Website Jo Castillo Art




Back to my website:

Tuesday, November 13, 2018

Odd Still Life Sketch

I sketched about 9:00 a.m., pretty early today (for me) in the big coffee table book.  A Prismacolor 05 was the tool of choice.  The three items make an odd still life.

For Scavenger Hunt 564  http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1456765

Number 2, pepper - some small hot dried Chile de Arbol (I think that is the name).  I use them to add heat to mild or medium red chile.  They look a lot like the peppers used in Chinese dishes.
Number 3, umbrella - small. pink and black
Number 4, egg carton - half of one we use for hard boiled eggs.

It is cold and gloomy.  The high is expected to be 43 degrees F today.  The normal for now would be about 65.  Brrr.  Of course it is nice and warm in the house and we don't have to go anywhere today.

It is our grandson's, Cole's,  birthday tomorrow and also his son's, Oliver's,  or our great grandson's.  They had Oliver's birthday party on Saturday and it was a train themed party with him dressed in overalls and had.  So cute.  I found this sketch I did several years ago on my iPhone or iPad and printed it for Oliver's birthday card.

So Happy Birthday to the boys, Cole and Oliver!

I bought a handmade card for Cole on Saturday at the Veterans Day Market.  I should have taken a photo.  It had a map and an airplane on it with Happy Birthday on a banner behind the plane.  It was only $1.  I don't think you can make a card for a dollar can you?  It had a lovely envelope to match.  I bought another from the same vendor with flowers on it.  It was $5.  Not sure why it was more.

I hope to get a bit of watercolor homework done today.  Still working on my color charts.  I didn't have raw sienna or naples yellow so made my own.  Takes so much longer.  I ordered some paint from Dick Blick but it will not arrive on time for my lesson this week.




9 comments:

Joanna said...

An odd collection of items, indeed! :-)

Jo Castillo said...

Joanna, yep, I just gathered three things on the list. Usually I try to get things that go together, ha.

Regina Calton Burchett said...

I sure admire your dedication to sketching, Jo!

I just ordered a couple of tubes of oil paint and two 40 x 30 canvasses from Dick Blick - their prices are excellent!

Jo Castillo said...

Regina, thanks so much. I'm sure you will have fun smooshing paint around with brushes and knives. I'm also sure you will be very good with oil paints..... :-)

Jo Castillo said...

Regina, wow, big canvas to work on, did you get some big brushes, too?

Jennifer Rose said...

great looking train!

most cards that are sold for that cheap or usually just come buy more cards, you buy the cheap one and then see more you might liked :)

hmuxo said...

A very nice sketch Jo!!! A still life can be anything....right??? It's all about sketching !!!! I love your birthday card for your grandson, as well.

Bag Blog said...

Your choices for your still life are interesting and not easy to draw. Who comes up with these willy-nilly things?


Happy birthday to your grands!

Jo Castillo said...

Jennifer Rose, thank you so much. The cheap card trick got me to buy another, you are right.

hmuxo, oh, thank you. It is good to keep sketching.

Bag Blog, thanks. I just gathered three things from the list and then decided to sketch them together. It was my list this time, ha. We take turns making lists, every 9 days the list changes.


About Me

My photo
Bastrop, Texas, United States
I Grew up in a small town , Magdalena, New Mexico. I enjoy art and the pleasure other people get from my work. I always donate some of my sales and art to charities, especially for children. That started in Bolivia with Para los Niños. "I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colors. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns." -- Winston Churchill

Labels

#inktober (48) #inktober2019 (27) #inktober2023 (20) #inktober21 (11) abstract (1) Acrylic Paintings (75) Arizona (3) Art House Project (14) artist (88) artist blogger (356) artist blogger  instruction (3) artist blogger  instruction (20) artist blogger  instruction (17) artist blogger instruction (40) artist friend (7) at (1) Balloons (1) Baseball (206) Bastrop Sketchers (11) Bastrop TX (34) Bolivia (5) Calendar (1) Canada (3) Challenge (5) Charity Events (74) chile (4) classes (3) coaster sketch (9) colored pencil (58) computer art (5) DailyPaintworks Auction (3) demo video (4) Digital Painting (14) doodle (1) dphotos (1) exhibit (155) Figure (4) Fine Art Friends (3) Floweb browsing (1) Flowers (33) food (10) Footwork (1) fused glass (3) Gallery (3) gluten free (5) Golden Open paints (2) Golf (12) House Concert (1) iMac Sketch (1) Inktense (2) inst (1) instruction (75) iPad Sketch (90) iPad sketches (102) iph (1) iPhone painting (3) iPhone sketch (24) jo (1) Jo's Notion (9) Jo's Thoughts (298) Joanna (2) Joodles (2) Landscapes (137) Marines (29) marketing (3) meme (6) Music (68) New Mexico (130) Nonsense (2) Oil Painting (72) Oil Pastel (1) painting buddies (1) PanPastel works (3) Pastel (29) Pastel Demo (60) Pastel Paintings (408) pastel sketch (129) Pastels (12) pears (3) Peru (1) Photo (83) photography (1) Photos (975) Plein air painting (56) podcast (1) poll (1) pottery (2) Powwow (3) Recipe (6) restaurants (6) scenery (17) Sculptor (7) sculpture (4) seascape (2) sketch (4) Sketches (1798) snow (2) Still Life (36) Stu (1) Studio (26) Texas (70) Trees (36) tribute (5) under painting (1) Unsorted (7) videos (4) watercolor (178) watercolors (13) web browsing (262) web page (11) wetcanvas (1) WIP work in progress (15) workshop (8) World Blog Hop (2) Yesterfest (2) zentangle (2)