Website Jo Castillo Art




Back to my website:

Monday, August 29, 2011

Painting Pastels and Sketching.

I painted on Thursday before Gene's ride, but didn't get any post done.  I was trying to get a couple more little paintings done for the Arts About Town on Saturday, September 3, here in Angel Fire.  You can see about it on the sidebar under Exhibits.

I put two 5 x 7 Pastelbords on my drawing board and went upstairs and painted.  I had aspens and the mountains in mind.  I decided on aspens in the fall and a cabin in the woods.  I worked on them both for most of the afternoon and finished up the aspens yesterday.  The aspens were on a white Pastelbord so I did a watercolor underpainting in basically the same tones before starting in pastel.  The cabin is on a board I had painted on before and wiped and washed off, so needed no underpainting.  I used various brands of pastels and a different palette for each.

Seldom Used - Pastel on Pastelbord, 5 x 7 inches, $50.00

Aspen Gold, Pastel on Pastelbord, 7 x 5 inches, $90.00
Both paintings are against the glass and taped.  Seldom used is unframed, but ready to pop in a frame or sit on an easel.  I had sketched the cabin up in Red River on the day I sketched with Lou Baggett.  I really like the shape of the tree against the cabin.  You can see it almost looks the same in both the sketch and the painting.  Wow!

The Aspen Gold will be in a frame to match Summer Aspens.  They have a 3 inch mahogany colored frames, just flat frames.  They look neat.  I will try to get a photo.  You can see them together on the post on Jo's Notions and More Paintings here.  A little break in price if you buy the set.

I sketched yesterday morning for Scavenger Hunt 235.  It was nice out on the deck again.  Last year we had a deck I could paint on, but not this year.  I could paint on the deck downstairs here but it is small and I would have to carry everything in and out and up and down.  I'm just not into that.  Anyway, sketches are in the same sketchbook with the same pen.

Number 9, from the table - a clear plastic napkin holder and the paper napkins with blue flowers.  Number 10, souvenir - a little copper church that we gave Gene's mom from Chile.  We just got it back last time we were in Albuquerque.  I drew it without my hand that was holding it, giving it such a strange angle that I decided to add my hand.  I don't really have a see through thumb.

We will be on the road to the dentist so will be sketching and not painting.  I will try to post from the hotel.

10 comments:

Bag Blog said...

I recognized the cabin and tree - this turned out very nice.

Mary Sheehan Winn said...

Very nice, Jo. Thanks for visiting me :D

Joanna said...

See-through thumb, indeed! Pretty colors in the paintings.

Jo Castillo said...

Bag Blog, thank you. I liked the pen and ink sketch before I put on the pastel, I will have to try one again, just ink.

Mary, you are most welcome. I look and don't always post! Nice to see you.

Joanna, thank you. I'm hardly transparent. Ha.

Teresa said...

Both lovely Jo.. but just can't resist cabins... with red roofs... and alpine scenery!

Jo Castillo said...

Hi Teresa, thanks. I do love red in paintings. :)

Rosemary said...

Lovely! Wonderful atmosphere in both and with the depth you created behind the cabin, it looks so lonely! Love your color choices and soft touch! Great sketches as always! Good luck tomorrow!

Jo Castillo said...

Rosemary, thank you. I appreciate the encouragement. Looks like it will be a good day!

Joan Tavolott said...

Lookin' good!!!! I sent you an email about the wildfires in Texas. Hope you are safe!

Jo Castillo said...

Thanks, Joan. I answered your note. See you on the Hunts.


About Me

My photo
Bastrop, Texas, United States
I Grew up in a small town , Magdalena, New Mexico. I enjoy art and the pleasure other people get from my work. I always donate some of my sales and art to charities, especially for children. That started in Bolivia with Para los Niños. "I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colors. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns." -- Winston Churchill

Labels

#inktober (48) #inktober2019 (27) #inktober2023 (20) #inktober21 (11) abstract (1) Acrylic Paintings (75) Arizona (3) Art House Project (14) artist (88) artist blogger (356) artist blogger  instruction (3) artist blogger  instruction (20) artist blogger  instruction (17) artist blogger instruction (40) artist friend (7) at (1) Balloons (1) Baseball (206) Bastrop Sketchers (11) Bastrop TX (34) Bolivia (5) Calendar (1) Canada (3) Challenge (5) Charity Events (74) chile (4) classes (3) coaster sketch (9) colored pencil (58) computer art (5) DailyPaintworks Auction (3) demo video (4) Digital Painting (14) doodle (1) dphotos (1) exhibit (155) Figure (4) Fine Art Friends (3) Floweb browsing (1) Flowers (33) food (10) Footwork (1) fused glass (3) Gallery (3) gluten free (5) Golden Open paints (2) Golf (12) House Concert (1) iMac Sketch (1) Inktense (2) inst (1) instruction (75) iPad Sketch (90) iPad sketches (102) iph (1) iPhone painting (3) iPhone sketch (24) jo (1) Jo's Notion (9) Jo's Thoughts (298) Joanna (2) Joodles (2) Landscapes (137) Marines (29) marketing (3) meme (6) Music (68) New Mexico (130) Nonsense (2) Oil Painting (72) Oil Pastel (1) painting buddies (1) PanPastel works (3) Pastel (29) Pastel Demo (60) Pastel Paintings (408) pastel sketch (129) Pastels (12) pears (3) Peru (1) Photo (83) photography (1) Photos (975) Plein air painting (56) podcast (1) poll (1) pottery (2) Powwow (3) Recipe (6) restaurants (6) scenery (17) Sculptor (7) sculpture (4) seascape (2) sketch (4) Sketches (1798) snow (2) Still Life (36) Stu (1) Studio (26) Texas (70) Trees (36) tribute (5) under painting (1) Unsorted (7) videos (4) watercolor (178) watercolors (13) web browsing (262) web page (11) wetcanvas (1) WIP work in progress (15) workshop (8) World Blog Hop (2) Yesterfest (2) zentangle (2)