Website Jo Castillo Art




Back to my website:

Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Beaming, Acrylic Cactus Blooms Painting

Here is a new painting of some prickly pear cactus blooms.  I was inspired after I posted about cactus flowers the other day.  These are from a couple of photos I had and I just liked the colors.  Purple is such a good color for landscape paintings and is perfect as a complement to the greens.

Beaming
Acrylic on Cradled Artist Panel
8 x 8 inches, 1.5 inch sides
(click on photos to see them larger)

You can get an idea of the size and the edges in this photo.  No frame needed.

It will be at the gallery for you to see and purchase in person.  If you live far away you can contact Deborah Johnson and she will be happy to help you.


Art Connections Gallery
908 Main Street, Bastrop Texas
512 657-4275



Cactus flowers or blooms are always a favorite thing for me to paint.  They are so fleeting and beautiful to see.  My favorite of all are the cholla blooms like the one I showed the other day.

Pink Cholla Blooms
6 x 6 inches
Sold

They grow around my home town in New Mexico and maybe that is why.  They are so delicate on such a "mean" cactus tree.  My mom often called them "tree cactus" as they grow quite tall at times.  I have photos of some about 8 feet or more near Kelly, south of Magdalena.

Cholla Bloom
14 x 11 inches
Framed in dark gallery frame

This photo was taken in Magdalena and the plant is about 6 feet tall.

I painted another small yucca painting.  I need to paint the edges and get a photo.  I finished the veggie painting, too, but it is pastel and needs direct sun for the photo and we are under cold clouds today.  You will just have to wait!


4 comments:

Bag Blog said...

I love the yellow cactus blooms. You inspire me!

Jo Castillo said...

Bag Blog, thanks. It helps me to paint what I like, I seem to be more inspired myself.

Joanna said...

Love the new painting. So pretty.

Jo Castillo said...

Joanna, thank you very much. Happy that you stopped by.


About Me

My photo
Bastrop, Texas, United States
I Grew up in a small town , Magdalena, New Mexico. I enjoy art and the pleasure other people get from my work. I always donate some of my sales and art to charities, especially for children. That started in Bolivia with Para los Niños. "I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colors. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns." -- Winston Churchill

Labels

#inktober (48) #inktober2019 (27) #inktober2023 (20) #inktober21 (11) abstract (1) Acrylic Paintings (75) Arizona (3) Art House Project (14) artist (88) artist blogger (356) artist blogger  instruction (3) artist blogger  instruction (20) artist blogger  instruction (17) artist blogger instruction (40) artist friend (7) at (1) Balloons (1) Baseball (206) Bastrop Sketchers (11) Bastrop TX (34) Bolivia (5) Calendar (1) Canada (3) Challenge (5) Charity Events (74) chile (4) classes (3) coaster sketch (9) colored pencil (59) computer art (5) DailyPaintworks Auction (3) demo video (4) Digital Painting (14) doodle (1) dphotos (1) exhibit (156) Figure (4) Fine Art Friends (3) Floweb browsing (1) Flowers (33) food (10) Footwork (1) fused glass (3) Gallery (3) gluten free (5) Golden Open paints (2) Golf (12) House Concert (1) iMac Sketch (1) Inktense (2) inst (1) instruction (76) iPad Sketch (90) iPad sketches (103) iph (1) iPhone painting (3) iPhone sketch (26) jo (1) Jo's Notion (9) Jo's Thoughts (299) Joanna (2) Joodles (2) Landscapes (137) Marines (29) marketing (3) meme (6) Music (68) New Mexico (130) Nonsense (2) Oil Painting (72) Oil Pastel (1) painting buddies (1) PanPastel works (3) Pastel (29) Pastel Demo (60) Pastel Paintings (408) pastel sketch (132) Pastels (12) pears (3) Peru (1) Photo (83) photography (1) Photos (981) Plein air painting (56) podcast (1) poll (1) pottery (2) Powwow (3) Recipe (6) restaurants (6) scenery (17) Sculptor (7) sculpture (4) seascape (2) sketch (4) Sketches (1804) snow (2) Still Life (36) Stu (1) Studio (26) Texas (70) Trees (36) tribute (5) under painting (1) Unsorted (7) videos (4) watercolor (178) watercolors (13) web browsing (262) web page (11) wetcanvas (1) WIP work in progress (15) workshop (8) World Blog Hop (2) Yesterfest (2) zentangle (2)