Website Jo Castillo Art




Back to my website:

Tuesday, February 04, 2014

Mishmash Sketch to Pastel Painting

You may recall that I started a painting in a class with Enid Wood (enidwood.com) a few weeks ago and I posted it here as a pastel sketch:
http://www.jocastilloartblog.blogspot.com/2014/01/pastel-sketch.html

It wasn't really a sketch, it was the beginning of the painting.  I worked from a still life setup in the class.  I started with a map of sorts.  I mark on my paper or board where the edges of the items in the set up will be, the top, sides and bottom.  Then I lightly sketch in the basic shapes to adjust for size, shape and placement of the items, vegetables in this case.  The items belonged to another artist, so I had to get the start down quickly and then use photos to finish it at home.


I was pleased with my sketch, especially the ellipse of the plate.  Circles are always difficult to position at a correct angle.


I continued filling in my work adding color and shadows.  Correcting shapes and cooling off the background.

Mishmash
14 x 11 inches
Pastel on Pastelbord

For the finish,  I went back to the original idea and darkened the background.  The background is a bit darker in real life and the onions more purple.   By making the background darker, the veggies become the star players.

Do you remember "The A-Team"?  I just love it when a plan comes together.

Which reminds me ......

When we lived in Peru, we had a very dark blue conversion van.  It looked almost black.  The markets were open air.  I would drive there in the van.  There were always kids that would "watch" your car while you did your shopping, for a tip of course.  When I would drive up in the van, they would get soooo excited.  They would say, "Mira, mira!  El auto de Los Magnificos!" which translates to "Look, look!  The A-Team's car!"  I would have to assign the oldest or biggest to be sure and keep them from climbing on the ladder to the top of the van.  When I would come back with my groceries, they would have to see inside to see the chairs, table, etc.  They were impressed!



4 comments:

Bag Blog said...

I like the mishmash. Ovals are difficult, but did good.

Spanish verbs will be the death of me. That is the first time I have seen "mira, mira" written out, since we have been listening to Spanish cds. I was just telling Toby that I had trouble with "mira, ver, and buscar" - they confuse me. Sometimes I luck-out and say the right verb; sometimes not.

Jo Castillo said...

Bag Blog, I still have problems after all these years. I still don't think in Spanish so have to translate as I go. Does not make for good grammar. No ve??

Joanna said...

Good idea to darken the background. I like the finished painting.

Jo Castillo said...

Thank you, Joanna. I like it too. :)


About Me

My photo
Bastrop, Texas, United States
I Grew up in a small town , Magdalena, New Mexico. I enjoy art and the pleasure other people get from my work. I always donate some of my sales and art to charities, especially for children. That started in Bolivia with Para los NiƱos. "I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colors. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns." -- Winston Churchill

Labels

#inktober (48) #inktober2019 (27) #inktober2023 (20) #inktober21 (11) abstract (1) Acrylic Paintings (75) Arizona (3) Art House Project (14) artist (88) artist blogger (356) artist blogger  instruction (3) artist blogger  instruction (20) artist blogger  instruction (17) artist blogger instruction (40) artist friend (7) at (1) Balloons (1) Baseball (206) Bastrop Sketchers (11) Bastrop TX (34) Bolivia (5) Calendar (1) Canada (3) Challenge (5) Charity Events (74) chile (4) classes (3) coaster sketch (9) colored pencil (58) computer art (5) DailyPaintworks Auction (3) demo video (4) Digital Painting (14) doodle (1) dphotos (1) exhibit (155) Figure (4) Fine Art Friends (3) Floweb browsing (1) Flowers (33) food (10) Footwork (1) fused glass (3) Gallery (3) gluten free (5) Golden Open paints (2) Golf (12) House Concert (1) iMac Sketch (1) Inktense (2) inst (1) instruction (76) iPad Sketch (90) iPad sketches (103) iph (1) iPhone painting (3) iPhone sketch (25) jo (1) Jo's Notion (9) Jo's Thoughts (298) Joanna (2) Joodles (2) Landscapes (137) Marines (29) marketing (3) meme (6) Music (68) New Mexico (130) Nonsense (2) Oil Painting (72) Oil Pastel (1) painting buddies (1) PanPastel works (3) Pastel (29) Pastel Demo (60) Pastel Paintings (408) pastel sketch (130) Pastels (12) pears (3) Peru (1) Photo (83) photography (1) Photos (976) Plein air painting (56) podcast (1) poll (1) pottery (2) Powwow (3) Recipe (6) restaurants (6) scenery (17) Sculptor (7) sculpture (4) seascape (2) sketch (4) Sketches (1799) snow (2) Still Life (36) Stu (1) Studio (26) Texas (70) Trees (36) tribute (5) under painting (1) Unsorted (7) videos (4) watercolor (178) watercolors (13) web browsing (262) web page (11) wetcanvas (1) WIP work in progress (15) workshop (8) World Blog Hop (2) Yesterfest (2) zentangle (2)