Website Jo Castillo Art




Back to my website:

Monday, April 20, 2020

15 Minute Difference

What a difference 15 minutes makes.  Yesterday I went out in my "mobile studio" as my friend ,Joan Tavolott  https://watercolorsbyjoan2.blogspot.com/ , calls her car.  One of the items on the Scavenger Hunt was "mailbox".  I have sketched and painted our mailbox so many times.  I decided to drive around the corner and sketch a few mailboxes that are all lined up.  "Twig or branch" was also on the list which worked out nicely.  I like this sketch and feel that it represents my idea without going overboard on detail.  And not so much the mixer sketch 15 minutes later.  What happened?

Scavenger Hunt 629



Number 2, mailbox
Number 3, twig or branch

These two sketches were done in the big book with a Micron 02.  They are on facing pages and I numbered them as they are in the book,  even though I sketched the mailboxes first.  I was at the mailboxes for about 15 minutes.  I finished the appliance at the dining table.


Number 1,  kitchen appliance - the hand mixer with dough hook blades.  It seemed like a simple item to sketch but it turns out that it was like a car with no real lines and defined edges.  I was not very happy with this sketch but it is in the big book so no going back.  An under drawing pencil sketch would have been advised.  The mixer is red.  Would colored pencil mask the perspective?  Would you then look more at the red and not so much at the drawing?  Hmmmmm.

We went for groceries yesterday.  Our grocery store, H-E-B has not had delivery to this area.  Their curbside pickup is booked about 10 days in advance.  They started a new service for senior citizen delivery but it was limited to 8 miles from the store.  We live about 12 miles out.  After we got back home I had an email from a friend that is using the delivery service and was prompted to check again.  Voilà!  We will try that next time.

Texas is loosening restrictions starting next week to try to get businesses up and running.  Us, old folks, will still have to distance at home and wear masks when out.  The only thing we do is walk  and get food.  Gene rides his trike.  Gene misses his old style grocery shopping where he stopped and chatted with everyone in the store.  Yesterday he walked around the parking lot while I shopped as they are asking for only one person to go in.   I don't like shopping but I can substitute better than Gene since I'm the cook.  They had most items on our list.  I really like our H-E-B.  They have a smoothly running system and are keeping us safe as much as they can.  They do so much for the community.

Actually this was written yesterday and we had a rainstorm so the satellite internet wouldn't work when I was writing so I abandoned the computer.

Today is my brother's in law, Roger's birthday.  Happy Birthday, Roger!

4 comments:

Joan Tavolott said...

I like the country look to the line of mailboxes! Once in a while I see a collection of them some place locally but it is not the norm. The hand mixer isn't easy to sketch. They are odd shapes...I agree. Glad you were able to get out and do some food shopping with success. I may need to go out tomorrow or the next day. I'm running out of fresh veggies and fruit which is what I depend on the most. Picturing Gene walking around the parking lot while you were shopping made me smile. Stay safe and well down there!

Jo Castillo said...

Joan, thank you for coming by and the support for my sketching. I admire all the sketching you do and keeping up with your groups on line. We are doing OK for old folks.

Bag Blog said...

The mixer sketch looks difficult, but you gave it a good go. Mailboxes are fun. We have some of those crazy lines of mailboxes around here too.

I do my Walmart shopping at the crack of dawn. The first time I did it about a month ago, it was pretty busy. It has slowed way down. I kind of like getting in and out and home by 9AM. Yesterday I did the shopping and picked up students art at CTAC and then delivered it to the Edge School - all by 9:30. It would have been even faster, but I set the alarm off at school - Ha!

Jo Castillo said...

Bag Blog, thanks. The one mailbox has a motorcycle on top. Looks like a hood ornament. Others pretty plain. You set off the alarm! Good for you, made me laugh. Hugs.


About Me

My photo
Bastrop, Texas, United States
I Grew up in a small town , Magdalena, New Mexico. I enjoy art and the pleasure other people get from my work. I always donate some of my sales and art to charities, especially for children. That started in Bolivia with Para los Niños. "I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colors. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns." -- Winston Churchill

Labels

#inktober (48) #inktober2019 (27) #inktober2023 (20) #inktober21 (11) abstract (1) Acrylic Paintings (75) Arizona (3) Art House Project (14) artist (88) artist blogger (355) artist blogger  instruction (3) artist blogger  instruction (20) artist blogger  instruction (17) artist blogger instruction (40) artist friend (7) at (1) Balloons (1) Baseball (204) Bastrop Sketchers (11) Bastrop TX (34) Bolivia (5) Calendar (1) Canada (3) Challenge (5) Charity Events (74) chile (4) classes (3) coaster sketch (9) colored pencil (58) computer art (5) DailyPaintworks Auction (3) demo video (4) Digital Painting (14) doodle (1) dphotos (1) exhibit (154) Figure (4) Fine Art Friends (3) Floweb browsing (1) Flowers (33) food (10) Footwork (1) fused glass (3) Gallery (3) gluten free (5) Golden Open paints (2) Golf (12) House Concert (1) iMac Sketch (1) Inktense (2) inst (1) instruction (75) iPad Sketch (90) iPad sketches (102) iph (1) iPhone painting (3) iPhone sketch (24) jo (1) Jo's Notion (9) Jo's Thoughts (298) Joanna (2) Joodles (2) Landscapes (137) Marines (29) marketing (3) meme (6) Music (68) New Mexico (130) Nonsense (2) Oil Painting (72) Oil Pastel (1) painting buddies (1) PanPastel works (3) Pastel (29) Pastel Demo (60) Pastel Paintings (408) pastel sketch (129) Pastels (12) pears (3) Peru (1) Photo (83) photography (1) Photos (970) Plein air painting (56) podcast (1) poll (1) pottery (2) Powwow (3) Recipe (6) restaurants (6) scenery (17) Sculptor (7) sculpture (4) seascape (2) sketch (4) Sketches (1784) snow (2) Still Life (36) Stu (1) Studio (26) Texas (69) Trees (36) tribute (5) under painting (1) Unsorted (7) videos (4) watercolor (178) watercolors (9) web browsing (262) web page (11) wetcanvas (1) WIP work in progress (15) workshop (8) World Blog Hop (2) Yesterfest (2) zentangle (2)