Website Jo Castillo Art




Back to my website:

Monday, April 06, 2020

Jenna's Armadillo in Watercolor

I never would have thought of painting or sketching an armadillo.  My grandkids and I made some Christmas ornaments one year when they were visiting.  That is twenty five years or so in the past.  Yikes!

Jenna Hestekin  furnished the photos for the April Challenge on wetcanvas in the Southwest Forum.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1479396

Jenna is so talented.  Sketching, painting, wire sculpture, author and more.  We are reading her latest book, Bicker and Soolivans.  Gene finished and I'm reading now.  Very good, Civil War days.   Check out her art and writing.  (http://thecozyred.wordpress.com/)

I chose her armadillo to sketch/paint for the Challenge.  (click image to see larger)

Jenna's Armadillo
Watercolor and Ink
12 x 9 inches in a watercolor sketchbook

Armadillos are not too pretty and such an odd looking creature.  I'm fairly pleased with the sketch.  I need background and shadow work.  That means I have to do more watercolors, right?  One of these days.... (me procrastinating)

________________________________________


Gene put this quote in his journal today. 

“Never put off till tomorrow what may be done day after tomorrow just as well.”― Mark Twain

That is perfect for me, the procrastinator.  Procrastination, good or bad?  See this post I put up in 2010 with an article by Clint Watson.  You may find procrastination is good.

https://jocastilloartblog.blogspot.com/search?q=procrastination

The links in the article from 2010 seem to work.  You can sign up for Clint's news here.

9 comments:

Joan Tavolott said...

I like the armadillo but they are rather unusual creatures. They remind me of overgrown horseshoe crabs. In this world we are living I am finding it very easy to procrastinate and get nearly nothing done...I have still been able to get at least something small piece of art done.

Jo Castillo said...

Thank you, Joan. They are the State critter I think here in Texas. Pretty much nocturnal so we don't see many except roadkill. Haven't seen those even in a while. They are pretty pesty in gardens I hear.

It has been hard to do art. I think it is that our minds can't focus well. Maybe that is why small works.

Bag Blog said...

My friend and veterinarian tells me stories about another vet friend who has an armadillo as a pet. She says armadillos make good pets - go figure! I like your watercolor sketch. Be brave with your color. And as for procrastination - what can I say? We are sisters.

Jo Castillo said...

Ha, Bag Blog. Sisters for sure!
Watercolor does take practice. Joanna wants my watercolor sketchbook when it is finished. She is the reason I have any watercolor supplies, she likes watercolor. So.......

Gene said...

Bag Blog and here I thought was your only weird friend! Gene

Jennifer Rose said...

armadillos are cute in and odd way lol
and yep, more watercolour practice ;)

Jo Castillo said...

Gene, you are funny.

Jennifer Rose, I should be practicing now with all this time on my hands. Sigh...

Jennifer Rose said...

but really only practice if you want too, this is a stressful enough time as it is to put anymore stress in your life :)

Jo Castillo said...

Jennifer Rose, there is a danger I will get too laid back and just become a couch potato. Easy for me.


About Me

My photo
Bastrop, Texas, United States
I Grew up in a small town , Magdalena, New Mexico. I enjoy art and the pleasure other people get from my work. I always donate some of my sales and art to charities, especially for children. That started in Bolivia with Para los Niños. "I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colors. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns." -- Winston Churchill

Labels

#inktober (48) #inktober2019 (27) #inktober2023 (20) #inktober21 (11) abstract (1) Acrylic Paintings (75) Arizona (3) Art House Project (14) artist (88) artist blogger (356) artist blogger  instruction (3) artist blogger  instruction (20) artist blogger  instruction (17) artist blogger instruction (40) artist friend (7) at (1) Balloons (1) Baseball (206) Bastrop Sketchers (11) Bastrop TX (34) Bolivia (5) Calendar (1) Canada (3) Challenge (5) Charity Events (74) chile (4) classes (3) coaster sketch (9) colored pencil (59) computer art (5) DailyPaintworks Auction (3) demo video (4) Digital Painting (14) doodle (1) dphotos (1) exhibit (156) Figure (4) Fine Art Friends (3) Floweb browsing (1) Flowers (33) food (10) Footwork (1) fused glass (3) Gallery (3) gluten free (5) Golden Open paints (2) Golf (12) House Concert (1) iMac Sketch (1) Inktense (2) inst (1) instruction (76) iPad Sketch (90) iPad sketches (103) iph (1) iPhone painting (3) iPhone sketch (26) jo (1) Jo's Notion (9) Jo's Thoughts (299) Joanna (2) Joodles (2) Landscapes (137) Marines (29) marketing (3) meme (6) Music (68) New Mexico (130) Nonsense (2) Oil Painting (72) Oil Pastel (1) painting buddies (1) PanPastel works (3) Pastel (29) Pastel Demo (60) Pastel Paintings (408) pastel sketch (132) Pastels (12) pears (3) Peru (1) Photo (83) photography (1) Photos (981) Plein air painting (56) podcast (1) poll (1) pottery (2) Powwow (3) Recipe (6) restaurants (6) scenery (17) Sculptor (7) sculpture (4) seascape (2) sketch (4) Sketches (1804) snow (2) Still Life (36) Stu (1) Studio (26) Texas (70) Trees (36) tribute (5) under painting (1) Unsorted (7) videos (4) watercolor (178) watercolors (13) web browsing (262) web page (11) wetcanvas (1) WIP work in progress (15) workshop (8) World Blog Hop (2) Yesterfest (2) zentangle (2)