Website Jo Castillo Art




Back to my website:

Monday, March 03, 2014

Changing Seasons, First Friday Art Walk, March 7

This Friday will be the First Friday Art Walk in historic downtown Bastrop.  In addition the Bastrop Art Gallery  http://bastropfineartsguild.com (formerly Bastrop Fine Arts Guild Gallery in my posts) will have the monthly featured artist reception.  Featured is the pastel show, Changing Seasons.  The featured artists are Enid Wood  http://www.enidwood.com/, Wanda Gamble, Glenn Whitehead and myself for the month of March.  You can see work by Wanda and Glenn on the Art Gallery page under "Artists")

You are invited to the reception:

First Friday Art Walk
March 7, 2014  5:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.
Changing Seasons, Pastelists
Bastrop Fine Arts Guild Gallery, 815 Main Street, historic downtown Bastrop

Click on images to see larger.


 Siesta Time
24 x 18 inches
Pastel on Pastelbord
Framed against the UV protected glass

    It is framed in a heavy wooden frame, not a great photo but you get the idea.




Daybreak Pines
12 x 18 inches
Pastel on U-Art Sanded Paper
Framed against non-glare plexiglass in a black metal frame
An idea of Daybreak Pines on the wall.

Gene frames my pastels right against the glazing (glass or plexiglass).  This type of framing has several advantages. 
  • One is the painting and glass are inserted in the frame in one piece.  The frame can be changed easily if wanted.
  • The painting stays put and clean.  When framed with a mat, the pastel dust can fall on the mat and glazing.  The glazing will have bits of pastel and distort the view.
  • The painting will be more sturdy for moving.  In shipping it won't matter if it is not "face up".
  • Small paintings can just be put on an easel for display.

Hope to see you at the reception.  If you can't make the reception and  would like to meet me at the gallery sometime during March to see and discuss the paintings, just give me a call at 512-629-9264 or e-mail jo@jocastilloart.com 















6 comments:

Bag Blog said...

I really like the idea of framing up against the glass. Unfortunately, I need to remember to make my paintings the size of standard frames. I'm so use to matting, which I can do. I recently did some framing. One painting I did up against the glass and two I matted. I'd really like to make my own frames - maybe that will be next on the list.

Jo Castillo said...

Bag Blog, framing against the glass is great. The Daybreak Pines I painted when we were in Arkansas is 12 x 18 so Gene used one of the metal frames. I ordered it from americanframe.com so get the plexiglass and backboard cut and mailed with it. Works so well. I also have a couple of prints there for sale. I ordered one of the rooster for a gift. Came out very nice. They put that one together. They package nicely, too.

Regina Calton Burchett said...

These look so good, Jo! Should be an excellent show!!

Jo Castillo said...

Regina, thank you. It at least will be warmer!

Joanna said...

I hope the show goes well!

Jo Castillo said...

Joanna, thanks. Always nervous before a show and then ... all is fine. :)


About Me

My photo
Bastrop, Texas, United States
I Grew up in a small town , Magdalena, New Mexico. I enjoy art and the pleasure other people get from my work. I always donate some of my sales and art to charities, especially for children. That started in Bolivia with Para los Niños. "I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colors. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns." -- Winston Churchill

Labels

#inktober (48) #inktober2019 (27) #inktober2023 (20) #inktober21 (11) abstract (1) Acrylic Paintings (75) Arizona (3) Art House Project (14) artist (88) artist blogger (356) artist blogger  instruction (3) artist blogger  instruction (20) artist blogger  instruction (17) artist blogger instruction (40) artist friend (7) at (1) Balloons (1) Baseball (206) Bastrop Sketchers (11) Bastrop TX (34) Bolivia (5) Calendar (1) Canada (3) Challenge (5) Charity Events (74) chile (4) classes (3) coaster sketch (9) colored pencil (58) computer art (5) DailyPaintworks Auction (3) demo video (4) Digital Painting (14) doodle (1) dphotos (1) exhibit (155) Figure (4) Fine Art Friends (3) Floweb browsing (1) Flowers (33) food (10) Footwork (1) fused glass (3) Gallery (3) gluten free (5) Golden Open paints (2) Golf (12) House Concert (1) iMac Sketch (1) Inktense (2) inst (1) instruction (75) iPad Sketch (90) iPad sketches (102) iph (1) iPhone painting (3) iPhone sketch (24) jo (1) Jo's Notion (9) Jo's Thoughts (298) Joanna (2) Joodles (2) Landscapes (137) Marines (29) marketing (3) meme (6) Music (68) New Mexico (130) Nonsense (2) Oil Painting (72) Oil Pastel (1) painting buddies (1) PanPastel works (3) Pastel (29) Pastel Demo (60) Pastel Paintings (408) pastel sketch (129) Pastels (12) pears (3) Peru (1) Photo (83) photography (1) Photos (972) Plein air painting (56) podcast (1) poll (1) pottery (2) Powwow (3) Recipe (6) restaurants (6) scenery (17) Sculptor (7) sculpture (4) seascape (2) sketch (4) Sketches (1792) snow (2) Still Life (36) Stu (1) Studio (26) Texas (70) Trees (36) tribute (5) under painting (1) Unsorted (7) videos (4) watercolor (178) watercolors (12) web browsing (262) web page (11) wetcanvas (1) WIP work in progress (15) workshop (8) World Blog Hop (2) Yesterfest (2) zentangle (2)