Website Jo Castillo Art




Back to my website:

Sunday, October 21, 2018

Skipped the Homework

As usual, I decided to skip my homework.  I did paint a fall scene with watercolor but will not post it anywhere. I did not use the practice of washes or glazes.   Painting with watercolor like oil or pastel does not work.  Gouache might work.  More watercolor photos and what I learn as I go with the lessons.

Instead of watercolor, I got out the coffee table sketchbook and worked from a photo for the Southwest October Challenge on wetcanvas.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1454985

The photos are put up to paint from for a month.  You know I don't usually paint from photos, but I enjoy this group on wetcanvas so I can take part with a sketch.  The photo is by Mary Woodul.  I sketched with a Prismacolor 03 fine line marker/pen and added some red with a Sharpie.  I used to do ink drawings with a touch of red someplace so this brings back memories.


I really need to get my studio straightened up so I can use my work table to do the watercolor.  Always better to paint standing up.  I do have a watercolor easel, I wonder if it still tips or did that one burn??  Hmm.  Guess I'd better look.  That shows you that I have watercolor stuff that I haven't thought about in years. I had some watercolor paint in tubes that dried up.   Just like the ink, I used to draw with India ink and a real fountain pen.  Haven't done it in years.  I don't even have an ink bottle.  Old memories.......





6 comments:

Bag Blog said...

Watercolor may dry up, but it is still good. If you tear open the tube, you can wet the paint. Of course, that is a hassle, and a good reason to buy more art stuff. A watercolor easel? Maybe I need one :)

hmuxo said...

Excellent sketch Jo!!! I love the splashes of red on the flowers. It completes the piece.

Jo Castillo said...

I have a Winsor-Newton easel, yes, I still have it. I paid about $40 for it and now it is $100+ Guess with the exchange rate adjustment it is about the same. Ha. This is the one I have, maybe cheaper elsewhere:
https://bit.ly/2ytzHdz

Jo Castillo said...

Hmuxo, thanks so much. I used to do that a lot when I did drawings in pen and ink. Rarely do a real drawing any more. Mostly sketch.

Jennifer Rose said...

great textured sketch :)

tsk tsk at not doing your homework ;)

Jo Castillo said...

Jennifer Rose, thank you so much. I've always been bad about homework and about practicing. Putting in the work really shows.


About Me

My photo
Bastrop, Texas, United States
I Grew up in a small town , Magdalena, New Mexico. I enjoy art and the pleasure other people get from my work. I always donate some of my sales and art to charities, especially for children. That started in Bolivia with Para los Niños. "I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colors. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns." -- Winston Churchill

Labels

#inktober (48) #inktober2019 (27) #inktober2023 (20) #inktober21 (11) abstract (1) Acrylic Paintings (75) Arizona (3) Art House Project (14) artist (88) artist blogger (356) artist blogger  instruction (3) artist blogger  instruction (20) artist blogger  instruction (17) artist blogger instruction (40) artist friend (7) at (1) Balloons (1) Baseball (206) Bastrop Sketchers (11) Bastrop TX (34) Bolivia (5) Calendar (1) Canada (3) Challenge (5) Charity Events (74) chile (4) classes (3) coaster sketch (9) colored pencil (58) computer art (5) DailyPaintworks Auction (3) demo video (4) Digital Painting (14) doodle (1) dphotos (1) exhibit (155) Figure (4) Fine Art Friends (3) Floweb browsing (1) Flowers (33) food (10) Footwork (1) fused glass (3) Gallery (3) gluten free (5) Golden Open paints (2) Golf (12) House Concert (1) iMac Sketch (1) Inktense (2) inst (1) instruction (75) iPad Sketch (90) iPad sketches (103) iph (1) iPhone painting (3) iPhone sketch (24) jo (1) Jo's Notion (9) Jo's Thoughts (298) Joanna (2) Joodles (2) Landscapes (137) Marines (29) marketing (3) meme (6) Music (68) New Mexico (130) Nonsense (2) Oil Painting (72) Oil Pastel (1) painting buddies (1) PanPastel works (3) Pastel (29) Pastel Demo (60) Pastel Paintings (408) pastel sketch (129) Pastels (12) pears (3) Peru (1) Photo (83) photography (1) Photos (975) Plein air painting (56) podcast (1) poll (1) pottery (2) Powwow (3) Recipe (6) restaurants (6) scenery (17) Sculptor (7) sculpture (4) seascape (2) sketch (4) Sketches (1798) snow (2) Still Life (36) Stu (1) Studio (26) Texas (70) Trees (36) tribute (5) under painting (1) Unsorted (7) videos (4) watercolor (178) watercolors (13) web browsing (262) web page (11) wetcanvas (1) WIP work in progress (15) workshop (8) World Blog Hop (2) Yesterfest (2) zentangle (2)