Website Jo Castillo Art




Back to my website:

Monday, September 08, 2014

Pastel Rock Painting Fixed

When Bag Blog, Lou Baggett,  http://bagwag.blogspot.com/ was here we painted a few times out and about.  That is always so encouraging and gets my blood flowing.  Evidently I am a people person.  I often say that I don't know whether I like painting or talking more.  We had a great time.

I thought my painting of the rocks was finished and I posted it here, so happy that I had actually finished a painting.  Well ....... I looked at it on the floor here in Angel Fire and all of a sudden I could see a face.  It reminded me of a monolito from Bolivia.  That doesn't work in a painting and sometimes  happens when painting rocks and clouds.  I tend to start painting the actual rocks and then revert to rocks in my memory.  Not a good idea!   One of the rocks that was a part of this scene does look like a llama or camel head and I avoided that one on purpose.

When I paint, the problem with "faces" or "animals" in clouds or other mistakes like where two edges kiss/touch, is that after you see it, that is all you see.  If you have seen a painting that disturbs you or that you just can't figure out, this may be the problem.

So, here is the face/rock painting, do you see the face?



Just in case you can't see it....



And the change because the face really bothered me:

Hanging On
Pastel Plein Air, 9 x 12 inches, Pastelbord


We walked by there to look at the rocks again so I think this still qualifies as plein air.  I did revise it while painting on the porch.   My painted rocks are not exact, but I think that they now are more representative of the scene.  I be happy, as son, Larry, used to say.

Art link:

Reading blogs today, I came across the one below.  I have a thing about mistakes in writing and especially in e-mails that I receive.  Take your time when you write.  I try to proof read my work, though not always successful I know.

I am linking to Carolyn Henderson's post today, it made me smile and ponder.

Serously, This Haz Gawt to Stopp

by Carolyn Henderson

Considering that we are communicating with the reader for some reason -- we want something, we are introducing ourselves, we’re selling something, we’re providing information -- we don’t want anything getting in the way that doesn’t have to be there. And misgivings about our intelligence, organization, competence, or vocabulary acumen -- brought about by something as simple as a typo -- are an unfortunate, yet avoidable, issue. [...]

Read the rest of this article at:
http://faso.com/fineartviews/80160/serously-this-haz-gawt-to-stopp

----------------------------------------------
This excerpt appears courtesy of FineArtViews Art Marketing Newsletter by FASO,
a free email newsletter about art, marketing, inspiration and fine living for artists,
collectors and galleries (and anyone else who loves art).



For a complimentary subscription, visit: http://www.faso.com/art-marketing-newsletter

4 comments:

Bag Blog said...

I didn't see the face until you pointed it out, but your revision is excellente! Now I'm going to go read the link.

Speaking of spelling mistakes: At the baby shower Jesse put out these little cards with the beginning of a sentence, like "I hope you learn... or I hope you always...." People were suppose to fill in the blanks - sort of wishes for the new baby. After the "I hope you learn..." one of the younger girls wrote "French." So it read " I hope you learn 'French', but she misspelled 'French' and crossed it out. Then she wrote, "I hope you learn 'to spell.'

Rae Andrews, Contemporary Texas Artist in all media said...

I like this new pastel. Jo.. The design is great! It's a funny thing about ROCKS, we artists love drawing them.. I know I have had ROCKS in my head for years! Ha!

Jo Castillo said...

Bag Blog, thank you!

Cute story about the shower. I don't think spelling is taught much now. I guess people don't need it with spellcheck. It is the same with penmanship. Sigh....

Jo Castillo said...

Rae, thank you so much. I agree about the rocks! Well, not in your head! They are fascinating to paint, see and climb on.


About Me

My photo
Bastrop, Texas, United States
I Grew up in a small town , Magdalena, New Mexico. I enjoy art and the pleasure other people get from my work. I always donate some of my sales and art to charities, especially for children. That started in Bolivia with Para los Niños. "I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colors. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns." -- Winston Churchill

Labels

#inktober (48) #inktober2019 (27) #inktober2023 (20) #inktober21 (11) abstract (1) Acrylic Paintings (75) Arizona (3) Art House Project (14) artist (88) artist blogger (356) artist blogger  instruction (3) artist blogger  instruction (20) artist blogger  instruction (17) artist blogger instruction (40) artist friend (7) at (1) Balloons (1) Baseball (206) Bastrop Sketchers (11) Bastrop TX (34) Bolivia (5) Calendar (1) Canada (3) Challenge (5) Charity Events (74) chile (4) classes (3) coaster sketch (9) colored pencil (58) computer art (5) DailyPaintworks Auction (3) demo video (4) Digital Painting (14) doodle (1) dphotos (1) exhibit (155) Figure (4) Fine Art Friends (3) Floweb browsing (1) Flowers (33) food (10) Footwork (1) fused glass (3) Gallery (3) gluten free (5) Golden Open paints (2) Golf (12) House Concert (1) iMac Sketch (1) Inktense (2) inst (1) instruction (76) iPad Sketch (90) iPad sketches (103) iph (1) iPhone painting (3) iPhone sketch (25) jo (1) Jo's Notion (9) Jo's Thoughts (298) Joanna (2) Joodles (2) Landscapes (137) Marines (29) marketing (3) meme (6) Music (68) New Mexico (130) Nonsense (2) Oil Painting (72) Oil Pastel (1) painting buddies (1) PanPastel works (3) Pastel (29) Pastel Demo (60) Pastel Paintings (408) pastel sketch (130) Pastels (12) pears (3) Peru (1) Photo (83) photography (1) Photos (976) Plein air painting (56) podcast (1) poll (1) pottery (2) Powwow (3) Recipe (6) restaurants (6) scenery (17) Sculptor (7) sculpture (4) seascape (2) sketch (4) Sketches (1799) snow (2) Still Life (36) Stu (1) Studio (26) Texas (70) Trees (36) tribute (5) under painting (1) Unsorted (7) videos (4) watercolor (178) watercolors (13) web browsing (262) web page (11) wetcanvas (1) WIP work in progress (15) workshop (8) World Blog Hop (2) Yesterfest (2) zentangle (2)