Website Jo Castillo Art




Back to my website:

Saturday, September 02, 2017

510 Sketches

510 sounds like lots of sketches.  Actually it is many more, right?  This is Scavenger Hunt 510.  The Hunts started in 2006 and I would guess I have averaged 4-5 sketches each.  I have only missed a couple. 

My normal equipment for sketching is pen and ink.  I get bored when things take long or are repetitive like coloring with colored pencil, waiting for paint to dry, etc.  With pen and ink, I close my pen and go on my way.  With pastels for painting, no real clean up (like washing brushes) and they are fast as well.

The big sketchbook was getting buried under puzzle books, so decided to get it out yesterday.  I sketched with a Micron 08 and added a bit of colored pencil.  I know, I know, but I didn't spend much time on the sketches.  You can tell that the cup is out of whack.

Sketchbooks are supposed to be a place to practice and take notes.  Most artists never show what is in their sketchbooks or on paper scraps.  The Scavenger Hunts have pushed us to expose our weaknesses.  Good or bad??

"They" always say to show only your best work.  Hmmm.

For Scavenger Hunt 510
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1433510

Number 1, brown sugar - the sugar left from baking Gene's cake
Number 2, blue - the coffee cup I have carried around for years.  Jennie gave it to me and I like to use it away from home.

I am hosting the Hunt and used a list previously posted in 2008 by SandyRG from London.  It is song titles.  Artists have to put on their thinking caps.  Here is the list for those who don't follow the link to the Hunt.

Maybe you will be inspired to sketch a few.  It is fun to see the different ideas and interpretations.

From SandyRG:

I have put the musicians in as well but these aren’t meant to be part of the list (unless you want them to be).
    •    Reflections (the Supremes)
    •    People are Strange (Doors)
    •    Any one of the Four Seasons (Vivaldi)
    •    Parklife (Blur)
    •    Moonlight Sonata (Beethoven)
    •    Light My Fire (Doors)
    •    The Joker (Steve Miller)
    •    Up on the Roof Top (Xmas song)
    •    Longview (Green Day)
    •    Downtown (Petula Clark)
    •    Dilemna (Nelly and Kelly)
    •    Deck the Halls (Xmas song)
    •    Brown Sugar (Rolling Stones)
    •    Blue (Eiffel 65)
    •    Enter Sandman (Metallica)
    •    Play that Funky Music (??)
    •    Baby It’s Cold Outside (Louis Jordan)
    •    Water Music (Handel)
    •    What Is and What Should Never Be (Led Zeppelin)
    •    It’s Not Unusual (Tom Jones)
    •    Something (Beatles) (an easy/ ‘flexible’ one)
    •    Armitage Shanks (Green Day)
    •    Hello Dolly (Louis Armstrong)
    •    Polly Put the Kettle On (nursery rhyme)
    •    Here comes the sun (Beatles)
    •    Money (Pink Floyd)

Challenge 1 – Draw one item in 60 seconds
Challenge 2 – Draw one in abstract/ modernist style
Challenge 3 – Try to draw/ paint in someone else’s style
You can see I chose two of the most obvious to sketch.  Looks like fun.  See ya around!

6 comments:

Jennifer Rose said...

I really like seeing people's sketches and sketchbooks, its interesting seeing how other artist work :)

I would scan more of my sketchbooks to show people, but they are often to big and heavy for the scanner, I guess i could just rip the pages out to scan but then I have a lot of loose pages lying around

Jo Castillo said...

Jennifer Rose, I like seeing other work, too. My coffee table book is too big to scan. I have been using my iPad for photos as I forgot my camera at home. The photos are not the best, but I do have a record. I have given a couple of my sketchbooks away. The receivers seemed to like that. :)

Jennifer Rose said...

I usually just end up throwing mine out lol

Jo Castillo said...

Jennifer Rose, interesting that you toss the sketchbooks. I look back at old ones and see that I have not changed much. My style hangs on. I am probably faster and can be more accurate if I take time, but I'm not one to do that. Heh, heh.

Jennifer Rose said...

I just dont have the space to keep them all. I rip out any sketches I think I will do something with but I just dont have the space to keep something I cant use

Jo Castillo said...

Jennifer Rose, space is a big consideration. After the big fire, we said we wouldn't collect anything anymore, well we are both packrats, so have a house full again.... including sketchbooks. Ha.


About Me

My photo
Bastrop, Texas, United States
I Grew up in a small town , Magdalena, New Mexico. I enjoy art and the pleasure other people get from my work. I always donate some of my sales and art to charities, especially for children. That started in Bolivia with Para los Niños. "I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colors. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns." -- Winston Churchill

Labels

#inktober (48) #inktober2019 (27) #inktober2023 (20) #inktober21 (11) abstract (1) Acrylic Paintings (75) Arizona (3) Art House Project (14) artist (88) artist blogger (356) artist blogger  instruction (3) artist blogger  instruction (20) artist blogger  instruction (17) artist blogger instruction (40) artist friend (7) at (1) Balloons (1) Baseball (206) Bastrop Sketchers (11) Bastrop TX (34) Bolivia (5) Calendar (1) Canada (3) Challenge (5) Charity Events (74) chile (4) classes (3) coaster sketch (9) colored pencil (58) computer art (5) DailyPaintworks Auction (3) demo video (4) Digital Painting (14) doodle (1) dphotos (1) exhibit (155) Figure (4) Fine Art Friends (3) Floweb browsing (1) Flowers (33) food (10) Footwork (1) fused glass (3) Gallery (3) gluten free (5) Golden Open paints (2) Golf (12) House Concert (1) iMac Sketch (1) Inktense (2) inst (1) instruction (75) iPad Sketch (90) iPad sketches (102) iph (1) iPhone painting (3) iPhone sketch (24) jo (1) Jo's Notion (9) Jo's Thoughts (298) Joanna (2) Joodles (2) Landscapes (137) Marines (29) marketing (3) meme (6) Music (68) New Mexico (130) Nonsense (2) Oil Painting (72) Oil Pastel (1) painting buddies (1) PanPastel works (3) Pastel (29) Pastel Demo (60) Pastel Paintings (408) pastel sketch (129) Pastels (12) pears (3) Peru (1) Photo (83) photography (1) Photos (975) Plein air painting (56) podcast (1) poll (1) pottery (2) Powwow (3) Recipe (6) restaurants (6) scenery (17) Sculptor (7) sculpture (4) seascape (2) sketch (4) Sketches (1797) snow (2) Still Life (36) Stu (1) Studio (26) Texas (70) Trees (36) tribute (5) under painting (1) Unsorted (7) videos (4) watercolor (178) watercolors (13) web browsing (262) web page (11) wetcanvas (1) WIP work in progress (15) workshop (8) World Blog Hop (2) Yesterfest (2) zentangle (2)