Website Jo Castillo Art




Back to my website:

Sunday, March 23, 2014

Sketching and Pretend Green Chile

Scavenger Hunt 352 http://goo.gl/9NpsAK ended yesterday and here I am posting today.  Story of my life lately, a day late and a dollar short as my mom used to say.

I sketched the last two for that Hunt on my iPad with the Brushes App and my trusty fingers.

Number 4, laundry basket - something I actually have two of.  They look the same, one is larger.

Number 5, box of matches or lighter - I was surprised that I had boxed matches, too.  Hmm.

We had great weather for baseball on Friday and Saturday.  T-shirt time!  Yay!  Now today we have a very cold wind and temperature of 57 degrees or so. Back to sweatshirts and flannel.   I know in some parts, like Albuquerque, you could be comfy in a t-shirt, but here it is damp and gloomy.  Brrrrrr.  Luckily the folks at UT heeded the reports and moved todays game to play a double header yesterday between the Longhorns and the Columbia Lions.   Excellent!  UT won all three games by the way.

The basketball team did not fare so well, hope that didn't mess up your brackets for March Madness!  My bracket went downhill when the New Mexico Lobos lost to Stanford.  Guess you folks with Kansas aren't so happy with Stanford either!  Not too important to us, we don't really follow any sports except the UT Baseball team.  It was fun to set up brackets for basketball with the family.

A couple of days ago I was hungry for fresh green chile.  Spring is not the season as you might realize.  Chile ripens in New Mexico in September.  I saw some "hot" peppers (not hot) at HEB, our grocery store here.  They looked like New Mexico chile.  Gene roasted it on the grill this morning.  It looked good, smelled good and has a bit of a bite to it.  But, no New Mexico green chile taste. Taste doesn't necessarily mean hot either.  Even mild New Mexico chile has a lovely flavor.   Peppers grown with the same seeds do not taste the same.  It must be the water and soil.  Even in New Mexico the chile around Hatch is sweeter than the chile grown north around Chimayo.  So unless you have eaten NM chile, you probably won't appreciate that we had "pretend" green chile for brunch.  In South America I would buy the local hot peppers and roast them with bell peppers.  I could sort of get the smell, but never the taste!  I do have a few bags of real green chile in the freezer to hold us over until the summer.  I just saw the fresh ones and had to try them.  They must be from Mexico to be fresh at this time of year.


The pretend chile roasted, looks good.


The pretend chile peeled and ready to chop and add garlic and salt.   You can't smell them you say.  Well, after they were peeled you wouldn't be able to smell a nice aroma anyway.  You can't go by looks alone.

4 comments:

Joanna said...

Sorry the chile didn't work out for you all that well.

As for the baseball game, you should point out that UT didn't change it due to "cold" but due to the fact that strong thunderstorms were expected. The storms did not materialize so they could have played today. I'm glad they changed the schedule, though. The weather was much better for it on Saturday. :-)

Jo Castillo said...

Joanna, the chile is OK if you don't have the real stuff. Ha. Yes, thunderstorms were expected. We hoped to get some to that expected rain. Oh, well.

Bag Blog said...

I always loved to smell green chiles roasting. When we lived in NM, we would have the vendor roast our chile for us. Now and then someone is in NM in Sept and brings us a bag of chiles and we roast them on the grill outside and I freeze them.

Jo Castillo said...

Hi, Bag Blog. Nothing like that aroma, eh? We have some in the freezer, I just had to try these peppers when I saw them. :)


About Me

My photo
Bastrop, Texas, United States
I Grew up in a small town , Magdalena, New Mexico. I enjoy art and the pleasure other people get from my work. I always donate some of my sales and art to charities, especially for children. That started in Bolivia with Para los Niños. "I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colors. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns." -- Winston Churchill

Labels

#inktober (48) #inktober2019 (27) #inktober2023 (20) #inktober21 (11) abstract (1) Acrylic Paintings (75) Arizona (3) Art House Project (14) artist (88) artist blogger (356) artist blogger  instruction (3) artist blogger  instruction (20) artist blogger  instruction (17) artist blogger instruction (40) artist friend (7) at (1) Balloons (1) Baseball (206) Bastrop Sketchers (11) Bastrop TX (34) Bolivia (5) Calendar (1) Canada (3) Challenge (5) Charity Events (74) chile (4) classes (3) coaster sketch (9) colored pencil (58) computer art (5) DailyPaintworks Auction (3) demo video (4) Digital Painting (14) doodle (1) dphotos (1) exhibit (155) Figure (4) Fine Art Friends (3) Floweb browsing (1) Flowers (33) food (10) Footwork (1) fused glass (3) Gallery (3) gluten free (5) Golden Open paints (2) Golf (12) House Concert (1) iMac Sketch (1) Inktense (2) inst (1) instruction (76) iPad Sketch (90) iPad sketches (103) iph (1) iPhone painting (3) iPhone sketch (26) jo (1) Jo's Notion (9) Jo's Thoughts (299) Joanna (2) Joodles (2) Landscapes (137) Marines (29) marketing (3) meme (6) Music (68) New Mexico (130) Nonsense (2) Oil Painting (72) Oil Pastel (1) painting buddies (1) PanPastel works (3) Pastel (29) Pastel Demo (60) Pastel Paintings (408) pastel sketch (130) Pastels (12) pears (3) Peru (1) Photo (83) photography (1) Photos (977) Plein air painting (56) podcast (1) poll (1) pottery (2) Powwow (3) Recipe (6) restaurants (6) scenery (17) Sculptor (7) sculpture (4) seascape (2) sketch (4) Sketches (1799) snow (2) Still Life (36) Stu (1) Studio (26) Texas (70) Trees (36) tribute (5) under painting (1) Unsorted (7) videos (4) watercolor (178) watercolors (13) web browsing (262) web page (11) wetcanvas (1) WIP work in progress (15) workshop (8) World Blog Hop (2) Yesterfest (2) zentangle (2)