Website Jo Castillo Art




Back to my website:

Sunday, September 02, 2018

Seeing Red in a Sketch, Photos

Sketches for Scavenger Hunt 555
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1453129

These first two sketches are in the big book with a Prismacolor 03.  Colored pencil was added to the first one.

Number 11, Red
Number 12, steps

The ketchup we brought from home.  We hadn't opened it until yesterday.  I cook breakfast once in a while, rarely cook anything to eat with ketchup.  We use chile more than any other seasoning.  We had leftover steak and fried potatoes, so, ketchup.

The steps were a challenge for sure.  I don't think I have ever tried to sketch steps going down.  This angle is mixed.  The steps aren't too bad, but you wouldn't see the rail at that angle.  I should have used a pencil and ruler to get the angles, but you know me.


So I tried it again in my travel sketchbook showing the window at the landing.  There are 10 more steps downstairs and to the garage.  It doesn't really read "down" but maybe I will try it again sometime and pencil in the angles.



This is the wall hanging I sketched the other day.  It is pretty nifty, just hanging a bit high.

I hadn't seen a double yolk in an egg in ages and ages.  We eat Spam every once in a while for breakfast.  Usually I slice it on the short side.  I had done that for years.  A few years ago we were somewhere and the cook sliced the spam this way for a sandwich.  Perfect for a slice of bread.  I sliced it this way because we were joking with Roger.  He had sliced his the short way and was having 3 slices.  Gene told him that he was going to have only 2 slices and then I cut it the larger way.  So went our Sunday morning sending breakfast photos around.  We did have red chile with the eggs, potatoes and Spam.  (I turn over the eggs by the way, none of us eat sunny side up.)

Do you eat Spam?  They used to have a huge Spam-o-rama day in Austin and fix it up all sorts of ways.  Even ice cream.  Yikes!  There were contests of all kinds, tug of war, Spam toss, Spam talent and more. Some stories are pretty yucky .. just Google it if you want a mess of reading.  Ha. 

6 comments:

Jennifer Rose said...

thought that was square sausage for a second but square sausage is probably only a thing here. never seen it before moving here, so it might be.

not a fan of spam, find it too salty for me but im not that picky that if its whats left in the cupboard and we are broke I will not eat it :p

Jo Castillo said...

Jennifer Rose, I never liked Spam as a kid, but as I grew up we had Spam at the ranch with no freezers, etc., so we had Spam fried for breakfast. I like it now, especially with the red chile. :-)

hmuxo said...

I think of spam as the "old days"....lol. When we first got married, we had it for breakfast only because hubby liked it... I never tasted it before but it wasn't bad with eggs....now I don't buy it...a little too salty but you brought some memories to me. I never had red chile... I imagine it would be nice on eggs!!!! Your sketches are wonderful as always....have a nice week!!!!!

Jo Castillo said...

hmuxo, thanks. Spam is our old days, too. We have made the circle! Red chile is from dried red peppers from New Mexico. They used to use a grinding rock, now a blender, add water and garlic to make a sauce and cook. We add ground pork or beef. Very good. Come on over and try some.

Bag Blog said...

I love your stairs - great perspective and very difficult.

Our chickens are finally laying. We bought them around Easter and have been growing them all summer. One of them turned out to be a rooster, but we gave him to a friend - yay! Now and then we see a double yoke.

I don't do spam - just not something that my family did or that I have done since Toby and I married. I do love vi-eenie sausages!

Jo Castillo said...

Bag Blog, thanks. Stairs need an under drawing!
I understand on the Spam. Gene says to tell you he likes the vi-eenie sausages that have jalapeños in them with crackers! He eats the old fashioned plain ones, too.


About Me

My photo
Bastrop, Texas, United States
I Grew up in a small town , Magdalena, New Mexico. I enjoy art and the pleasure other people get from my work. I always donate some of my sales and art to charities, especially for children. That started in Bolivia with Para los Niños. "I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colors. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns." -- Winston Churchill

Labels

#inktober (48) #inktober2019 (27) #inktober2023 (20) #inktober21 (11) abstract (1) Acrylic Paintings (75) Arizona (3) Art House Project (14) artist (88) artist blogger (356) artist blogger  instruction (3) artist blogger  instruction (20) artist blogger  instruction (17) artist blogger instruction (40) artist friend (7) at (1) Balloons (1) Baseball (206) Bastrop Sketchers (11) Bastrop TX (34) Bolivia (5) Calendar (1) Canada (3) Challenge (5) Charity Events (74) chile (4) classes (3) coaster sketch (9) colored pencil (59) computer art (5) DailyPaintworks Auction (3) demo video (4) Digital Painting (14) doodle (1) dphotos (1) exhibit (156) Figure (4) Fine Art Friends (3) Floweb browsing (1) Flowers (33) food (10) Footwork (1) fused glass (3) Gallery (3) gluten free (5) Golden Open paints (2) Golf (12) House Concert (1) iMac Sketch (1) Inktense (2) inst (1) instruction (76) iPad Sketch (90) iPad sketches (103) iph (1) iPhone painting (3) iPhone sketch (26) jo (1) Jo's Notion (9) Jo's Thoughts (299) Joanna (2) Joodles (2) Landscapes (137) Marines (29) marketing (3) meme (6) Music (68) New Mexico (130) Nonsense (2) Oil Painting (72) Oil Pastel (1) painting buddies (1) PanPastel works (3) Pastel (29) Pastel Demo (60) Pastel Paintings (408) pastel sketch (132) Pastels (12) pears (3) Peru (1) Photo (83) photography (1) Photos (981) Plein air painting (56) podcast (1) poll (1) pottery (2) Powwow (3) Recipe (6) restaurants (6) scenery (17) Sculptor (7) sculpture (4) seascape (2) sketch (4) Sketches (1804) snow (2) Still Life (36) Stu (1) Studio (26) Texas (70) Trees (36) tribute (5) under painting (1) Unsorted (7) videos (4) watercolor (178) watercolors (13) web browsing (262) web page (11) wetcanvas (1) WIP work in progress (15) workshop (8) World Blog Hop (2) Yesterfest (2) zentangle (2)