Website Jo Castillo Art




Back to my website:

Tuesday, September 09, 2014

Sketch for Hunt 374 and Photos

The Scavenger Hunts seem to be over before I get a good start, I was still thinking about the last Hunt and this one started September 6.  I guess it is true that time passes faster as we get older.  Our summer has sure flown by.  We only have a few more days in Angel Fire and then will be on the road again.  Internet and phone service will be very scarce at times.  I will keep in touch when I can.

I sketched across the road at the rocks again for Scavenger Hunt 374. http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1359976  Actually I was just going to try and sketch some of the rocks and the sketch happens to fit in the Hunt.  I was working on plein air watercolor techniques.  I was using a small watercolor set with a water filled brush.  The set worked well for my intentions.  I sketched first with a Micron pen in a watercolor sketchbook.  After the watercolor was added, I went back in with more ink.  It is half a page in the sketchbook, about 5 x 8 inches.

I have a lot to learn about mixing colors for shadows and nature.  Actually I have a lot to learn about watercolor.  Maybe I will take one of Mike Henderson's classes at the Bastrop Fine Arts Gallery.  http://bastropfineartsguild.com/news-and-events/classes-and-workshops/

 Number 1, nature/organic thing - tree trunk and rocks


This was where I was going to paint.  I sat in a chair under the big tree on the left.

Art Link:

Free advice from Jason Horejs and Barney Davey about promotion and marketing. I think they post a video monthly, it is free.  If you can't watch this one tonight you can get on the mailing list and check YouTube.
https://plus.google.com/events/cn3qrjfei60ov3g0sgp0finntcg


A few more photos from the last couple of days:

 Clouds came up yesterday afternoon when I was sketching.  So pretty.


 Gene was off on his Terratrike and I thought I might have to rescue him from the looks of the sky.  He had gone that way.  But no, he was back at the house.  He said he had a good ride, about 12 miles.




We have seen a few of these squirrels.  We see more of the ground squirrels that I posted before.  These are so interesting looking.  They appear to be Albert's Squirrels, typical of the Rocky Mountains.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abert's_squirrel


6 comments:

Joan Tavolott said...

Great photos. Nice watercolor sketch of the rocks and I love the rock pastel in the post below. It took me a while to see the face. lol It is strange when we see the shape of something in a painting and then that is all that we notice.

Have a safe trip. We will be traveling to Italy soon...cruising to Greece & Turkey and then staying in Italy a while. Don't know if I will be able to post on my blog or not. Travel safe!

Jo Castillo said...

Joan, thank you. A niece told me that the Ladrone mountains that I have mentioned and taken photos of for years look like a gorilla lying down. Never noticed, now I see a gorilla every time. Sigh....

You have fun, too. I will be looking forward to traveling with you in sketches and photos.

Bag Blog said...

Your little rock sketch and watercolor has the makings of good journal art. I've always wanted to do that sort of thang. Today I saw a sight on pinterest that had a journal type challenge similar to your sketch challenge. I went all over the website looking into such a challenge. Then I got to the part where I was to pay $124. It might be worth it, but I would rather not spend my money unless I know I would stick to it.

I think I would like to go to Italy and Greece with Joan. Now that might be incentive to journaling :)

Jennifer Rose said...

not a lot of squirrels around here sadly. the native red squirrels which are so neat looking are sadly really effected by all of the grey squirrels in scotland by either transmitting a virus or just eating/breeding more then the reds :/ oops off topic ;) more lovely photos :)

Jo Castillo said...

Bag Blog just get you a sketchbook with good paper and you don't have to have it be consecutive sketches. Look at this blog, Scatty sketches from memory times on the farm and when she was little, along with current things. She writes right on her sketches. So much fun. She sketches in the Hunts.
http://gardenartjournal.blogspot.com/
Kat Farmer/van Hookens

I would like to go with Joan, too. Maybe we could get something together for next August here or Colorado with Joan, Sue, Regina, etc.

Jo Castillo said...

Thanks, Jennifer Rose. I always like conversation on my blog. It is sad about the squirrels. They can be pests when fed, but are fun to watch.

We take many photos, some should turn out good. :)

Thanks again.


About Me

My photo
Bastrop, Texas, United States
I Grew up in a small town , Magdalena, New Mexico. I enjoy art and the pleasure other people get from my work. I always donate some of my sales and art to charities, especially for children. That started in Bolivia with Para los Niños. "I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colors. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns." -- Winston Churchill

Labels

#inktober (48) #inktober2019 (27) #inktober2023 (20) #inktober21 (11) abstract (1) Acrylic Paintings (75) Arizona (3) Art House Project (14) artist (88) artist blogger (356) artist blogger  instruction (3) artist blogger  instruction (20) artist blogger  instruction (17) artist blogger instruction (40) artist friend (7) at (1) Balloons (1) Baseball (206) Bastrop Sketchers (11) Bastrop TX (34) Bolivia (5) Calendar (1) Canada (3) Challenge (5) Charity Events (74) chile (4) classes (3) coaster sketch (9) colored pencil (58) computer art (5) DailyPaintworks Auction (3) demo video (4) Digital Painting (14) doodle (1) dphotos (1) exhibit (155) Figure (4) Fine Art Friends (3) Floweb browsing (1) Flowers (33) food (10) Footwork (1) fused glass (3) Gallery (3) gluten free (5) Golden Open paints (2) Golf (12) House Concert (1) iMac Sketch (1) Inktense (2) inst (1) instruction (75) iPad Sketch (90) iPad sketches (102) iph (1) iPhone painting (3) iPhone sketch (24) jo (1) Jo's Notion (9) Jo's Thoughts (298) Joanna (2) Joodles (2) Landscapes (137) Marines (29) marketing (3) meme (6) Music (68) New Mexico (130) Nonsense (2) Oil Painting (72) Oil Pastel (1) painting buddies (1) PanPastel works (3) Pastel (29) Pastel Demo (60) Pastel Paintings (408) pastel sketch (129) Pastels (12) pears (3) Peru (1) Photo (83) photography (1) Photos (975) Plein air painting (56) podcast (1) poll (1) pottery (2) Powwow (3) Recipe (6) restaurants (6) scenery (17) Sculptor (7) sculpture (4) seascape (2) sketch (4) Sketches (1797) snow (2) Still Life (36) Stu (1) Studio (26) Texas (70) Trees (36) tribute (5) under painting (1) Unsorted (7) videos (4) watercolor (178) watercolors (13) web browsing (262) web page (11) wetcanvas (1) WIP work in progress (15) workshop (8) World Blog Hop (2) Yesterfest (2) zentangle (2)