Website Jo Castillo Art




Back to my website:

Sunday, November 11, 2018

Veterans, Kilt Sketch

We went to the Veterans Ceremony, car show and parade (well Veterans walk) yesterday. Made me smile when I saw the gentleman that was piping in the Colors and Veterans. Wearing a kilt! I took out my sketchbook but only had a couple of minutes before they marched off. Normally I guess I only see a kilt once a year. "Kilt" was on the last Scavenger Hunt list.  Missed by a few days.  Dang. 

The Ceremony in Bastrop is always very nice.  They had about 350 classic cars which are judged.  We didn't hear which ones won.  There were about 50 - 75 Veterans.  The Color Guard was from Bastrop High School.  Speeches by the vets and more awards.  The Navy award winner also was the chaplain for the benedictions. 

There is food and the Open Air Craft Market was open.  Lots of folks taking it in.  My pictures aren't great but here are a few.

 Color Guard with Piper

Some of the Vets

They ask the Vets to stand from each branch of the service, here are a few in my view.

 Army

 Gene, for Air Force

Marine

Navy
 Awards given out for Veterans of the Year presented by Willie Pina on the left.
The flyover for the veterans that have passed away or missing.  Gene thinks it was a B46.  The plane flew over twice with a moment of silence in the middle and taps was played during that time.

Dallas Wayne was the Master of Ceremonies





And a few of the cars, can you guess which paint job I liked? 

I like the red Mustang a lot, too.  I always wanted one.

There was a silent auction.  As we were leaving, Gene suggested I bid on something.  It was about 12:30 p.m. and there wasn't much bidding on some of the items, so I bid on about 6.  I figured the folks would come back and overbid my bids as it closed at 3:00 p.m.

We went to lunch at Guadalajara and when we were about half way home, Gene's phone rang.  We had "won" one of the auction items.  We went back and Gene stayed in the car to nap.  I walked back and as I was getting ready to pay, Gene called and said they called about another item.  Yep, I "won" some more.  About $300 worth of stuff.  One was a Doggy Bag.  It had a small pillow, a blanket, a dog toy, a plastic container for food, a toy truck and a wicker bed.  Obviously for a tiny dog and was $110 of the total bids I had made. 

As I finished paying and was trying to figure out how to carry all my stuff back to the car, a man came up and said in a disappointed voice, "Oh, you won the doggy bag."
"Yes, " I said, "Had you bid on it?"
"I did, I really wanted that.  What was the final bid?" he asked.
"$110," I said.
"I'll give you $120!" he blurted out.
"Sold!" I said.

He paid me with cash and I donated the $10 profit and $10 more to the gentleman giving away poppies for the VFW.  So a win, win all around!  We certainly didn't need a doggie bag!


It was a cloudy and cool day, but was well attended and we had a good time.





8 comments:

Bag Blog said...

Sounds like a full day - and fun too. $120 for a doggy bag! I guess the money goes to a good cause. I love my dogs, but they only get Walmart specials :)

Jo Castillo said...

Bag Blog, yep, I bid on the doggy bag thinking I could give it to Jennie. Most of the things to bid on were geared toward the old car buffs. Posters, jumper cables, tool boxes, etc. I bid on the things that wouldn't take room and could use. Happy the guy came along for the doggie bag! One of the things I got was a flag. It came with a copy of the Constitution and a book on flag etiquette. That was nice.

Joan Tavolott said...

Well it seems like you had a winning day! Sounds like a nice event. I missed the Veterans Day celebration here. I guess I just wasn't thinking that it was on Sunday. Jerry wanted to go out for a Veterans Day dinner since so many restaurants offer them, but I had already had something in the fridge to cook and really wanted to stay home and have something healthier. lol

Jo Castillo said...

Joan, it was fun. Bastrop celebrated Saturday, Veterans Day was Sunday and today is the celebration when post office is closed. Guess the restaurants might give the meals any of the three days, ha.

Jennifer Rose said...

but you could have got a tiny dog ;)

Jo Castillo said...

Jennifer Rose, we could get a dog if you come take care of it!

Jennifer Rose said...

lol a tad far away ;)

Jo Castillo said...

Jennifer Rose, that is why we have a robot dog. We didn't even take care of him and his battery died, we left him uncharged for too long. Sad....


About Me

My photo
Bastrop, Texas, United States
I Grew up in a small town , Magdalena, New Mexico. I enjoy art and the pleasure other people get from my work. I always donate some of my sales and art to charities, especially for children. That started in Bolivia with Para los NiƱos. "I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colors. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns." -- Winston Churchill

Labels

#inktober (48) #inktober2019 (27) #inktober2023 (20) #inktober21 (11) abstract (1) Acrylic Paintings (75) Arizona (3) Art House Project (14) artist (88) artist blogger (356) artist blogger  instruction (3) artist blogger  instruction (20) artist blogger  instruction (17) artist blogger instruction (40) artist friend (7) at (1) Balloons (1) Baseball (206) Bastrop Sketchers (11) Bastrop TX (34) Bolivia (5) Calendar (1) Canada (3) Challenge (5) Charity Events (74) chile (4) classes (3) coaster sketch (9) colored pencil (58) computer art (5) DailyPaintworks Auction (3) demo video (4) Digital Painting (14) doodle (1) dphotos (1) exhibit (155) Figure (4) Fine Art Friends (3) Floweb browsing (1) Flowers (33) food (10) Footwork (1) fused glass (3) Gallery (3) gluten free (5) Golden Open paints (2) Golf (12) House Concert (1) iMac Sketch (1) Inktense (2) inst (1) instruction (75) iPad Sketch (90) iPad sketches (102) iph (1) iPhone painting (3) iPhone sketch (24) jo (1) Jo's Notion (9) Jo's Thoughts (298) Joanna (2) Joodles (2) Landscapes (137) Marines (29) marketing (3) meme (6) Music (68) New Mexico (130) Nonsense (2) Oil Painting (72) Oil Pastel (1) painting buddies (1) PanPastel works (3) Pastel (29) Pastel Demo (60) Pastel Paintings (408) pastel sketch (129) Pastels (12) pears (3) Peru (1) Photo (83) photography (1) Photos (972) Plein air painting (56) podcast (1) poll (1) pottery (2) Powwow (3) Recipe (6) restaurants (6) scenery (17) Sculptor (7) sculpture (4) seascape (2) sketch (4) Sketches (1792) snow (2) Still Life (36) Stu (1) Studio (26) Texas (70) Trees (36) tribute (5) under painting (1) Unsorted (7) videos (4) watercolor (178) watercolors (12) web browsing (262) web page (11) wetcanvas (1) WIP work in progress (15) workshop (8) World Blog Hop (2) Yesterfest (2) zentangle (2)