Website Jo Castillo Art




Back to my website:

Friday, March 09, 2012

Scavenger Hunt Relaxing

I sketched on the iPad with the APP "Brushes".  It is fun but as mentioned in a comment on a previous post, I'm not quite sure that it is helpful to my painting.  I'll put a few ideas here and see what you think.


  • I am doing something with "art"
  • I can quickly see if my idea is workable.  I think it is a great tool for thumbnails, quick sketches to plan a painting.  I haven't tried it yet.
  • I can send the sketch immediately with no camera or scanning involved.
  • Brushes has replay on it so you can play and see your sketches unfold.  May help to make fewer and more positive strokes?
  • I can take the iPad with me like a sketchbook and sketch, make notes, e-mail it to someone.
  • I can do plein air painting on it.


Mary asked how will this help my painting?  That is a big question. More experience may give us an answer to that.  There is no turning back.

Have any of you used your smart phone or iPad for sketching?  I use my iPhone, too.

I tried to avoid the "undo" in my sketch.  I did zoom in a little to do the sketch in the sketch.  I did correct my shoe a little.  I corrected only the outer edge as I had my foot quite a bit bigger.  I left the original laces and mess there.





4 comments:

Sam Duvall said...

I always thought that drawing/sketching on an i-device would be weird and not very intuitive, but you bring up some nice points as to how it could improve ones general skills! I think drawing in a way that you never thought of before or don't usually use could potentially reveal aspects of your own personal style you never may have noticed if you keep to the same medium all the time. Drawing on a smaller screen with less room than on paper probably also improves scrutiny and an eye for smaller details.

I find it very funny that you draw using the "image within an image within an..." technique - I love that kind of image.

Jo Castillo said...

Hi Sam, Hadn't seen you for a while. Started your book yesterday. Cool, even though it is not my genre. :) Very creative and interesting.

I think the iPad will certainly boost my imagination as it is so easy to discard something. In painting I'm pretty stingy with the expensive canvas or boards. It is fun to try the different media as well. Different brushes and textures. I always find that when I change from pastels to oils or watercolors it makes me think again and is good for my brain.

I love Norman Rockwells self portrait where he is looking back in a mirror. Fun.

Joanna said...

Oooh...the infinite sketch is spooky! I like it. :-)

Jo Castillo said...

Joanna, thank you! I looked up the Norman Rockwell self portrait and it isn't the same. He's looking in a mirror and painting himself painting, but doesn't show the back mirror. My memory failed me. Sigh....
http://www.wikipaintings.org/en/norman-rockwell/self-portrait


About Me

My photo
Bastrop, Texas, United States
I Grew up in a small town , Magdalena, New Mexico. I enjoy art and the pleasure other people get from my work. I always donate some of my sales and art to charities, especially for children. That started in Bolivia with Para los Niños. "I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colors. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns." -- Winston Churchill

Labels

#inktober (48) #inktober2019 (27) #inktober2023 (20) #inktober21 (11) abstract (1) Acrylic Paintings (75) Arizona (3) Art House Project (14) artist (88) artist blogger (356) artist blogger  instruction (3) artist blogger  instruction (20) artist blogger  instruction (17) artist blogger instruction (40) artist friend (7) at (1) Balloons (1) Baseball (206) Bastrop Sketchers (11) Bastrop TX (34) Bolivia (5) Calendar (1) Canada (3) Challenge (5) Charity Events (74) chile (4) classes (3) coaster sketch (9) colored pencil (58) computer art (5) DailyPaintworks Auction (3) demo video (4) Digital Painting (14) doodle (1) dphotos (1) exhibit (155) Figure (4) Fine Art Friends (3) Floweb browsing (1) Flowers (33) food (10) Footwork (1) fused glass (3) Gallery (3) gluten free (5) Golden Open paints (2) Golf (12) House Concert (1) iMac Sketch (1) Inktense (2) inst (1) instruction (76) iPad Sketch (90) iPad sketches (103) iph (1) iPhone painting (3) iPhone sketch (24) jo (1) Jo's Notion (9) Jo's Thoughts (298) Joanna (2) Joodles (2) Landscapes (137) Marines (29) marketing (3) meme (6) Music (68) New Mexico (130) Nonsense (2) Oil Painting (72) Oil Pastel (1) painting buddies (1) PanPastel works (3) Pastel (29) Pastel Demo (60) Pastel Paintings (408) pastel sketch (130) Pastels (12) pears (3) Peru (1) Photo (83) photography (1) Photos (976) Plein air painting (56) podcast (1) poll (1) pottery (2) Powwow (3) Recipe (6) restaurants (6) scenery (17) Sculptor (7) sculpture (4) seascape (2) sketch (4) Sketches (1798) snow (2) Still Life (36) Stu (1) Studio (26) Texas (70) Trees (36) tribute (5) under painting (1) Unsorted (7) videos (4) watercolor (178) watercolors (13) web browsing (262) web page (11) wetcanvas (1) WIP work in progress (15) workshop (8) World Blog Hop (2) Yesterfest (2) zentangle (2)