Website Jo Castillo Art




Back to my website:

Tuesday, June 06, 2023

Powder Remembered - Sketches

My brother, Powder,  was in the Invasion of Normandy.  You can read on my blog post here:


It is D-Day today.  Here is some history via the History Channel.
 
 


 
 

He was an amazing person and is very missed in our family.




A Scavenger Hunt item was vehicle.  Nothing exciting here.  We heard the sirens from the firehouse so we went over there thinking the truck may be back and being cleaned.  One truck was gone but the bay doors were open.  We are so thankful for our volunteer fire department in Circle D.  I posted about a lunch we had for them, I think the truck I sketched might be in the photos.  https://jocastilloartblog.blogspot.com/2014/06/sketching-update-pastel-plein-air-and.html

 

 
 
Number 4 vehicle - I sketched parts of the three vehicles I could see.  I sketched in the Ohuhu Mix Media sketchbook with a Micron 03 and added the color at home.  Not sure how long I worked on the sketch.  It took just a few minutes to sketch and much longer to color.
 
 
The Super Regional Tournament is set.  The Longhorns will travel to California and play at Stanford's Klein Field at Sunken Diamond, 5:00 p.m. Central time.  Stanford is always difficult to beat.  Hook 'em Horns!!

3 comments:

Debbie Nolan said...

Hi Jo went over and read about your brother Powder. What an amazing man who truly must have wanted to serve others. God bless all those who fought for our country and freedom.
Great job on your vehicle sketch. I think tires are so hard to do...so I avoid them generally when I sketch. Need to practice more often like you do. Hugs!

Joan Tavolott said...

Love that you got to sketch the smaller fire trucks. Nice!

Interesting to read your post about your brother, Powder. Unfortunately most military get very little support when they return from battle, and many of them need it. Most of the men that I know who served in WWII very rarely spoke about their time there. If they shared anything it was a funny story or a human interest story...never about the battles or their feelings.

Jo Castillo said...

Debbie, thanks. My sketching is always hit or miss. I rarely take time to worry about the details until it is finished and too late to change. Ha. Vehicles are difficult. Joan has the touch on them. The rounded edges/lines seem to escape my idea I had at the start. Practice.... you are correct. My brother was great, difficult at times. I think they had PTSD and no diagnosis in those days.

Joan, thanks so much. It was fun to find the fire station doors open! The veterans from WWII had a hard time. They are just about all gone. We are lucky to have known them and remember them.


About Me

My photo
Bastrop, Texas, United States
I Grew up in a small town , Magdalena, New Mexico. I enjoy art and the pleasure other people get from my work. I always donate some of my sales and art to charities, especially for children. That started in Bolivia with Para los Niños. "I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colors. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns." -- Winston Churchill

Labels

#inktober (48) #inktober2019 (27) #inktober2023 (20) #inktober21 (11) abstract (1) Acrylic Paintings (75) Arizona (3) Art House Project (14) artist (88) artist blogger (356) artist blogger  instruction (3) artist blogger  instruction (20) artist blogger  instruction (17) artist blogger instruction (40) artist friend (7) at (1) Balloons (1) Baseball (206) Bastrop Sketchers (11) Bastrop TX (34) Bolivia (5) Calendar (1) Canada (3) Challenge (5) Charity Events (74) chile (4) classes (3) coaster sketch (9) colored pencil (59) computer art (5) DailyPaintworks Auction (3) demo video (4) Digital Painting (14) doodle (1) dphotos (1) exhibit (156) Figure (4) Fine Art Friends (3) Floweb browsing (1) Flowers (33) food (10) Footwork (1) fused glass (3) Gallery (3) gluten free (5) Golden Open paints (2) Golf (12) House Concert (1) iMac Sketch (1) Inktense (2) inst (1) instruction (76) iPad Sketch (90) iPad sketches (103) iph (1) iPhone painting (3) iPhone sketch (26) jo (1) Jo's Notion (9) Jo's Thoughts (299) Joanna (2) Joodles (2) Landscapes (137) Marines (29) marketing (3) meme (6) Music (68) New Mexico (130) Nonsense (2) Oil Painting (72) Oil Pastel (1) painting buddies (1) PanPastel works (3) Pastel (29) Pastel Demo (60) Pastel Paintings (408) pastel sketch (132) Pastels (12) pears (3) Peru (1) Photo (83) photography (1) Photos (981) Plein air painting (56) podcast (1) poll (1) pottery (2) Powwow (3) Recipe (6) restaurants (6) scenery (17) Sculptor (7) sculpture (4) seascape (2) sketch (4) Sketches (1804) snow (2) Still Life (36) Stu (1) Studio (26) Texas (70) Trees (36) tribute (5) under painting (1) Unsorted (7) videos (4) watercolor (178) watercolors (13) web browsing (262) web page (11) wetcanvas (1) WIP work in progress (15) workshop (8) World Blog Hop (2) Yesterfest (2) zentangle (2)