Website Jo Castillo Art




Back to my website:

Wednesday, January 12, 2022

Hunting Catchup in these Dreich Times

When I am behind on sketching or posting I lose my train of thought.  I should take notes, but as Gene can tel you, I never look at notes.  I am fairly good at keeping up with things on my calendar because the iMac, iPhone and iPad all sync with eachother and I get notifications when I remember to put the date on the calendar.

One of the forums on creativespark.art is the weekly art event.  The prompt this week was music.  Before I shut down my computer for the night, I sketched in the regular sketchbook one of my favorite CDs.  Byrd and Street are my favorite duo.  I listened and sketched.


We have'nt been able to see and listen with them live during this dreich time.  Hopefully soon.  In the meantime I can turn on my "tunes".

Yesterday I sketched in pastels on my easel.  In the class with Enid Wood, she was talking about patterns, especially in the background to enhance the main subject and direct your eye to the focal point or place of interest.  I decided to set up a still life with some patterned lace in the background and drape it to point to the plate and cup.  I planned to have the plate and cup both blue and put in a long stem of a yellow flower to give a diagonal to the set up.  Actually I was going to use a blue and white square box instead of the cup.  

By the time I had the set up ready and a piece of MiTeintes paper on my board, my enthusiasm for a "real painting" fizzled out.  I didn't have the ganas (sort of like will in Spanish) to do so much detail.  A sketch emerged with the box changing to the reddish cup.


For Scavenger Hunt from Life 8  https://creativespark.art/threads/scavenger-hunt-from-life-8-jan-5-jan-13.3110

Number 12 and 13 (maybe)  ceramic and fabric

 

***

Did you have to look up the word "dreich"?  I did.  One of the Scavenger Hunt artists is from Scotland and put up a skyscape and the photo.  It was a beautiful sunrise over the Stenness Loch.  This was her quote:  "An early appointment today and it's one of those rare bright and still mornings we get up here sometimes just to keep us going through the dreich winter."

I surmised the meaning of the word, but had to look it up anyway.  It does fit our situation at the moment.


4 comments:

Joan Tavolott said...

Dreich does fit the situation well. For some reason I thought it was a Jewish/Yiddish word, but when I looked it up to see where it came from it spoke about Scotland and Germany...so it is connected. I did know the general meaning of the word and remember smiling when I saw her describe the weather that way.

I like your pastel, but can understand your reason for not doing the rest of the lace pattern...it is so much detail to work on.

Jo Castillo said...

Thanks, Joan. Always fun to talk about and learn new words. I love word puzzles.

I think if I had been doing a real painting I wouldn't mind spending time on the lace. I like optical illusions where it looks like it is raised from the table a bit. Too much for a sketch...

Bag Blog said...

Ganas are important. Dreichs will pass.

Jo Castillo said...

Bag Blog, sure hoping that the ganas return and the dreich passes. We went for our annual checkups this week and they ask "have you been depressed lately", well, yeah, for about 2 years. Ha. Hopefully the world will calm down.


About Me

My photo
Bastrop, Texas, United States
I Grew up in a small town , Magdalena, New Mexico. I enjoy art and the pleasure other people get from my work. I always donate some of my sales and art to charities, especially for children. That started in Bolivia with Para los Niños. "I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colors. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns." -- Winston Churchill

Labels

#inktober (48) #inktober2019 (27) #inktober2023 (20) #inktober21 (11) abstract (1) Acrylic Paintings (75) Arizona (3) Art House Project (14) artist (88) artist blogger (355) artist blogger  instruction (3) artist blogger  instruction (20) artist blogger  instruction (17) artist blogger instruction (40) artist friend (7) at (1) Balloons (1) Baseball (204) Bastrop Sketchers (11) Bastrop TX (34) Bolivia (5) Calendar (1) Canada (3) Challenge (5) Charity Events (74) chile (4) classes (3) coaster sketch (9) colored pencil (58) computer art (5) DailyPaintworks Auction (3) demo video (4) Digital Painting (14) doodle (1) dphotos (1) exhibit (154) Figure (4) Fine Art Friends (3) Floweb browsing (1) Flowers (33) food (10) Footwork (1) fused glass (3) Gallery (3) gluten free (5) Golden Open paints (2) Golf (12) House Concert (1) iMac Sketch (1) Inktense (2) inst (1) instruction (75) iPad Sketch (90) iPad sketches (102) iph (1) iPhone painting (3) iPhone sketch (24) jo (1) Jo's Notion (9) Jo's Thoughts (298) Joanna (2) Joodles (2) Landscapes (137) Marines (29) marketing (3) meme (6) Music (68) New Mexico (130) Nonsense (2) Oil Painting (72) Oil Pastel (1) painting buddies (1) PanPastel works (3) Pastel (29) Pastel Demo (60) Pastel Paintings (408) pastel sketch (129) Pastels (12) pears (3) Peru (1) Photo (83) photography (1) Photos (970) Plein air painting (56) podcast (1) poll (1) pottery (2) Powwow (3) Recipe (6) restaurants (6) scenery (17) Sculptor (7) sculpture (4) seascape (2) sketch (4) Sketches (1784) snow (2) Still Life (36) Stu (1) Studio (26) Texas (69) Trees (36) tribute (5) under painting (1) Unsorted (7) videos (4) watercolor (178) watercolors (9) web browsing (262) web page (11) wetcanvas (1) WIP work in progress (15) workshop (8) World Blog Hop (2) Yesterfest (2) zentangle (2)