Website Jo Castillo Art




Back to my website:

Friday, December 27, 2019

Hunting Dogs for Sketches

I'm the host for this Scavenger Hunt and the next one.  I figure I have more time than others with children, work, etc.  But I haven't done much with family here, etc.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1474814
Scavenger Hunt 615

Number 1, dog - I put this on the list because I knew Jennie would be here with the grand-dogs, Chewie (Chewbaca) and Nala.  They move even when they are sleeping, crazy dogs!

 Chewie was so cute asleep on the little bone pillow with his chin on it and his hair smooshed down.  As soon as I started sketching he lifted his head and so......


 Nala has such a pretty head when her ears are up and she was so content with her head on the arm of the couch.  Just as I was getting it in position she moved and put her head down on the cushion so I wasn't sure how her legs were. 

Neither sketch does justice to the doggies.  I keep trying.

Number 2, Christmas Card - well, the bird didn't move on this sketch.  Using the card is easier than live birds. 

We make New Mexico food for Christmas.  Mexican and Native American influence in the flavors and style of cooking.  New Mexico chile for sure.  Jennie and I made tamales.

The masa and chile with pork for tamales.

 Filling the corn husks with the masa (dough) and adding the meat.

Tying them up.

Into the pan.

Steamed and ready to eat.



4 comments:

Joan Tavolott said...

Your tamales remind me of the time I made them at my sister's house with her friend. When Fran was sick her friend, Rosie came over a lot to help take care of her. One day she came with all the makings for tamales. I had never had them before and we made them for most of the afternoon. Her family consumes lots of them! It was fun and my sister enjoyed watching us.

Jo Castillo said...

Yes, Joan. Tamales are time intensive but not hard to do. We spend an afternoon and make enough to have over the 3 or 4 days of Christmas and a few for the freezer. We eat them for any meal.....

Helen Percy Lystra said...

You're scavenger hunt images are fun. The Tamales look good too.

Jo Castillo said...

Hi, Helen. The Scavenger Hunts keep me going when I'm not in creative mode. Sort of like homework. :-) Thanks....


About Me

My photo
Bastrop, Texas, United States
I Grew up in a small town , Magdalena, New Mexico. I enjoy art and the pleasure other people get from my work. I always donate some of my sales and art to charities, especially for children. That started in Bolivia with Para los Niños. "I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colors. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns." -- Winston Churchill

Labels

#inktober (48) #inktober2019 (27) #inktober2023 (20) #inktober21 (11) abstract (1) Acrylic Paintings (75) Arizona (3) Art House Project (14) artist (88) artist blogger (356) artist blogger  instruction (3) artist blogger  instruction (20) artist blogger  instruction (17) artist blogger instruction (40) artist friend (7) at (1) Balloons (1) Baseball (206) Bastrop Sketchers (11) Bastrop TX (34) Bolivia (5) Calendar (1) Canada (3) Challenge (5) Charity Events (74) chile (4) classes (3) coaster sketch (9) colored pencil (58) computer art (5) DailyPaintworks Auction (3) demo video (4) Digital Painting (14) doodle (1) dphotos (1) exhibit (155) Figure (4) Fine Art Friends (3) Floweb browsing (1) Flowers (33) food (10) Footwork (1) fused glass (3) Gallery (3) gluten free (5) Golden Open paints (2) Golf (12) House Concert (1) iMac Sketch (1) Inktense (2) inst (1) instruction (76) iPad Sketch (90) iPad sketches (103) iph (1) iPhone painting (3) iPhone sketch (25) jo (1) Jo's Notion (9) Jo's Thoughts (298) Joanna (2) Joodles (2) Landscapes (137) Marines (29) marketing (3) meme (6) Music (68) New Mexico (130) Nonsense (2) Oil Painting (72) Oil Pastel (1) painting buddies (1) PanPastel works (3) Pastel (29) Pastel Demo (60) Pastel Paintings (408) pastel sketch (130) Pastels (12) pears (3) Peru (1) Photo (83) photography (1) Photos (976) Plein air painting (56) podcast (1) poll (1) pottery (2) Powwow (3) Recipe (6) restaurants (6) scenery (17) Sculptor (7) sculpture (4) seascape (2) sketch (4) Sketches (1799) snow (2) Still Life (36) Stu (1) Studio (26) Texas (70) Trees (36) tribute (5) under painting (1) Unsorted (7) videos (4) watercolor (178) watercolors (13) web browsing (262) web page (11) wetcanvas (1) WIP work in progress (15) workshop (8) World Blog Hop (2) Yesterfest (2) zentangle (2)