Website Jo Castillo Art




Back to my website:

Sunday, February 09, 2020

Upside Down Sketching and Hint

You might guess that an item was "upside down"  The red, white and blue bowls called to me again that I sketched for bowl and plate last Hunt.


Number 5, upside down - in the big book on the page with the greenback with the Lamy pen.



And here is the big sketchbook again for you that don't know about it and the post when I started it.
https://jocastilloartblog.blogspot.com/2016/01/happy-new-year-sketches-for-hunt-434.html

You would never know the bowls are red, white and blue.  Here is the pastel I did turned upside down.  I was going to cheat and just turn this one over.  Not kosher, eh?




Turning the painting upside down, taking a photo and changing to black and white are great ways to check if your painting is successful.  It is easy to see in the upside down photo that the ellipses are not true and the sides of the bowls are uneven.  The values in the black and white version are pretty good.  If this were a painting to frame, I would fix the sides of the big bowl.   I would be happy with the values.

If you don't have time to use the camera, you can look at your painting in a mirror and/or turn it upside down.

Here is another sample, the Fishing Shack from a few weeks back.




Fishing Shack
10 x 8 inches on Pastelbord


Try this with your paintings.  I find that I use color instead of value a lot and this doesn't always transfer to a successful painting.  More about that later.

2 comments:

Joan Tavolott said...

Great tip for seeing the values!!!

Jo Castillo said...

Hi Joan, Thanks. It is hard to follow through on my advice. I am a careless sketcher! I hope I do better with my paintings. Good to "see" you.


About Me

My photo
Bastrop, Texas, United States
I Grew up in a small town , Magdalena, New Mexico. I enjoy art and the pleasure other people get from my work. I always donate some of my sales and art to charities, especially for children. That started in Bolivia with Para los Niños. "I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colors. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns." -- Winston Churchill

Labels

#inktober (48) #inktober2019 (27) #inktober2023 (20) #inktober21 (11) abstract (1) Acrylic Paintings (75) Arizona (3) Art House Project (14) artist (88) artist blogger (356) artist blogger  instruction (3) artist blogger  instruction (20) artist blogger  instruction (17) artist blogger instruction (40) artist friend (7) at (1) Balloons (1) Baseball (206) Bastrop Sketchers (11) Bastrop TX (34) Bolivia (5) Calendar (1) Canada (3) Challenge (5) Charity Events (74) chile (4) classes (3) coaster sketch (9) colored pencil (58) computer art (5) DailyPaintworks Auction (3) demo video (4) Digital Painting (14) doodle (1) dphotos (1) exhibit (155) Figure (4) Fine Art Friends (3) Floweb browsing (1) Flowers (33) food (10) Footwork (1) fused glass (3) Gallery (3) gluten free (5) Golden Open paints (2) Golf (12) House Concert (1) iMac Sketch (1) Inktense (2) inst (1) instruction (75) iPad Sketch (90) iPad sketches (103) iph (1) iPhone painting (3) iPhone sketch (24) jo (1) Jo's Notion (9) Jo's Thoughts (298) Joanna (2) Joodles (2) Landscapes (137) Marines (29) marketing (3) meme (6) Music (68) New Mexico (130) Nonsense (2) Oil Painting (72) Oil Pastel (1) painting buddies (1) PanPastel works (3) Pastel (29) Pastel Demo (60) Pastel Paintings (408) pastel sketch (129) Pastels (12) pears (3) Peru (1) Photo (83) photography (1) Photos (975) Plein air painting (56) podcast (1) poll (1) pottery (2) Powwow (3) Recipe (6) restaurants (6) scenery (17) Sculptor (7) sculpture (4) seascape (2) sketch (4) Sketches (1798) snow (2) Still Life (36) Stu (1) Studio (26) Texas (70) Trees (36) tribute (5) under painting (1) Unsorted (7) videos (4) watercolor (178) watercolors (13) web browsing (262) web page (11) wetcanvas (1) WIP work in progress (15) workshop (8) World Blog Hop (2) Yesterfest (2) zentangle (2)