Website Jo Castillo Art




Back to my website:

Friday, April 03, 2020

Don't Fence Me In

We are a little stir crazy and feel a bit fenced in.  We are in much better shape than many people in our country and around the world.  We try to do what we can to support our local community which helps our country I think.  I looked up on YouTube about how to make some face masks for us to wear when we go grocery shopping.  We are doing our social distancing as I mentioned.  We stay home a lot anyway but miss our outings to baseball and music.    Gene and I are not suffering in the way that some will and are.  Our family is OK at the moment.

Fence was an item on the list.  Today it was supposed to be rainy with thunderstorms.  So far not much.  I sat in the laundry room and sketched the fence on the porch.  You can see a bit of a fence at the house across the way as well.

 Number 4, fence - in the big book with a Micron 02

Vista del Rey
Oil on canvas panel, 9 x 12 inches

I painted this in Angel Fire last summer.  I wanted to look at it again.  :-)  It really feels good to smoosh the oil paints around with a brush sometimes.  I just don't like the drying time.  You know, watching paint dry.  

I use a limited palette.  I put white, a cool and warm yellow, cadmium red, alizarin crimson, burnt umber or black, blue, something like sap green and a blue green or a greenish blue.   I put orange and a purple at times to save mixing.  I mix on the palette with a knife or the brush if it is a small amount with a small brush.  I usually sketch with a thinned down burnt umber on a brush to establish the big shapes.  When painting outside I put the light and dark shadows quickly before the light changes.  I usually paint all over the painting to keep the overall color unified. I put some shade of red in pine trees and use purple and orange with the greens.  This gives a more natural color.

How do you work on a landscape?

______________________________________


The International Association of Pastel Societies (IAPS) cancelled the convention in Albuquerque this May.  (More people affected by the virus)  They are having the Exhibition online.  You can see the entries on this link.  Some great paintings.  Some names I recognize.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1479174


J.R. Secor is an artist I met on wetcanvas.  He paints with acrylics mostly on big canvases and linen paper.  His favorites are the southwest and the ocean where he lives in Florida.  I  like to see his paintings of New Mexico of course.  He stretches the imagination from representational to abstract.  Always colorful and interesting.  You can see his work on his new website and his blog.





6 comments:

Rose Welty said...

Hey Jo, these are crazy times, but having your blog posts more often definitely helps!! Glad you are taking the time for some art. Sending love...

Jo Castillo said...

Hi rose, thank you for your support, that helps, too. Sending love and hugs back. Take care.

Bag Blog said...

I like your oil, but I'm with you on the drying time. I'm painting an oil right now with my little art student, Alayna. She likes oil more than acrylic. There are some great things about oil, the way they feel like butter and blend so nicely. But I hate waiting on the drying when I want to move on. I like establishing my darkest darks and lightest light first, and then moving to values in-between.

Jesse sent me a link this morning of one of her favorite artists. His name is Mark Maggiori. You will like him too. She has been working in gouache and colored pencil lately. I'll text you her little painting that she did this morning.

Jo Castillo said...

Bag Blog, we must be related. Ha. I like painting in oils all at once. All in one sitting , a la prima, as they say. I get bored working on something for a long time.

Looking forward to seeing Jesse's. I liked her work you showed on facebook. Very cool. Lucky me to have a couple of her plein air landscapes from the pain outs. They make me smile.

Joan Tavolott said...

Nice sketch looking out toward the yard. That oil is great!! I haven't tried oils since I was a kid and my parents bought us all oll paints for Christmas. I guess the feel of squishing the paint on the canvas with the palette knife or brush must be a fun feeling.

Jo Castillo said...

Joan, thank you. I like oils so much except for the drying time. You know I don't even have patience for a watercolor to dry in 15 minutes so X number of days is way too long. Acrylics can sometimes give you the feel, but they dry before you can get them blended. I try to use them like oils and have been successful on small paintings, not so much on larger ones. Instant gratification makes me like ink and pastels. So....


About Me

My photo
Bastrop, Texas, United States
I Grew up in a small town , Magdalena, New Mexico. I enjoy art and the pleasure other people get from my work. I always donate some of my sales and art to charities, especially for children. That started in Bolivia with Para los Niños. "I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colors. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns." -- Winston Churchill

Labels

#inktober (48) #inktober2019 (27) #inktober2023 (20) #inktober21 (11) abstract (1) Acrylic Paintings (75) Arizona (3) Art House Project (14) artist (88) artist blogger (356) artist blogger  instruction (3) artist blogger  instruction (20) artist blogger  instruction (17) artist blogger instruction (40) artist friend (7) at (1) Balloons (1) Baseball (207) Bastrop Sketchers (11) Bastrop TX (34) Bolivia (5) Calendar (1) Canada (3) Challenge (5) Charity Events (74) chile (4) classes (3) coaster sketch (9) colored pencil (59) computer art (5) DailyPaintworks Auction (3) demo video (4) Digital Painting (14) doodle (1) dphotos (1) exhibit (156) Figure (4) Fine Art Friends (3) Floweb browsing (1) Flowers (33) food (10) Footwork (1) fused glass (3) Gallery (3) gluten free (5) Golden Open paints (2) Golf (12) House Concert (1) iMac Sketch (1) Inktense (2) inst (1) instruction (76) iPad Sketch (90) iPad sketches (103) iph (1) iPhone painting (3) iPhone sketch (26) jo (1) Jo's Notion (9) Jo's Thoughts (299) Joanna (2) Joodles (2) Landscapes (137) Marines (29) marketing (3) meme (6) Music (68) New Mexico (130) Nonsense (2) Oil Painting (72) Oil Pastel (1) painting buddies (1) PanPastel works (3) Pastel (29) Pastel Demo (60) Pastel Paintings (409) pastel sketch (132) Pastels (12) pears (3) Peru (1) Photo (83) photography (1) Photos (982) Plein air painting (56) podcast (1) poll (1) pottery (2) Powwow (3) Recipe (6) restaurants (6) scenery (17) Sculptor (7) sculpture (4) seascape (2) sketch (4) Sketches (1805) snow (2) Still Life (36) Stu (1) Studio (26) Texas (70) Trees (36) tribute (5) under painting (1) Unsorted (7) videos (4) watercolor (178) watercolors (14) web browsing (262) web page (11) wetcanvas (1) WIP work in progress (15) workshop (8) World Blog Hop (2) Yesterfest (2) zentangle (2)