Website Jo Castillo Art




Back to my website:

Saturday, January 15, 2022

Hurry Up and Sketch

I was feeling rushed in both of these sketches.  The first one because I wanted to have a sketch for Mary's Hunt on the Scavenger Hunts from Life on Thursday.  The second was at breakfast Friday and we were in a hurry to get busy with our errands for the day.  It is supposed to be cold today and  tomorrow.  Cold for us about 55 today and 60 tomorrow.  Maybe a light freeze in the early mornings so that is why I mention the cold and going out and about yesterday.

I sketched with my pastels for Number 1, something with a weird shape or texture.  I first thought I would do a patterned background for pastel class and put lace under the Anthurium plant for a painting.  As soon as I started I realized I wasn't going to devote my time to painting lace yet again.  It is fun to get the look, but I was "rushed", at least in my mind.  The plant has such rough leaves and odd shapes.  It would be easier to paint it larger or with pencils or ink.  Maybe another time before the plant dies under my non green thumb.  Thus a sketch.


The sketch is on a piece of MiTeintes paper that I wiped off the cup and plate the other day.


Not sure if you can see that there is a double red leaf on the upper left red flower.

At breakfast at the Texas Grill I had another different cup I haven't sketched before.  I pulled out a coaster even though we were in a hurry.


Number 2, something that sparks joy - a bit of a stretch but a good cup of coffee in a different mug does make me happy!  I really think of joy as more of a time like hearing a child laugh out loud and having fun.

We did get our errands done.  We made it home and had some salmon burgers for dinner.  H.E.B. makes the patties with jalapeños and corn and ?? mixed into the ground salmon.  We don't eat them like a burger.  We grill them and eat them with a baked potato and vegetables.  They are very good.  They make several flavors.  One has bacon, another has blue cheese and cranberries. 

 
 

4 comments:

Joan Tavolott said...

Nice work on the anthurium plant. I completely understand not doing a lace background. It is a lot of work to do lace.

Jo Castillo said...

Joan, thank you. I would only do "real" lace for a painting, just the feel for a sketch. I'm not that much of a realist. Ha.

Bag Blog said...

I was awed that you knew the name of that plant. I usually kill a plant long before I know what it is. I recently gave one away hopefully to someone who can save it. You did a nice little sketch of the plant.

It has been cold here, and windy. Today was downright chilly.

Jo Castillo said...

Bag Blog, I remembered the plant from the 60s. I worked for Continental Airlines and they started flying to Hawaii and the Micronesian Islands. They brought huge anthuriums to the offices. I had never seen such a small plant as this one. It is just about a foot tall including the pot. It is still alive by the way. Someone said they call it "artists' palette" or "little boys' plant". Hmmmm.


About Me

My photo
Bastrop, Texas, United States
I Grew up in a small town , Magdalena, New Mexico. I enjoy art and the pleasure other people get from my work. I always donate some of my sales and art to charities, especially for children. That started in Bolivia with Para los Niños. "I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colors. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns." -- Winston Churchill

Labels

#inktober (48) #inktober2019 (27) #inktober2023 (20) #inktober21 (11) abstract (1) Acrylic Paintings (75) Arizona (3) Art House Project (14) artist (88) artist blogger (356) artist blogger  instruction (3) artist blogger  instruction (20) artist blogger  instruction (17) artist blogger instruction (40) artist friend (7) at (1) Balloons (1) Baseball (206) Bastrop Sketchers (11) Bastrop TX (34) Bolivia (5) Calendar (1) Canada (3) Challenge (5) Charity Events (74) chile (4) classes (3) coaster sketch (9) colored pencil (58) computer art (5) DailyPaintworks Auction (3) demo video (4) Digital Painting (14) doodle (1) dphotos (1) exhibit (155) Figure (4) Fine Art Friends (3) Floweb browsing (1) Flowers (33) food (10) Footwork (1) fused glass (3) Gallery (3) gluten free (5) Golden Open paints (2) Golf (12) House Concert (1) iMac Sketch (1) Inktense (2) inst (1) instruction (75) iPad Sketch (90) iPad sketches (102) iph (1) iPhone painting (3) iPhone sketch (24) jo (1) Jo's Notion (9) Jo's Thoughts (298) Joanna (2) Joodles (2) Landscapes (137) Marines (29) marketing (3) meme (6) Music (68) New Mexico (130) Nonsense (2) Oil Painting (72) Oil Pastel (1) painting buddies (1) PanPastel works (3) Pastel (29) Pastel Demo (60) Pastel Paintings (408) pastel sketch (129) Pastels (12) pears (3) Peru (1) Photo (83) photography (1) Photos (975) Plein air painting (56) podcast (1) poll (1) pottery (2) Powwow (3) Recipe (6) restaurants (6) scenery (17) Sculptor (7) sculpture (4) seascape (2) sketch (4) Sketches (1797) snow (2) Still Life (36) Stu (1) Studio (26) Texas (70) Trees (36) tribute (5) under painting (1) Unsorted (7) videos (4) watercolor (178) watercolors (13) web browsing (262) web page (11) wetcanvas (1) WIP work in progress (15) workshop (8) World Blog Hop (2) Yesterfest (2) zentangle (2)