Website Jo Castillo Art




Back to my website:

Thursday, January 17, 2019

Plein Air Day?

Yesterday was the plein air group painting day.  It was "cold" for here, about 50 degrees F.  I know, I know, but one reason we live here is for the mild winters.  The group decided to paint indoors at the Lost Pines Art Center
  and paint a still life.  They put chairs and tables out for us and were pleased for us to be there.


Painting a still life in person and not from a photo gives your eye the same type training as plein air:  working with big shapes, shadow color and perspective.  I much prefer working from life as opposed to photos.

I felt the easiest equipment to take was watercolors.  Less weight and not as cumbersome.  We put some of the items together and had a go at it.

This is pretty much a sketch so am using it for Scavenger Hunt 572, number 6, textures.  Quite a few textures.  8 x 10 inches in the watercolor sketchbook.

I forgot to leave white for the most part.  I remembered for the large reflection on the bottle and the flowers.  I used gouache for the white on the label and the glass.  I am always lazy/stingy to put out enough paint (another reason to like pastels) and make enough color puddles for large areas to be consistent.  A learning exercise.

When finished they were going to toss the wine.  I volunteered to drink it.  I love drinking/eating my models.

I mentioned this in the Southwest forum on wetcanvas and received the following remarks.  Made me smile and chuckle.
       Richard:  Do you call that " plein air wine-ing?"
       Hud:  Jo: I have always found that wine "mixes" well with paint ... adds a nice warm glow to the painting.

I have been remiss in pointing to some of my other favorite artists on-line.  Rose Welty is one of my Fine Art Friends.  We formed a group to support each other and to give advice and critique our work.  We haven't been an active group but know we are there if needed.  It was a good way to kick our professional side into gear.  You will find links to Rose, Valerie, Belinda and Kasie on the side bar under Fine Art Friends.

Rose is in North Carolina.  She is one of the most dedicated artists I know.  She reads and studies and practices and inspires.    Check out her colorful work and information on her website.  Subscribe to her newsletter.  You will like it!
https://rosewelty.com/

7 comments:

Regina said...

Great job, Jo! That glass is really good.
I know we are supposed to learn more as an artist from plein air, but being a sky painter (and a short-attention-span pastelist), I actually prefer photos. I should try plein air more, it is much cooler in NC than TX!

Jennifer Rose said...

Rose is a great artist! :)

im not a wine fan, rum on the other hand.... :p

Rose Welty said...

Jo, thank you for your kind words and the shout out! I am very thankful for our friendship over the years.

I was chatting with some WC artists the other day and we discussed mixing up paint before or as we go along...most of us prefer to do it as we go because you get variance that way. So maybe you are doing it right? I'm proud of you for taking the watercolors to paint with...your classes have given you confidence. 👍

Jo Castillo said...

Thanks, Regina. Yep it is really hard to capture clouds in plein air, they change so fast. As does the light. That is one reason that still life is good, it doesn't move around. Flowers or vegetables droop, but you can do them first or last. :-)

Jo Castillo said...

Jennifer Rose, you are right about Rose. We don't keep rum in the house. I haven't had any in years .. I wonder about now.... hmmm.

Jo Castillo said...

Rose, Hi and thank you. This shows exactly why you are a Fine Art Friend. Always a pleasure to visit with you.

Bag Blog said...

We had a big shindig in Duncan last night. The big dogs in town are having an awards thang. Last night was a meet and greet. Tonight is the awards ceremony. I'm not getting an award,but I was asked to show a couple of paintings at the meet and greet. Then they charged us $28 to attend. So I tried to drink $28 worth of wine :)


About Me

My photo
Bastrop, Texas, United States
I Grew up in a small town , Magdalena, New Mexico. I enjoy art and the pleasure other people get from my work. I always donate some of my sales and art to charities, especially for children. That started in Bolivia with Para los Niños. "I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colors. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns." -- Winston Churchill

Labels

#inktober (48) #inktober2019 (27) #inktober2023 (20) #inktober21 (11) abstract (1) Acrylic Paintings (75) Arizona (3) Art House Project (14) artist (88) artist blogger (356) artist blogger  instruction (3) artist blogger  instruction (20) artist blogger  instruction (17) artist blogger instruction (40) artist friend (7) at (1) Balloons (1) Baseball (206) Bastrop Sketchers (11) Bastrop TX (34) Bolivia (5) Calendar (1) Canada (3) Challenge (5) Charity Events (74) chile (4) classes (3) coaster sketch (9) colored pencil (58) computer art (5) DailyPaintworks Auction (3) demo video (4) Digital Painting (14) doodle (1) dphotos (1) exhibit (155) Figure (4) Fine Art Friends (3) Floweb browsing (1) Flowers (33) food (10) Footwork (1) fused glass (3) Gallery (3) gluten free (5) Golden Open paints (2) Golf (12) House Concert (1) iMac Sketch (1) Inktense (2) inst (1) instruction (75) iPad Sketch (90) iPad sketches (102) iph (1) iPhone painting (3) iPhone sketch (24) jo (1) Jo's Notion (9) Jo's Thoughts (298) Joanna (2) Joodles (2) Landscapes (137) Marines (29) marketing (3) meme (6) Music (68) New Mexico (130) Nonsense (2) Oil Painting (72) Oil Pastel (1) painting buddies (1) PanPastel works (3) Pastel (29) Pastel Demo (60) Pastel Paintings (408) pastel sketch (129) Pastels (12) pears (3) Peru (1) Photo (83) photography (1) Photos (972) Plein air painting (56) podcast (1) poll (1) pottery (2) Powwow (3) Recipe (6) restaurants (6) scenery (17) Sculptor (7) sculpture (4) seascape (2) sketch (4) Sketches (1792) snow (2) Still Life (36) Stu (1) Studio (26) Texas (70) Trees (36) tribute (5) under painting (1) Unsorted (7) videos (4) watercolor (178) watercolors (12) web browsing (262) web page (11) wetcanvas (1) WIP work in progress (15) workshop (8) World Blog Hop (2) Yesterfest (2) zentangle (2)