Website Jo Castillo Art




Back to my website:

Wednesday, October 05, 2011

Sketches and More Fire Photos

I actually sketched a little which is good for my soul.  Although, as I have said many times, sketching is a bit like homework.  I am still trying to love it and at times I almost succeed.  I prefer sketching with a pen as it is quick and I can't change my mind.

On Wednesday we went by WalMart on our way to eat, as I recall.  I sketched the dash radio/CD console of the Escape in my little purse sketchbook with a Pilot ball point pen while I waited for Gene.  It sort of fits in Scavenger Hunt 240 with a stretch of the imagination.  The item was "steering wheel".  This may be a little harder without the large ellipse, right?  There is a bit of a steering wheel in the "car" sketch to even things out.

So, Number 5 - steering wheel, substituting radio, CD console.

 Number 1, flower - the flowers on a crepe myrtle tree and Number 3, car - the Explorer.  I did these while I washed clothes at the laundry in the RV park.


Number 2, outdoor - an old mesquite tree with shadow.  Number 4, indoor - the corner of the RV when we got back inside.

We have made an offer on a house and it has been accepted verbally.  Hoping we get it in writing today.  It is such a perfect house to "bring to life" as Larry said.  Won't show any photos in hopes that it comes through today.

Yesterday as we went out to find a consignment furniture store, we went left out of the RV Park, when we turned around and started back toward Bastrop we could see big plumes of smoke north of town.  Yikes!  That is the direction of the new house!


The Bastrop County Complex Fire - Old Potato Break
You can see one of the planes going to drop water or retardant on the fire.  Luckily the wind is not blowing like it was in the big fire and we have firefighters so handy!  The old fire is still flaring up.  In many areas there are still hot spots and when the pine needles are dropping they smoulder and flare up again.  The firefighters are busy all day every day.  I can't imagine how long this will last.  No rain in sight .. maybe even two more years of drought depending on La Niña.    Please take care and keep your butts in your cars!


They say on the news that 1000 acres have burned and the fire is 25% contained,but at least the smoke plumes are gone this morning.

This is toward the fire.

Beautiful sunrise again this morning.
Out Highway 71 between our old turn off and Smithville, the Bastrop Fire.

Same area with the pine needles burned off the trees.  Wow.

8 comments:

Joan Tavolott said...

Glad you are doing some sketch therapy! Good luck with the offer on the house. That would be great!! I just can't believe that those fires are still burning. The volunteen fighters deserve such thanks and respect!!

Jo Castillo said...

Joan, the firefighters are so special and the local officials have really been busy and working hard. The State and electric companies have cleared the right of way on the highways, restored power and put some sort of erosion retardant on the sides of the roads. The county is picking up debris if the owners separate it and put it near the road. The volunteers and all have been so helpful. The community is working together so well. :-)

Bag Blog said...

It is good that the people of Bastrop and area are pulling together. A catastrophe sometimes brings out the best in people.

I hope the house comes through for you and the rains come tumbling down to heal the land.

Rose Welty said...

I was thinking that you have probably sketched a lot of the treasures you lost in the fire - then I realized you probably lost the sketchbooks too. But I suppose they are uploaded on Picasa, aren't they? A whole new perspective on blogging...

Love your sketches and you Jo. Hope there is good news on the house.

Jo Castillo said...

Bag Blog, thank you. It was a bit cloudy today so we keep hoping!

Rose, I do have all the sketches where I posted about them on my blog. I think I have 3 sketchbooks with me. We have memories, just not so many visuals. Sigh....

I'm excited about the house but it got to me a little today as I always plan where to my "stuff" in the houses we have lived in ahead and we can just put it there. This time I have to plan what to put as well. But it will be an adventure!

Joanna said...

Happy to see some sketches!

Rae Andrews, Contemporary Texas Artist in all media said...

Yikes! Is right Jo, that would be a heck of a run of deja vu.
I am so happy you have verbally contracted to buy another home though, good luck with it all.
Hugs always
Rae

Jo Castillo said...

Joanna, I'm happy to be sketching, too. Well, you know doing my homework.

Rae, thank you. Things are looking up. Hugs back.


About Me

My photo
Bastrop, Texas, United States
I Grew up in a small town , Magdalena, New Mexico. I enjoy art and the pleasure other people get from my work. I always donate some of my sales and art to charities, especially for children. That started in Bolivia with Para los Niños. "I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colors. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns." -- Winston Churchill

Labels

#inktober (48) #inktober2019 (27) #inktober2023 (20) #inktober21 (11) abstract (1) Acrylic Paintings (75) Arizona (3) Art House Project (14) artist (88) artist blogger (356) artist blogger  instruction (3) artist blogger  instruction (20) artist blogger  instruction (17) artist blogger instruction (40) artist friend (7) at (1) Balloons (1) Baseball (206) Bastrop Sketchers (11) Bastrop TX (34) Bolivia (5) Calendar (1) Canada (3) Challenge (5) Charity Events (74) chile (4) classes (3) coaster sketch (9) colored pencil (58) computer art (5) DailyPaintworks Auction (3) demo video (4) Digital Painting (14) doodle (1) dphotos (1) exhibit (155) Figure (4) Fine Art Friends (3) Floweb browsing (1) Flowers (33) food (10) Footwork (1) fused glass (3) Gallery (3) gluten free (5) Golden Open paints (2) Golf (12) House Concert (1) iMac Sketch (1) Inktense (2) inst (1) instruction (76) iPad Sketch (90) iPad sketches (103) iph (1) iPhone painting (3) iPhone sketch (26) jo (1) Jo's Notion (9) Jo's Thoughts (299) Joanna (2) Joodles (2) Landscapes (137) Marines (29) marketing (3) meme (6) Music (68) New Mexico (130) Nonsense (2) Oil Painting (72) Oil Pastel (1) painting buddies (1) PanPastel works (3) Pastel (29) Pastel Demo (60) Pastel Paintings (408) pastel sketch (130) Pastels (12) pears (3) Peru (1) Photo (83) photography (1) Photos (977) Plein air painting (56) podcast (1) poll (1) pottery (2) Powwow (3) Recipe (6) restaurants (6) scenery (17) Sculptor (7) sculpture (4) seascape (2) sketch (4) Sketches (1799) snow (2) Still Life (36) Stu (1) Studio (26) Texas (70) Trees (36) tribute (5) under painting (1) Unsorted (7) videos (4) watercolor (178) watercolors (13) web browsing (262) web page (11) wetcanvas (1) WIP work in progress (15) workshop (8) World Blog Hop (2) Yesterfest (2) zentangle (2)