works (3) Pastel (29) Pastel Demo (60) Pastel Paintings (408) pastel sketch (129) Pastels (12) pears (3) Peru (1) Photo (83) photography (1) Photos (973) Plein air painting (56) podcast (1) poll (1) pottery (2) Powwow (3) Recipe (6) restaurants (6) scenery (17) Sculptor (7) sculpture (4) seascape (2) sketch (4) Sketches (1794) snow (2) Still Life (36) Stu (1) Studio (26) Texas (70) Trees (36) tribute (5) under painting (1) Unsorted (7) videos (4) watercolor (178) watercolors (12) web browsing (262) web page (11) wetcanvas (1) WIP work in progress (15) workshop (8) World Blog Hop (2) Yesterfest (2) zentangle (2)