Website Jo Castillo Art




Back to my website:

Sunday, January 20, 2019

Final Answer - Sketch for 572

The final answer or last sketch for Hunt 572.  I managed ten items out of the twenty-six.  I think that is about my average for hunting each Hunt.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1459815

Number 9, jar
Number 10, nuts (not very recognizable in the red jar)

I kept looking at the hand and apple I sketched a while back.  I liked the apple but the hand was a bit creepy and it was the first thing I saw when I walked in my studio.  Couldn't take it anymore,  so wiped it off and sketched the red jar.  A bit better to look at as you walk in!

I'm not sure the brand of paper but I have wiped it several times .. more than three I think and it is taking the pastel quite well.  It is good for this sketch as it shows through the brass lid nicely.  I wonder what will strike my fancy next.

Memories of Mom Frances, Gene's mom, were on my mind for a few days.  I remembered that she used to take canned corned beef, fry it up a bit in a skillet, add a head of chopped cabbage and have a sort of corned beef and cabbage.  It was very tasty in my memory.

I bought a can of our HEB corned beef and tried it out.  Well ... not as good as I remembered.  Maybe because I didn't have the original corned beef which was maybe Hormel??  Or maybe the mind remembers differently than our taste buds, but it was not satisfying at all.  Joanna says it was never good.    Gene wouldn't try it as he doesn't like cooked cabbage.  We will never know unless the idea pops up again and I try with the original brand.

Another interesting thing was the can.  We couldn't remember the last time we saw a can with the key twist top.  How about you?




7 comments:

Jennifer Rose said...

blagh corned beef :p

i don't think I have ever actually seen one of those types of cans on a shelf before lol

Jo Castillo said...

Jennifer Rose, I'm smiling. These tops were on canned meat mostly, not sure why. They were also on sardines. The lid on those opened across the flat top. Haven't seen them in years.

Bag Blog said...

I like cooked cabbage and would probably like the corn beef and cabbage. Now the key opener is fun! So old fashioned! I remember playing with the key and metal after my mom opened a can. It was probably a bit dangerous.

Bag Blog said...

And yes, I noticed the lid on your sketch! Great job!

Jo Castillo said...

Bag Blog, Thanks on the lid. I like capturing metal, especially brass and copper, but don't have a lot to practice on. I should visit antique shops more or second hand places.

I think the unsatisfactory lunch may have been the HEB brand of beef. It didn't have the distinct taste/smell of the other. Gene doesn't like the smell of cabbage or Brussels sprouts .. but now he can't smell so I'm free to eat them.

Mary said...

It was interesting that you mentioned the brass lid on your sketch; that was the first thing I noticed--you did a super job on it. I've also enjoyed (as always) browsing other recent posts; the watercolor broom was most intriguing to me.

Jo Castillo said...

Mary, thank you. It would have been my intention to put a purple under the lid but with the "dirty" paper I didn't have to. The broom was fun with the blowing through the straw, etc. I practiced some more blowing after and it was fun to see how it works. I will try it again.


About Me

My photo
Bastrop, Texas, United States
I Grew up in a small town , Magdalena, New Mexico. I enjoy art and the pleasure other people get from my work. I always donate some of my sales and art to charities, especially for children. That started in Bolivia with Para los Niños. "I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colors. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns." -- Winston Churchill

Labels

#inktober (48) #inktober2019 (27) #inktober2023 (20) #inktober21 (11) abstract (1) Acrylic Paintings (75) Arizona (3) Art House Project (14) artist (88) artist blogger (356) artist blogger  instruction (3) artist blogger  instruction (20) artist blogger  instruction (17) artist blogger instruction (40) artist friend (7) at (1) Balloons (1) Baseball (206) Bastrop Sketchers (11) Bastrop TX (34) Bolivia (5) Calendar (1) Canada (3) Challenge (5) Charity Events (74) chile (4) classes (3) coaster sketch (9) colored pencil (58) computer art (5) DailyPaintworks Auction (3) demo video (4) Digital Painting (14) doodle (1) dphotos (1) exhibit (155) Figure (4) Fine Art Friends (3) Floweb browsing (1) Flowers (33) food (10) Footwork (1) fused glass (3) Gallery (3) gluten free (5) Golden Open paints (2) Golf (12) House Concert (1) iMac Sketch (1) Inktense (2) inst (1) instruction (76) iPad Sketch (90) iPad sketches (103) iph (1) iPhone painting (3) iPhone sketch (26) jo (1) Jo's Notion (9) Jo's Thoughts (299) Joanna (2) Joodles (2) Landscapes (137) Marines (29) marketing (3) meme (6) Music (68) New Mexico (130) Nonsense (2) Oil Painting (72) Oil Pastel (1) painting buddies (1) PanPastel works (3) Pastel (29) Pastel Demo (60) Pastel Paintings (408) pastel sketch (130) Pastels (12) pears (3) Peru (1) Photo (83) photography (1) Photos (977) Plein air painting (56) podcast (1) poll (1) pottery (2) Powwow (3) Recipe (6) restaurants (6) scenery (17) Sculptor (7) sculpture (4) seascape (2) sketch (4) Sketches (1799) snow (2) Still Life (36) Stu (1) Studio (26) Texas (70) Trees (36) tribute (5) under painting (1) Unsorted (7) videos (4) watercolor (178) watercolors (13) web browsing (262) web page (11) wetcanvas (1) WIP work in progress (15) workshop (8) World Blog Hop (2) Yesterfest (2) zentangle (2)