Website Jo Castillo Art




Back to my website:

Friday, August 02, 2019

Roadway Pastel Sketch

Before I get too stale again, I brought out the pastels and painted/sketched from the garage to the roadways in front of our house.

For Scavenger Hunt 597



Number 1, roadway - so many trees and muted greens, hard to make depth and distinction of the trees without too much detail

This is the scene, I forgot to show with my easel and painting included.  Maybe I will remember next time.

I bought some gloves to wear while painting.  They are medical gloves, cheap ones from the pharmacy section.  They were actually good.  They fit well enough that I could feel the pastel sticks and blend a little.  I hadn't worn or tried gloves for many years.  The gloves are much improved.  I will recommend their use.  My hands were a bit sweaty when I took them off so if I was painting for a longer time, I would recommend a break from the gloves once in a while.  My hands and fingers get so dry when I use pastels and the dust under the fingernails is so hard to clean off.  We will see if I like them after a few tries.  Actually all painting is hard on the hands.  When I use oil paints I put vaseline around my nails.  It works, but the gloves will be a better solution.  It will create some trash but will save on water!

We went to Red River for dinner yesterday to the Red River Brewing Company  https://redriverbrewing.com/  for dinner.  It is open air and we sat just under the "inside roof" off the deck.  The food was very good.  I had some fruity ale which had blood orange juice in it.  It tasted like "beer". Surprise.   I had a chardonnay with dessert and coffee.

The Brewing company is a fun place to have drinks and dinner.  They have some games and is very busy.  The Brewing Company has a pet friendly deck.  The dog next to them was large, too.  The one near the woman barked at a couple of folks but they did finally lie down.  They barked at Gene as we walked by on the sidewalk when we left.  A young man next to them seemed a bit uncomfortable, too.  Most people were excited to see them and a few kids petted them.  Not my idea of dining companions .. you decide.

7 comments:

Jennifer Rose said...

big drooly dogs lol im a big dog fan but not that close to the table lol

lovely interpretation of the roadway scene, the colours are gorgeous

Jo Castillo said...

Jennifer Rose, ha. Your dog doesn't look drooly. Thanks, I do like color as you know.

hmuxo said...

A beautiful scene, Jo. I love this painting and all the colors you put in it.

Jo Castillo said...

hmuxo, thank you so much. I always push color. :-)

Jennifer Rose said...

no sky isn't drooly, the great Dane I had was though lol

Joanna said...

I hope the gloves work out.

I went to see some music on Sunday at a sotol distillery in Driftwood and could not believe how busy it was. It’s in the midfle of nowhere and it had nonstop visitors.

Jo Castillo said...

Jennifer Rose, that is probably a small reason we have no dogs. It is nice to be able to just lock the door and leave.

Joanna, The gloves seem to work well. In the old days they were too thick and stiff. Can't really feel these.
Music sounds good, interesting how busy the out of the way places can be, reminds me of Murphy's Steakhouse in Winchester.


About Me

My photo
Bastrop, Texas, United States
I Grew up in a small town , Magdalena, New Mexico. I enjoy art and the pleasure other people get from my work. I always donate some of my sales and art to charities, especially for children. That started in Bolivia with Para los NiƱos. "I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colors. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns." -- Winston Churchill

Labels

#inktober (48) #inktober2019 (27) #inktober2023 (20) #inktober21 (11) abstract (1) Acrylic Paintings (75) Arizona (3) Art House Project (14) artist (88) artist blogger (356) artist blogger  instruction (3) artist blogger  instruction (20) artist blogger  instruction (17) artist blogger instruction (40) artist friend (7) at (1) Balloons (1) Baseball (206) Bastrop Sketchers (11) Bastrop TX (34) Bolivia (5) Calendar (1) Canada (3) Challenge (5) Charity Events (74) chile (4) classes (3) coaster sketch (9) colored pencil (58) computer art (5) DailyPaintworks Auction (3) demo video (4) Digital Painting (14) doodle (1) dphotos (1) exhibit (155) Figure (4) Fine Art Friends (3) Floweb browsing (1) Flowers (33) food (10) Footwork (1) fused glass (3) Gallery (3) gluten free (5) Golden Open paints (2) Golf (12) House Concert (1) iMac Sketch (1) Inktense (2) inst (1) instruction (75) iPad Sketch (90) iPad sketches (102) iph (1) iPhone painting (3) iPhone sketch (24) jo (1) Jo's Notion (9) Jo's Thoughts (298) Joanna (2) Joodles (2) Landscapes (137) Marines (29) marketing (3) meme (6) Music (68) New Mexico (130) Nonsense (2) Oil Painting (72) Oil Pastel (1) painting buddies (1) PanPastel works (3) Pastel (29) Pastel Demo (60) Pastel Paintings (408) pastel sketch (129) Pastels (12) pears (3) Peru (1) Photo (83) photography (1) Photos (972) Plein air painting (56) podcast (1) poll (1) pottery (2) Powwow (3) Recipe (6) restaurants (6) scenery (17) Sculptor (7) sculpture (4) seascape (2) sketch (4) Sketches (1792) snow (2) Still Life (36) Stu (1) Studio (26) Texas (70) Trees (36) tribute (5) under painting (1) Unsorted (7) videos (4) watercolor (178) watercolors (12) web browsing (262) web page (11) wetcanvas (1) WIP work in progress (15) workshop (8) World Blog Hop (2) Yesterfest (2) zentangle (2)