Website Jo Castillo Art




Back to my website:

Monday, April 22, 2013

Personal Style Art and Miscellaneous Photo Notes

I found this article very interesting.  I seem to struggle with my personal style.  I mean, I obviously have one, but would like to keep improving. Mr Bond says it will come naturally with time.  I admire a loose, painterly style and mine is more constrained.  I think I need more practice!  ..... and more time!

-----------------------------

Develop Your Personal Style

by Keith Bond

Someone recently asked me for guidance on how to develop a personal style. The short answer is not to worry about it too much. It will come naturally with time. The caveat, though, is that you need to let it develop. This leads me to the long answer. [...]

Read the rest of this article at:
http://faso.com/fineartviews/59024/develop-your-personal-style

----------------------------------------------
This excerpt appears courtesy of FineArtViews Art Marketing Newsletter by FASO,
a free email newsletter about art, marketing, inspiration and fine living for artists,
collectors and galleries (and anyone else who loves art).



For a complimentary subscription, visit: http://www.faso.com/art-marketing-newsletter

-----------------------------------------------



I also wanted to show you the final bloom on the corn plant.  That is still so amazing to me.  The stem for the bloom was finally about 16 inches long.  As the flowers opened our whole house smelled something like honeysuckle.  I decided I would cut it before the little flowers began to drop and a good thing I did.  It was dripping sap and there was a sticky spot about 5 inches in diameter on the floor.  It was easier to clean than pine sap, but was very sticky.  Corn syrup, perhaps??


Also we went to Winchester, Texas, to the Murphy's Steakhouse, last Thursday.  That restaurant is so good and so busy. The population of Winchester was 50 in 2000, so not sure about now.  Maybe a few less.  Anyway the restaurant is so busy on Thursday, Friday and Saturday evenings that you definitely need reservations.  There are tables for 60 or so and stay busy all day.  Where do the customers come from??

My Photo

Jennie's Photo
My photo a little later in the evening.

Back to my story, on the way home from the restaurant I took a snapshot of the beautiful sunset.  Jennie, our daughter, sent me a photo of the sunset she took when she and Brandon went to a Zac Brown concert.  Looks like the same sunset to me.  :-)  Did you take a photo, too?  Send me a copy and I will post it here.

Baseball Note


The Texas Longhorns are struggling and in competition with Texas Tech for last place in the Big 12 conference.  They are 5 - 10 in conference play.  They have lost umpteen games by 1 run and have had so few hits and won a few 1 run games, too.  Saturday at the Disch, there was a big celebration for the 1983 National Championship Team with Cliff Guftason, longtime coach,  and the players present. Maybe this inspired the current team as they won against West Virginia by a score of 12 - 0.  (They lost the other two games of the series 1-0 and 6-3.) They actually had 14 hits.  Well, we still like the Horns and won't give up on them yet.  Hope it comes together for them soon.  Hook 'em Horns!


8 comments:

Bag Blog said...

Someone told me once that I should be harder on my students and tell them when their work is really awful. But I just can't do it. If they are happy with their work, who am I to say it stinks? Maybe they are developing a style that is not like mine and maybe one that I don't particularly like. Sometimes they just need more work and I do tell them so. I want to encourage them to find their own style. I'm not even sure if I have a style, because I paint so differently all the time depending on the medium or my mood.

I may have to pull for TT since it is one of my old colleges.

Jo Castillo said...

Bag Blog, you made me smile about both aspects. I can't imagine you being hard on students, maybe strict but not hard.
I root for TT as well when they aren't playing the Horns or the NM Lobos! We lived in Lubbock 3 years.

Bag Blog said...

It has become a joke between me and one of my art girls to ask, "Are you content with that..." I asked her that question one day and her answer was, "Well, are YOU content?" I told her I was not content.

Jo Castillo said...

Bag Blog, ah, I like that. To be content with a painting is a good feeling!

Joanna said...

I took a photo too! But, it was a before the sunset reached its prime. I just sent it to you. :-)

Jo Castillo said...

Ah, thanks, Joanna. I will put it up soon. The sunset started off well, too!

Regina Calton Burchett said...

What an amazing bloom!! It was just waiting for you and Gene all these years, I'm thinking.

Jo Castillo said...

Thanks, Regima, it is a special plant. : )


About Me

My photo
Bastrop, Texas, United States
I Grew up in a small town , Magdalena, New Mexico. I enjoy art and the pleasure other people get from my work. I always donate some of my sales and art to charities, especially for children. That started in Bolivia with Para los Niños. "I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colors. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns." -- Winston Churchill

Labels

#inktober (48) #inktober2019 (27) #inktober2023 (20) #inktober21 (11) abstract (1) Acrylic Paintings (75) Arizona (3) Art House Project (14) artist (88) artist blogger (356) artist blogger  instruction (3) artist blogger  instruction (20) artist blogger  instruction (17) artist blogger instruction (40) artist friend (7) at (1) Balloons (1) Baseball (206) Bastrop Sketchers (11) Bastrop TX (34) Bolivia (5) Calendar (1) Canada (3) Challenge (5) Charity Events (74) chile (4) classes (3) coaster sketch (9) colored pencil (59) computer art (5) DailyPaintworks Auction (3) demo video (4) Digital Painting (14) doodle (1) dphotos (1) exhibit (156) Figure (4) Fine Art Friends (3) Floweb browsing (1) Flowers (33) food (10) Footwork (1) fused glass (3) Gallery (3) gluten free (5) Golden Open paints (2) Golf (12) House Concert (1) iMac Sketch (1) Inktense (2) inst (1) instruction (76) iPad Sketch (90) iPad sketches (103) iph (1) iPhone painting (3) iPhone sketch (26) jo (1) Jo's Notion (9) Jo's Thoughts (299) Joanna (2) Joodles (2) Landscapes (137) Marines (29) marketing (3) meme (6) Music (68) New Mexico (130) Nonsense (2) Oil Painting (72) Oil Pastel (1) painting buddies (1) PanPastel works (3) Pastel (29) Pastel Demo (60) Pastel Paintings (408) pastel sketch (131) Pastels (12) pears (3) Peru (1) Photo (83) photography (1) Photos (979) Plein air painting (56) podcast (1) poll (1) pottery (2) Powwow (3) Recipe (6) restaurants (6) scenery (17) Sculptor (7) sculpture (4) seascape (2) sketch (4) Sketches (1803) snow (2) Still Life (36) Stu (1) Studio (26) Texas (70) Trees (36) tribute (5) under painting (1) Unsorted (7) videos (4) watercolor (178) watercolors (13) web browsing (262) web page (11) wetcanvas (1) WIP work in progress (15) workshop (8) World Blog Hop (2) Yesterfest (2) zentangle (2)