Website Jo Castillo Art




Back to my website:

Friday, September 01, 2017

Painting Fury

I actually painted for a few hours yesterday ... watercolor and pastels.  Woohoo!

I added watercolor to the sketch from the day before.  Interesting to see the difference.  In general, I don't paint with watercolors but sometimes I like the effect of watercolor and ink.

See what you think.


Then here they are separately:





***  ***  ** *** *** ** *** *** 

After I tried out the watercolors, I got out the pastels.  I was hosting the wetcanvas Southwest Forum August challenge.  I put up a photo from the Conejos River that I took several years ago along with others.  

I wanted to sketch/paint one more of the photos and decided that the river photo was the "easiest" with pastels.  Especially because I had painted it once before.  Paintings from photos never seem as fresh to me.  You miss the nuances in the shadows and other colors.  I will let you compare those, too.

Here is the photo.  There are some beautiful spots along that river.  It runs along the highway between Antonito, Colorado, and Chama, New Mexico.  I was calling it the Chama River, sigh...

Here is the first painting I did from the photo.  It is pastels, 20 x 16 inches.


Here is the small quick pastel painting I did for the challenge.  It is about 9 x 7 inches.  I wiped off the Monte Verde painting from a few days ago and reused the paper.

And side by side, but not adjusted for size. 

The new challenge for September is up.  Come join us for some southwest painting or sketching.

http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1433502




6 comments:

Rose Welty said...

Very interesting to see the comparisons Jo. Did you deliberately try to make them different or was unintentional?

Jo Castillo said...

Hi, Rose! The main difference on the pastels is probably size and time. I took my time with the big painting and did the small one more as a sketch for wetcanvas. Both were from the same photo. For the sketch, I wasn't as "tied" to the photo either. I like the freshness of the small fast one, not as photographic.

Jennifer Rose said...

great reflections in the water on the pastels :)

hmm I think I prefer the watercolour. the colours help your linework to stand out actually :)

Jo Castillo said...

Jennifer Rose, thank you. You know I love color so I like that, too.

Bag Blog said...

I love it when you get out the pastels. I like the big one best.

Jo Castillo said...

Bag Blog, thank you. The big painting took a bit more time and there is room for more color variations and detail. Appreciate your thoughts.


About Me

My photo
Bastrop, Texas, United States
I Grew up in a small town , Magdalena, New Mexico. I enjoy art and the pleasure other people get from my work. I always donate some of my sales and art to charities, especially for children. That started in Bolivia with Para los Niños. "I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colors. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns." -- Winston Churchill

Labels

#inktober (48) #inktober2019 (27) #inktober2023 (20) #inktober21 (11) abstract (1) Acrylic Paintings (75) Arizona (3) Art House Project (14) artist (88) artist blogger (356) artist blogger  instruction (3) artist blogger  instruction (20) artist blogger  instruction (17) artist blogger instruction (40) artist friend (7) at (1) Balloons (1) Baseball (206) Bastrop Sketchers (11) Bastrop TX (34) Bolivia (5) Calendar (1) Canada (3) Challenge (5) Charity Events (74) chile (4) classes (3) coaster sketch (9) colored pencil (58) computer art (5) DailyPaintworks Auction (3) demo video (4) Digital Painting (14) doodle (1) dphotos (1) exhibit (155) Figure (4) Fine Art Friends (3) Floweb browsing (1) Flowers (33) food (10) Footwork (1) fused glass (3) Gallery (3) gluten free (5) Golden Open paints (2) Golf (12) House Concert (1) iMac Sketch (1) Inktense (2) inst (1) instruction (75) iPad Sketch (90) iPad sketches (102) iph (1) iPhone painting (3) iPhone sketch (24) jo (1) Jo's Notion (9) Jo's Thoughts (298) Joanna (2) Joodles (2) Landscapes (137) Marines (29) marketing (3) meme (6) Music (68) New Mexico (130) Nonsense (2) Oil Painting (72) Oil Pastel (1) painting buddies (1) PanPastel works (3) Pastel (29) Pastel Demo (60) Pastel Paintings (408) pastel sketch (129) Pastels (12) pears (3) Peru (1) Photo (83) photography (1) Photos (974) Plein air painting (56) podcast (1) poll (1) pottery (2) Powwow (3) Recipe (6) restaurants (6) scenery (17) Sculptor (7) sculpture (4) seascape (2) sketch (4) Sketches (1795) snow (2) Still Life (36) Stu (1) Studio (26) Texas (70) Trees (36) tribute (5) under painting (1) Unsorted (7) videos (4) watercolor (178) watercolors (12) web browsing (262) web page (11) wetcanvas (1) WIP work in progress (15) workshop (8) World Blog Hop (2) Yesterfest (2) zentangle (2)