Website Jo Castillo Art




Back to my website:

Wednesday, March 07, 2012

Hunting the Evil Eye

Sketching for Scavenger Hunt 259 is interesting.  Bonnie gave us an alphabetical list again, with items like abstract, inspirational, wobbly, frolicking, etc.  Time for the thinking caps.  She also put on a few "real" items which is nice when you don't want to think.

I first sketched with the Prismacolor Premier 01 in the brown paper sketchbook.

Number 1, karma (or good luck charm) - I chose a Turkish evil eye that Kathy brought us.  It is beautiful bright blue macrame with the eye beads in black, white and dark blue glass.  It is actually supposed to ward off the evil eye, not be an evil eye.  It is about the size of the palm of your hand.

 It seems to be working and giving us positive results.  You think??


Number 2, black - my shoe and sock done on the iPad.  Again I try to do them like a real sketch with no "undo" so they are a little sketchy.  Heh, heh.

Number 3, abstract - I sketched the newspaper, Gene's coffee cup, a plastic wine glass, paper cup and a cord from my iPhone.  About as abstract as I can get.  I sketched it in the hotel room in Killeen, therefore the paper cup had some sort of writing on it.

I worked on a sketch of Gene, too.  My arm was sore from zigzagging  back and forth with my finger on the iPad to fill in the colors.  I also tried real abstracts and that took lots of filling in.  Never thought of getting sore from drawing!!  Getting a little exercise.  Oh, so little.









6 comments:

Bag Blog said...

I love the ipad drawings - especially the shoe! Nice leg.

Jo Castillo said...

Thank you, Bag Blog. Wishful thinking on the skinny leg. LOL

Mary said...

Very cool sketch of the Evil Eye piece, Jo. I can't imagine sketching on an IPad--the learning curve would be quite daunting for me. I am curious, for you and others who do this: do you feel that using the IPad contributes as much to your painting as traditional sketching does?

BTW, I love your "Breakfast View painting, shown in the 2/27 post; sunning work.

Jo Castillo said...

Hi Mary, I have mixed feelings about the iPad for painting and puzzles. The "undo" button is so easy to use. : ) I have been trying to avoid it on these sketches. You can also zoom in and make tiny corrections. It may help me in "mixing" or deciding on color.

I want to mention about puzzles, too, because I do cryptograms all the time and when you I do them by hand, I think more as it is messy to erase, etc. On the iPad you put in a letter and it is instantly on all the blanks so you see much quicker if you err and just undo.

So, I think it is a different tool and we always learn by trying different things. It provides an easy way to experiment and try "thumbnails" for ideas. I think it can help in that way for sure.

I have seen some amazing drawings on them. I am anxious to try to do a more finished piece on the iPad.

Joanna said...

I like the Evil Eye!

And, the iPad sketches. :-)

Jo Castillo said...

Joanna, thank you. Guess you are one of the few that has seen the Evil Eye in person!


About Me

My photo
Bastrop, Texas, United States
I Grew up in a small town , Magdalena, New Mexico. I enjoy art and the pleasure other people get from my work. I always donate some of my sales and art to charities, especially for children. That started in Bolivia with Para los Niños. "I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colors. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns." -- Winston Churchill

Labels

#inktober (48) #inktober2019 (27) #inktober2023 (20) #inktober21 (11) abstract (1) Acrylic Paintings (75) Arizona (3) Art House Project (14) artist (88) artist blogger (356) artist blogger  instruction (3) artist blogger  instruction (20) artist blogger  instruction (17) artist blogger instruction (40) artist friend (7) at (1) Balloons (1) Baseball (206) Bastrop Sketchers (11) Bastrop TX (34) Bolivia (5) Calendar (1) Canada (3) Challenge (5) Charity Events (74) chile (4) classes (3) coaster sketch (9) colored pencil (58) computer art (5) DailyPaintworks Auction (3) demo video (4) Digital Painting (14) doodle (1) dphotos (1) exhibit (155) Figure (4) Fine Art Friends (3) Floweb browsing (1) Flowers (33) food (10) Footwork (1) fused glass (3) Gallery (3) gluten free (5) Golden Open paints (2) Golf (12) House Concert (1) iMac Sketch (1) Inktense (2) inst (1) instruction (75) iPad Sketch (90) iPad sketches (102) iph (1) iPhone painting (3) iPhone sketch (24) jo (1) Jo's Notion (9) Jo's Thoughts (298) Joanna (2) Joodles (2) Landscapes (137) Marines (29) marketing (3) meme (6) Music (68) New Mexico (130) Nonsense (2) Oil Painting (72) Oil Pastel (1) painting buddies (1) PanPastel works (3) Pastel (29) Pastel Demo (60) Pastel Paintings (408) pastel sketch (129) Pastels (12) pears (3) Peru (1) Photo (83) photography (1) Photos (972) Plein air painting (56) podcast (1) poll (1) pottery (2) Powwow (3) Recipe (6) restaurants (6) scenery (17) Sculptor (7) sculpture (4) seascape (2) sketch (4) Sketches (1792) snow (2) Still Life (36) Stu (1) Studio (26) Texas (70) Trees (36) tribute (5) under painting (1) Unsorted (7) videos (4) watercolor (178) watercolors (12) web browsing (262) web page (11) wetcanvas (1) WIP work in progress (15) workshop (8) World Blog Hop (2) Yesterfest (2) zentangle (2)