Website Jo Castillo Art




Back to my website:

Friday, November 16, 2018

Learning in Spite

Have you stopped learning?  Oops... not an option.

As artists, we are always learning.  Every time we pick up a brush, pen or other art tool and make a stroke we learn something new.  We learn in spite of ourselves.  So many things go into a painting.  Composition, color, value, design, shapes, light, technique, perspective both in design and aerial.  And the list can go on. 

Then we have the medium chosen.  Sometimes the subject calls  for pastel - real hands on.  Once in a while for oil beckons us to smoosh the paint around.  Ink is fast and immediate, not much turning back.

Now in the watercolor class patience is required.  It will come through practice and experience in the medium.

Artists learn from listening, watching and doing.  Absorbing what goes on around us helps a great deal.  It is good to create with friends, visit museums and try new things.  Everyday items can be beautiful.  Workshops are a good source of learning.  We need to choose wisely and then practice what we learn and use what works for us. 

Teaching someone else is learning, too.  Teaching reminds the teacher why he/she does something in a certain way.  We are inspired by the imagination and creativity of student artists.

How do you learn and what is your favorite medium? 


 ***  **  ***  **  ***  **  ***




I sketched for Scavenger Hunt 564.  http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1456765
Number 7, yogurt and Number 8, little - a little brass box with a porcelain inlaid top.  I bought this and a larger one and a porcelain box to paint in a still life several years ago.  Have I done it?  No.  They will call to me one of these days.




5 comments:

Jennifer Rose said...

I don't have time to learn lol a least not for art, learning a lot about science fiction though :)

Bag Blog said...

You know me. I love pastels, but I work lots in watercolor, because it is fast, easy, and cheap - like me :) I learn more by observation and hands on. If someone talks too much, they will lose me. Well, I can focus, but I'm stubborn like that.

Joan Tavolott said...

I like your cosy couch below.

Every time we do art we learn a little...maybe about form, maybe about shadows, maybe about a new medium. I tend to get stuck in a rut and it is nice to change things up once in a while. We learn that way too.

Jo Castillo said...

Jennifer Rose, yep when in classes for school, no time for art lessons. I love your recent 3-D gryphon.

Bag Blog, Well, at this stage of my game watercolor is not fast. I like hands on and watching more than reading, too. I still think we are related.....

Jo Castillo said...

Joan, you have good advice there. Maybe that is why I'm trying watercolor for the moment and I will get back to pastels. The couch is cozy, print not so much. Heh, heh.


About Me

My photo
Bastrop, Texas, United States
I Grew up in a small town , Magdalena, New Mexico. I enjoy art and the pleasure other people get from my work. I always donate some of my sales and art to charities, especially for children. That started in Bolivia with Para los Niños. "I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colors. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns." -- Winston Churchill

Labels

#inktober (48) #inktober2019 (27) #inktober2023 (20) #inktober21 (11) abstract (1) Acrylic Paintings (75) Arizona (3) Art House Project (14) artist (88) artist blogger (356) artist blogger  instruction (3) artist blogger  instruction (20) artist blogger  instruction (17) artist blogger instruction (40) artist friend (7) at (1) Balloons (1) Baseball (206) Bastrop Sketchers (11) Bastrop TX (34) Bolivia (5) Calendar (1) Canada (3) Challenge (5) Charity Events (74) chile (4) classes (3) coaster sketch (9) colored pencil (58) computer art (5) DailyPaintworks Auction (3) demo video (4) Digital Painting (14) doodle (1) dphotos (1) exhibit (155) Figure (4) Fine Art Friends (3) Floweb browsing (1) Flowers (33) food (10) Footwork (1) fused glass (3) Gallery (3) gluten free (5) Golden Open paints (2) Golf (12) House Concert (1) iMac Sketch (1) Inktense (2) inst (1) instruction (75) iPad Sketch (90) iPad sketches (102) iph (1) iPhone painting (3) iPhone sketch (24) jo (1) Jo's Notion (9) Jo's Thoughts (298) Joanna (2) Joodles (2) Landscapes (137) Marines (29) marketing (3) meme (6) Music (68) New Mexico (130) Nonsense (2) Oil Painting (72) Oil Pastel (1) painting buddies (1) PanPastel works (3) Pastel (29) Pastel Demo (60) Pastel Paintings (408) pastel sketch (129) Pastels (12) pears (3) Peru (1) Photo (83) photography (1) Photos (972) Plein air painting (56) podcast (1) poll (1) pottery (2) Powwow (3) Recipe (6) restaurants (6) scenery (17) Sculptor (7) sculpture (4) seascape (2) sketch (4) Sketches (1792) snow (2) Still Life (36) Stu (1) Studio (26) Texas (70) Trees (36) tribute (5) under painting (1) Unsorted (7) videos (4) watercolor (178) watercolors (12) web browsing (262) web page (11) wetcanvas (1) WIP work in progress (15) workshop (8) World Blog Hop (2) Yesterfest (2) zentangle (2)