Website Jo Castillo Art




Back to my website:

Sunday, August 09, 2020

Pastel Sketches Transformed

Sketches are only sketches even when done with pastels .. or especially when done with pastels.  Storage is always a problem.  I think it is good to reuse the paper and store the photos of the sketches.  The pastels are buried somewhere and I never see them again.  Sketchbooks with watercolors and ink are filled and stored.  They don't take a lot of room but don't see them often, right?  Finished paintings should take up most of the storage space and walls.

It is easy to transform the pastel sketches.  I brush off most of the pastel with a paint brush, then wipe with a cloth.  If the paper takes water, I then brush with water and a paint brush to get a thinner under painting.  That is what I did today.  This sketch of a javelina was going to be a finished painting.  I'm not sure why but I didn't like the feel of it and abandoned it sometime back.



I wiped it off then sketched for Scavenger Hunt 643 with a variety of pastels on the paper, UArt 400 grit, 9 x 12 inches.

Number 3, flower
https://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/topic/scavenger-hunt-643-aug-3-11/ 

I'm not sure what kind of hanging flower this is.  The stems are sort of tube like and the flowers close up when the sun isn't around. 


**  ***  **  ***  **

I was thinking of Enid Wood when I sat my sketch on the TV stand to look it over.  That is Enid's painting above mine on the wall.  I enjoy seeing it and always smile.  We purchased it at an auction, I think for the Food Pantry.  It is surely talked about someplace on this blog.  Enid is a wonderful painter and teacher.  Her website is full of beauty and learning opportunities.  https://www.enidwood.com/





A couple of days ago, we saw these riders out by the lakes.  Too bad I didn't see them sooner to get a better photo.


 



7 comments:

Joan Tavolott said...

I could see you scrambling to sketch the horses before they were gone. :) It makes sense to reuse the pastel paper. I know I get buried under all the sketches and loose papers from my paintings. lol I don't know if you know of Rob Sketcherman who does digital art..and is a master. He started doing that because he lives in a tiny apt in Hong Kong and he had no room to store any artwork done in sketchbooks or on paper.

Bag Blog said...

I like the javelina sketch. Maybe you should try it again. Flowers are always nice, but the pig is wild - more fun.

Jo Castillo said...

Joan, ha! I'm not that fast, I barely got two photos. Rob Sketcherman has the right idea, eh? I looked him up. Amazing artist. It's like reading a book, sometimes it is good to just hold paper in your hands.

Bag Blog, thanks. I was trying the javelina because someone asked if I had a drawing of one. I thought she might buy a painting if I painted one. Maybe the "commision" feeling of the painting put me off. May try it again sometime. No live models, drat.

Bag Blog said...

"No live models, drat" made me lol. I have a few photos of the neighbors pig that used to come visiting.

Jo Castillo said...

Bag Blog, pigs are cuter than javelinas. You should paint some.

Joanna said...

Sorry about the Javelina but I love the flowers!

Jo Castillo said...

Joanna, thank you. I was pleased with the flowers and don't miss the javelina. :-)


About Me

My photo
Bastrop, Texas, United States
I Grew up in a small town , Magdalena, New Mexico. I enjoy art and the pleasure other people get from my work. I always donate some of my sales and art to charities, especially for children. That started in Bolivia with Para los Niños. "I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colors. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns." -- Winston Churchill

Labels

#inktober (48) #inktober2019 (27) #inktober2023 (20) #inktober21 (11) abstract (1) Acrylic Paintings (75) Arizona (3) Art House Project (14) artist (88) artist blogger (356) artist blogger  instruction (3) artist blogger  instruction (20) artist blogger  instruction (17) artist blogger instruction (40) artist friend (7) at (1) Balloons (1) Baseball (206) Bastrop Sketchers (11) Bastrop TX (34) Bolivia (5) Calendar (1) Canada (3) Challenge (5) Charity Events (74) chile (4) classes (3) coaster sketch (9) colored pencil (58) computer art (5) DailyPaintworks Auction (3) demo video (4) Digital Painting (14) doodle (1) dphotos (1) exhibit (155) Figure (4) Fine Art Friends (3) Floweb browsing (1) Flowers (33) food (10) Footwork (1) fused glass (3) Gallery (3) gluten free (5) Golden Open paints (2) Golf (12) House Concert (1) iMac Sketch (1) Inktense (2) inst (1) instruction (75) iPad Sketch (90) iPad sketches (102) iph (1) iPhone painting (3) iPhone sketch (24) jo (1) Jo's Notion (9) Jo's Thoughts (298) Joanna (2) Joodles (2) Landscapes (137) Marines (29) marketing (3) meme (6) Music (68) New Mexico (130) Nonsense (2) Oil Painting (72) Oil Pastel (1) painting buddies (1) PanPastel works (3) Pastel (29) Pastel Demo (60) Pastel Paintings (408) pastel sketch (129) Pastels (12) pears (3) Peru (1) Photo (83) photography (1) Photos (972) Plein air painting (56) podcast (1) poll (1) pottery (2) Powwow (3) Recipe (6) restaurants (6) scenery (17) Sculptor (7) sculpture (4) seascape (2) sketch (4) Sketches (1792) snow (2) Still Life (36) Stu (1) Studio (26) Texas (70) Trees (36) tribute (5) under painting (1) Unsorted (7) videos (4) watercolor (178) watercolors (12) web browsing (262) web page (11) wetcanvas (1) WIP work in progress (15) workshop (8) World Blog Hop (2) Yesterfest (2) zentangle (2)