Website Jo Castillo Art




Back to my website:

Monday, February 18, 2019

Home Again, Jiggity Jig (pastel sketch)

We got home a few days ago.  It was a fast and good trip to New Mexico. We went to visit family.  It was pretty cold there,  but that was expected.  It was very cold here while we were gone and I am glad to have missed that. The temperature got up to 84 degrees on Friday.  Now we are back to the normal of high 50s and low 60s.  It was about 67 on the porch a while ago and I sat there for a while.

I sketched a couple of days ago for the February Challenge in the Southwest forum on wet canvas.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1460855

Pastel Sketch, about 40 minutes on the piece of recycled sanded paper.  The ears are still off after I corrected them once.  I won't work on it anymore as it is a sketch and will be wiped off again.  The light was bad in my studio, I thought I was putting orange on as a complement to the blue.  When I got it out in the sun to take the photo it was oops, pink.

This is from a photo that our granddaughter sent of their twin calves, I think last year.  I posted the photo of the twins along with others for the February Challenge.  You are welcome to look at the photos there and sketch or paint from them to post or just for fun.  You might find a photo that will interest you or challenge you.  I cropped this one to sketch the one calf's head instead of the whole photo.


UT Baseball is underway and I ran across this photo from a couple of years ago.  The Longhorns played in Lafayette, Louisiana, against the Ragin' Cajuns this past weekend.  They won the first two games and lost the Sunday game.  I listened to the Saturday game.  Keith Moreland was announcing along with Tom Bradford.  Always fun to listen to Keith.

The Horns play in Rice on Tuesday night and will open at home on Friday against Perdue.  I imagine we will go to the games if it isn't too cold.

7 comments:

Gene said...

I still think you need to work on the calf's ears and face does not look like a real calf to me. Ears not level and not a good shape face is too fat, me thinks. Sorry

Bag Blog said...

Getting home is always good. I'm sitting in front of the woodstove with a fire going. We are expected to have bad weather. I saw a thang on FB that said, "Will it rain or will it snow. I live in Oklahoma, so I don't know."

Jo Castillo said...

Gene, what do you know about calves? Your dad was a sheepherder from Spain! By the way, I wiped it off for a new sketch anyway.

Bag Blog, Glad you are warm. Funny and true saying, made me smile. We have 43 and rain. Brrrr.

Joan Tavolott said...

Cute calf. I'm no calf expert so I'm not giving advice. Glad you had a safe, good trip. We have been having very mixed weather. Yesterday there was misty rain, a few snowflakes and then sunshine with temps around 40. Today is blue skies but colder and snow forecast for tomorrow night. I think I'd rather have warmer weather. lol

Jo Castillo said...

Thanks, Joan. No advice needed, it is wiped off! lol The weather has been weird. You are so good to get out in all types and sketch. I stick to the indoors when it is not good.

Joanna said...

I can't believe baseball season is already upon us again!

Jo Castillo said...

Joanna, you are right. It sneaked up on us. Surprise!


About Me

My photo
Bastrop, Texas, United States
I Grew up in a small town , Magdalena, New Mexico. I enjoy art and the pleasure other people get from my work. I always donate some of my sales and art to charities, especially for children. That started in Bolivia with Para los Niños. "I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colors. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns." -- Winston Churchill

Labels

#inktober (48) #inktober2019 (27) #inktober2023 (20) #inktober21 (11) abstract (1) Acrylic Paintings (75) Arizona (3) Art House Project (14) artist (88) artist blogger (355) artist blogger  instruction (3) artist blogger  instruction (20) artist blogger  instruction (17) artist blogger instruction (40) artist friend (7) at (1) Balloons (1) Baseball (204) Bastrop Sketchers (11) Bastrop TX (34) Bolivia (5) Calendar (1) Canada (3) Challenge (5) Charity Events (74) chile (4) classes (3) coaster sketch (9) colored pencil (58) computer art (5) DailyPaintworks Auction (3) demo video (4) Digital Painting (14) doodle (1) dphotos (1) exhibit (154) Figure (4) Fine Art Friends (3) Floweb browsing (1) Flowers (33) food (10) Footwork (1) fused glass (3) Gallery (3) gluten free (5) Golden Open paints (2) Golf (12) House Concert (1) iMac Sketch (1) Inktense (2) inst (1) instruction (75) iPad Sketch (90) iPad sketches (102) iph (1) iPhone painting (3) iPhone sketch (24) jo (1) Jo's Notion (9) Jo's Thoughts (298) Joanna (2) Joodles (2) Landscapes (137) Marines (29) marketing (3) meme (6) Music (68) New Mexico (130) Nonsense (2) Oil Painting (72) Oil Pastel (1) painting buddies (1) PanPastel works (3) Pastel (29) Pastel Demo (60) Pastel Paintings (408) pastel sketch (129) Pastels (12) pears (3) Peru (1) Photo (83) photography (1) Photos (970) Plein air painting (56) podcast (1) poll (1) pottery (2) Powwow (3) Recipe (6) restaurants (6) scenery (17) Sculptor (7) sculpture (4) seascape (2) sketch (4) Sketches (1784) snow (2) Still Life (36) Stu (1) Studio (26) Texas (69) Trees (36) tribute (5) under painting (1) Unsorted (7) videos (4) watercolor (178) watercolors (9) web browsing (262) web page (11) wetcanvas (1) WIP work in progress (15) workshop (8) World Blog Hop (2) Yesterfest (2) zentangle (2)