Website Jo Castillo Art




Back to my website:

Saturday, July 06, 2024

Joanna's Birthday and Hunting till the End

The last day of a Hunt.  Good to get in one more sketch.  Bad news is that I only did two sketches for Hunt 120.  It was Joan's Hunt.  (http://watercolorsbyjoan2.blogspot.com/) We always get together on the Hunts and our Blogs so I should have done more.  

Joan paints fabulous watercolors and so much more.  I did a watercolor in her honor for the end of this Hunt.  https://creativespark.art/threads/scavenger-hunt-from-life-120-june-28-july-6.6992/

 


Number 2, fruit - challenge still life

I set the fruit on my stool on my iPad.  Sort of watching TV .. I'll blame the TV for any missteps.  I sketched in the Ohuhu sketchbook with watercolors and Ohuhu pens after sketching in pencil.    I'm about 1/4 pleased with it.  I like the apple... Perspective is off, the iPad should be wider toward the front and narrow to the back.  The banana is a bit flat, overripe?? But, I did sketch and splashed some water and paint around.  Always good.  I just don't have patience to let watercolor dry between layers if I need to add more color.  Of course that requires practice as well.  

***  **  ***  **  ***  **  ***

My art went south this week.  Not sure why.  I didn't even post for Joanna's birthday.  We wore her shirt  (https://jocastilloartblog.blogspot.com/2022/02/joanna-is-saint-and-sketch.html)  and had New Mexico food and the famous carrot cake.  No photos!!  We will say that is because Larry wasn't here, but that is only an excuse ... not even a real reason.  It was a good day.  Happy Birthday, Joanna!

We celebrated Independence Day, too.  Gene and I watched the fireworks on TV both Macy's and the Capitol Fourth.  The Capitol Fourth is always good to see the Mall and listen to the music.  I like seeing the military and families celebrating.    I liked both fireworks, but was disappointed in the music during the fireworks.  Neither show had the Stars and Stripes and patriotic music.  What??  

We love our country and our flag.  Thanks to our military and first responders keeping us free!  

Some of my Home Front paintings.....

Oil painting at the old house.  16 x 20 as I recall.


Home Front, Too, Pastel 11 x 14 maybe.


Sketch, here at this house.

God Bless the USA!!

6 comments:

Joan Tavolott said...

Jo, great to see your watercolor of the fruit. All three of them look good to me...on that unusual serving iPad. lol

I didn't get to see any of the fireworks on TV. We were out all day, and didn't get home until late. I did see some fireworks as I was driving us home, but forgot to turn on the TV to see them there too. I enjoy the Capitol Fourth, but I'm sad to hear that there wasn't any patriotic music. Hope your Independence Day was fun.

Jo Castillo said...

Joan, thanks so much. I should have said that neither had the patriotic music while the fireworks were going off. The Capitol Fourth had a section where the Army Band and Chorus played the music with the different songs for each branch of service. It sounded like you had a long day. We had a great day.

R's Rue said...

So pretty

Jo Castillo said...

R's Rue, thank you so much. I haven't been reading my blogs and commenting so happy to see you.

Anonymous said...

I always appreciate when you dive into watercolors because I know you don't have the patience for them. :-)

— (not-so-anonymous) Joanna

Jo Castillo said...

(not-so-anonymous) Joanna, thank you. I try with some effort on your behalf. Ha.


About Me

My photo
Bastrop, Texas, United States
I Grew up in a small town , Magdalena, New Mexico. I enjoy art and the pleasure other people get from my work. I always donate some of my sales and art to charities, especially for children. That started in Bolivia with Para los Niños. "I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colors. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns." -- Winston Churchill

Labels

#inktober (49) #inktober2019 (27) #inktober2023 (20) #inktober2024 (1) #inktober21 (11) abstract (1) Acrylic Paintings (75) Arizona (3) Art House Project (14) artist (88) artist blogger (360) artist blogger  instruction (3) artist blogger  instruction (20) artist blogger  instruction (17) artist blogger instruction (41) artist friend (7) at (1) Balloons (1) Baseball (210) Bastrop Sketchers (11) Bastrop TX (34) Bolivia (5) Calendar (1) Canada (3) Challenge (6) Charity Events (75) chile (4) classes (3) coaster sketch (9) coffee (1) colored pencil (59) computer art (5) crayon sketches (3) DailyPaintworks Auction (3) demo video (4) Digital Painting (14) doodle (1) dphotos (1) exhibit (156) Figure (4) Fine Art Friends (3) Floweb browsing (1) Flowers (33) food (10) Footwork (1) fused glass (3) Gallery (3) gluten free (5) Golden Open paints (2) Golf (12) House Concert (1) iMac Sketch (1) Inktense (2) inktober2024 (2) inst (1) instruction (78) iPad Sketch (91) iPad sketches (112) iph (1) iPhone painting (3) iPhone sketch (27) jo (1) Jo's Notion (9) Jo's Thoughts (306) Joanna (2) Joodles (2) Landscapes (137) Marines (29) marketing (3) meme (6) memorial (1) Music (69) New Mexico (130) Nonsense (2) Oil Painting (72) Oil Pastel (1) painting buddies (1) PanPastel works (3) Pastel (29) Pastel Demo (60) Pastel Paintings (413) pastel sketch (142) Pastels (12) pears (3) Peru (1) Photo (83) photography (2) Photos (1001) Plein air painting (56) podcast (1) poll (1) pottery (2) Powwow (3) Recipe (6) restaurants (6) scenery (17) Sculptor (7) sculpture (4) seascape (2) sketch (4) Sketches (1859) snow (2) Still Life (36) Stu (1) Studio (26) Texas (70) Trees (36) tribute (5) under painting (1) Unsorted (7) videos (4) watercolor (180) watercolors (26) web browsing (262) web page (11) wetcanvas (1) WIP work in progress (15) workshop (8) World Blog Hop (2) Yesterfest (2) zentangle (3)