Website Jo Castillo Art




Back to my website:

Wednesday, July 01, 2020

Shade and Flowers Sketching

I remembered to take the travel sketchbook when we went to Austin yesterday.  Gene went into Harbor Freight and I stayed in the car.  "Shady" was on the list and we parked next to a little island with a tree and some shade in the midday sun.  No shade for the car.  "Substitute" was the last item on the list and we were free to sketch anything, so I picked the new hanging flowers plant.  It was nice out on the porch this morning to do just that.

Number 4, shady - This is in the travel sketchbook with the Micron 02 and then I added some watercolor after we got home and had a nap!

Number 5, substitute - it was cloudy and I suppose still some dust cloud hanging around so the sky and water were pretty gray.  The gray looks a little brown on my monitor but on the iPad it was more gray toward the black scale.  It was nice to have something "new" to sketch out on the porch.

Yesterday we had lunch at the New World Deli in Austin.  https://www.neworldeli.com/
Delicious sandwiches and soup.  Beer and wine, coffees and desserts.  Live music when they can.  Restricted to 50% seating at the moment.  Hard for them to keep going like that.  I guess their take out has increased, we live too far for that.

We plan on going to the Front Room   https://frontroomwinebar.com/  tonight in Smithville.  They are having a shrimp boil menu.  Sounds great.  It is a nice quiet, small and cozy place for wine and dinner.  They have small servings sort of tappas style so no leftovers, but excellent!

My blog is turning into a food blog .... maybe it always has been.  :-)


Click to see larger.

Oh, it turns out there were two little penguins hiding in plain sight.  Can't believe I saw the one on the left first.  I didn't see the other one until yesterday. I posted on Monday about the penguin.   I'm observant in my own studio, right?  Because there are two, I think Larry brought them and put them there as a surprise.  I would have remembered getting  two Happy Meals, wouldn't I?



8 comments:

Bag Blog said...

You and your stuffed toys are always fun. It is so funny that Gene buys you little toys. Toby pretty much refuses to eat at McDonald's unless it is breakfast, but eating McDonald's happy meals makes me shiver. I do get the Whataburger Jr. meal. Shrimp boil sounds delicious.

Jo Castillo said...

Bag Blog, way back in the late 60s I worked with a woman that used to get us burgers and fries at MacDonalds. Didn't eat there since unless there was nothing else. Not even with the kids. We got some coupons on our baseball tickets for fries so we would stop for that. I got a Happy Meal. Gene eats the sausage MacMuffins, not me! That is why I think Larry must have brought the penguins. No one owns up to it. Ha.

Mary said...

Fun post, Jo; I love your funny little mystery penguins and your earlier great sketch of one! As I browsed some of your other posts, for some reason I was very taken with the baseball caps--nice. You have such clever ideas for the hunt sketches!

Jo Castillo said...

Hi, Mary. Nice to see you here. Thanks so much for coming by. Your scarfs are so beautiful and take patience to do. Your comments boost my ego, thanks.

Joan Tavolott said...

You are making me hungry with all your descriptions of food. How fun that Larry snuck the penguins in for you to find!

Jo Castillo said...

Joan, thank you so much. The penguins are fun. I wonder how long they had been there?? The adult kiddos have only been out twice since March.

Joana said...

Larry's funny. Has he fessed up yet? :-)

Jo Castillo said...

Joanna, Ha. No fessing by Larry .. looks like it is going to be your dad. Hmmm. Don't know when?? We are always out together.


About Me

My photo
Bastrop, Texas, United States
I Grew up in a small town , Magdalena, New Mexico. I enjoy art and the pleasure other people get from my work. I always donate some of my sales and art to charities, especially for children. That started in Bolivia with Para los Niños. "I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colors. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns." -- Winston Churchill

Labels

#inktober (48) #inktober2019 (27) #inktober2023 (20) #inktober21 (11) abstract (1) Acrylic Paintings (75) Arizona (3) Art House Project (14) artist (88) artist blogger (356) artist blogger  instruction (3) artist blogger  instruction (20) artist blogger  instruction (17) artist blogger instruction (40) artist friend (7) at (1) Balloons (1) Baseball (206) Bastrop Sketchers (11) Bastrop TX (34) Bolivia (5) Calendar (1) Canada (3) Challenge (5) Charity Events (74) chile (4) classes (3) coaster sketch (9) colored pencil (58) computer art (5) DailyPaintworks Auction (3) demo video (4) Digital Painting (14) doodle (1) dphotos (1) exhibit (155) Figure (4) Fine Art Friends (3) Floweb browsing (1) Flowers (33) food (10) Footwork (1) fused glass (3) Gallery (3) gluten free (5) Golden Open paints (2) Golf (12) House Concert (1) iMac Sketch (1) Inktense (2) inst (1) instruction (76) iPad Sketch (90) iPad sketches (103) iph (1) iPhone painting (3) iPhone sketch (25) jo (1) Jo's Notion (9) Jo's Thoughts (298) Joanna (2) Joodles (2) Landscapes (137) Marines (29) marketing (3) meme (6) Music (68) New Mexico (130) Nonsense (2) Oil Painting (72) Oil Pastel (1) painting buddies (1) PanPastel works (3) Pastel (29) Pastel Demo (60) Pastel Paintings (408) pastel sketch (130) Pastels (12) pears (3) Peru (1) Photo (83) photography (1) Photos (976) Plein air painting (56) podcast (1) poll (1) pottery (2) Powwow (3) Recipe (6) restaurants (6) scenery (17) Sculptor (7) sculpture (4) seascape (2) sketch (4) Sketches (1799) snow (2) Still Life (36) Stu (1) Studio (26) Texas (70) Trees (36) tribute (5) under painting (1) Unsorted (7) videos (4) watercolor (178) watercolors (13) web browsing (262) web page (11) wetcanvas (1) WIP work in progress (15) workshop (8) World Blog Hop (2) Yesterfest (2) zentangle (2)