Website Jo Castillo Art




Back to my website:

Wednesday, November 14, 2018

Tapping My Fingers....

Yep, I was tapping my fingers waiting for paint to dry.  Why does that bother me so much.  I could do something while I wait, right?  I just want to get on with it I guess.

My homework was to use different palettes for the watercolor practice.  I worked about 2 hours on these four small sketches.  I wanted different shapes, but did not try to get into the textures of the box and not much on the shiny glass.   I didn't worry too much about the drawing either.  I might have spent a whole day on one!

The first is a Tetrad of violet, blue green, yellow and red orange.
The second is analogous, yellow orange, yellow, yellow green, green and blue green

The glass is blue, a wooden box and a red apple with lots of green and yellow.   I couldn't get the glass very blue with these palettes.  Great for the apple and box.

This was split complementary of red, yellow green and blue green.
And the last was monochromatic.

I used this for Scavenger Hunt 564, Number 5, glass.

It is good to think of ways to use different palettes.  I am prone to using the three primary colors when I can.  So this challenges me in two ways:  to use a different palette and to practice mixing colors.  Mixing is a bit like mixing oils or pastels, but sometimes there is a surprise.....

I have class today, so better get with it.


It is our winter today.  26 degrees F this morning.  We had some frost and steam on the lake.  Brrr.  Hopefully this is our coldest week of winter and we will get back to the 60s next week.


6 comments:

Joan Tavolott said...

Glad to see you are experimenting a bit with your color palette. Yes, it is hard sometimes to wait patiently while the watercolors dry. I'm not really too patient.

Bag Blog said...

I need to use more/different colors - a good lesson. Maybe I am too comfortable with the usual colors.
It is suppose to get up in the 60's today after being fairly cold all week. Toby got a tummy virus, which I had last week. So I have been having to do all the chores - firewood, chickens, etc. I can do all that, but not without a bit of whining.

Jo Castillo said...

Joan, you inspire me to try the watercolor. Fingers crossed that I get better. Heh, heh.

Jo Castillo said...

Bag Blog, I am used to the primary colors. Even in pastels, I use the same colors all the time. Maybe that is part of our "identity/style". It is hard to fall back on old habits. Made me think and that is good, right?

Jennifer Rose said...

brr chilly. a lot colder there then here, was about 12C today

waiting for paint to dry is the only thing I hate about watercolours, but I do tend to get a lot of reading done while I wait :)

Jo Castillo said...

Jennifer Rose, my complaining about the cold is just that. We will hit 70F today probably. Our average winter is 55-60. When we used to play golf there would only be about a week of days we couldn't play all winter.

Good suggestion to read while I wait, thanks!


About Me

My photo
Bastrop, Texas, United States
I Grew up in a small town , Magdalena, New Mexico. I enjoy art and the pleasure other people get from my work. I always donate some of my sales and art to charities, especially for children. That started in Bolivia with Para los Niños. "I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colors. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns." -- Winston Churchill

Labels

#inktober (48) #inktober2019 (27) #inktober2023 (20) #inktober21 (11) abstract (1) Acrylic Paintings (75) Arizona (3) Art House Project (14) artist (88) artist blogger (356) artist blogger  instruction (3) artist blogger  instruction (20) artist blogger  instruction (17) artist blogger instruction (40) artist friend (7) at (1) Balloons (1) Baseball (206) Bastrop Sketchers (11) Bastrop TX (34) Bolivia (5) Calendar (1) Canada (3) Challenge (5) Charity Events (74) chile (4) classes (3) coaster sketch (9) colored pencil (58) computer art (5) DailyPaintworks Auction (3) demo video (4) Digital Painting (14) doodle (1) dphotos (1) exhibit (155) Figure (4) Fine Art Friends (3) Floweb browsing (1) Flowers (33) food (10) Footwork (1) fused glass (3) Gallery (3) gluten free (5) Golden Open paints (2) Golf (12) House Concert (1) iMac Sketch (1) Inktense (2) inst (1) instruction (75) iPad Sketch (90) iPad sketches (102) iph (1) iPhone painting (3) iPhone sketch (24) jo (1) Jo's Notion (9) Jo's Thoughts (298) Joanna (2) Joodles (2) Landscapes (137) Marines (29) marketing (3) meme (6) Music (68) New Mexico (130) Nonsense (2) Oil Painting (72) Oil Pastel (1) painting buddies (1) PanPastel works (3) Pastel (29) Pastel Demo (60) Pastel Paintings (408) pastel sketch (129) Pastels (12) pears (3) Peru (1) Photo (83) photography (1) Photos (972) Plein air painting (56) podcast (1) poll (1) pottery (2) Powwow (3) Recipe (6) restaurants (6) scenery (17) Sculptor (7) sculpture (4) seascape (2) sketch (4) Sketches (1792) snow (2) Still Life (36) Stu (1) Studio (26) Texas (70) Trees (36) tribute (5) under painting (1) Unsorted (7) videos (4) watercolor (178) watercolors (12) web browsing (262) web page (11) wetcanvas (1) WIP work in progress (15) workshop (8) World Blog Hop (2) Yesterfest (2) zentangle (2)