Website Jo Castillo Art




Back to my website:

Sunday, February 11, 2024

Pastel Like Homework

 I have been wanting to play in the dust.  I started yesterday by wiping off a painting and doing a "sketch".  It turned into work, sort of like homework.  I spent an hour and a half yesterday and about the same today.  Not good.  I decided to just stop and go on to the next project.

I had planned on using the towel and making the stripes red.  It was supposed to be a quick sketch as I have painted all the items before.  What went wrong?  Maybe it was the odd shaped pear that wouldn't stand up.  I had 3 more, why didn't I change it?  

I also got too heavy with my strokes early on.  This makes it difficult to change and have subtle changes without blending and I didn't want to blend too much.

So for Scavenger Hunt 102  https://creativespark.art/threads/scavenger-hunt-from-life-102-feb-5-feb-13.6569/

here you go:

Number 9 bottle
Number 10 fruit
Number 11 metal - a small individual cocktail shaker that Gene used to use for his vodka martinis

Here was the setup after I moved the pear to flatten the towel.  I moved the towel so I could see the bottoms of the items, the towel was sort of draped in front.


Maybe showing my mistakes can help you in your painting.  I hope so.  It helps me to remember for next time.  Do you ever abandon a painting?

Here are my thoughts on this one:

Check my items - especially that they will stay put
Check my composition
If it is a painting not sketch, do a value sketch
Start with light strokes and build up the color slowly from dark to light.
Take breaks and step back
Take a photo or look in a mirror
Be comfortable - I didn't put down my pads and my feet were tired
Have fun, if not come back later


3 comments:

R's Rue said...

Beautiful

Joan Tavolott said...

I like your steps to remember. The items look good. As always the reflections on the bottle always capture my attention.

Jo Castillo said...

R's Rue, thank you so much.

Joan, thank you. We all need reminders. I like painting glass. Hope your weekend went well and you have a good week. We are supposed to have nice weather.


About Me

My photo
Bastrop, Texas, United States
I Grew up in a small town , Magdalena, New Mexico. I enjoy art and the pleasure other people get from my work. I always donate some of my sales and art to charities, especially for children. That started in Bolivia with Para los Niños. "I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colors. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns." -- Winston Churchill

Labels

#inktober (48) #inktober2019 (27) #inktober2023 (20) #inktober21 (11) abstract (1) Acrylic Paintings (75) Arizona (3) Art House Project (14) artist (88) artist blogger (359) artist blogger  instruction (3) artist blogger  instruction (20) artist blogger  instruction (17) artist blogger instruction (41) artist friend (7) at (1) Balloons (1) Baseball (210) Bastrop Sketchers (11) Bastrop TX (34) Bolivia (5) Calendar (1) Canada (3) Challenge (5) Charity Events (74) chile (4) classes (3) coaster sketch (9) coffee (1) colored pencil (59) computer art (5) DailyPaintworks Auction (3) demo video (4) Digital Painting (14) doodle (1) dphotos (1) exhibit (156) Figure (4) Fine Art Friends (3) Floweb browsing (1) Flowers (33) food (10) Footwork (1) fused glass (3) Gallery (3) gluten free (5) Golden Open paints (2) Golf (12) House Concert (1) iMac Sketch (1) Inktense (2) inst (1) instruction (77) iPad Sketch (91) iPad sketches (108) iph (1) iPhone painting (3) iPhone sketch (27) jo (1) Jo's Notion (9) Jo's Thoughts (301) Joanna (2) Joodles (2) Landscapes (137) Marines (29) marketing (3) meme (6) memorial (1) Music (68) New Mexico (130) Nonsense (2) Oil Painting (72) Oil Pastel (1) painting buddies (1) PanPastel works (3) Pastel (29) Pastel Demo (60) Pastel Paintings (410) pastel sketch (137) Pastels (12) pears (3) Peru (1) Photo (83) photography (2) Photos (990) Plein air painting (56) podcast (1) poll (1) pottery (2) Powwow (3) Recipe (6) restaurants (6) scenery (17) Sculptor (7) sculpture (4) seascape (2) sketch (4) Sketches (1830) snow (2) Still Life (36) Stu (1) Studio (26) Texas (70) Trees (36) tribute (5) under painting (1) Unsorted (7) videos (4) watercolor (180) watercolors (19) web browsing (262) web page (11) wetcanvas (1) WIP work in progress (15) workshop (8) World Blog Hop (2) Yesterfest (2) zentangle (3)