Website Jo Castillo Art




Back to my website:

Friday, August 05, 2011

Notes from Angel Fire, Sketches and Photos

We arrived in Angel Fire on July 15.  It was pretty dry and warm here, too, when we got here, but the monsoon weather started and it has greened up near here.  There are still dry areas, but hopefully the rains will  catch up.  The State Parks and fishing areas were all closed but are opening more every day.

Our condo is not quite what we expected.  The deck area is much smaller than last year and we don't have much of a view.  We thought it was in an end building but is the second one in.  I can see some trees and mountains that I sketched when we first got here for the Scavenger Hunts.  We love it here in Angel Fire, though, so we can live with this condo.  The weather is excellent and plenty to do for us.

What I see from the deck.
Our son, David, and his wife, Lisa, were here for a week.   They had a whirlwind tour of the area, then we went back to Albuquerque and Magdalena to visit with family.  We had a great time. I posted a few of the photos from that visit.

Last week, Sue Modrak, my painting buddy from Michigan was here.  I have posted a bit from her visit and will add some sketches and photos as I catch up.  We picked her up at the Sunport and took her back to Albuququerque on Monday.

Last Tuesday, my blogging friend and artist, Lou Baggett (Bag Blog) was in Red River so I went over and spent the afternoon with her.  What fun it is to meet in person again.  We have met now three times I think.  We just can't talk fast enough.  I had lunch with Joy, her friend that was with her, and Lou and then we went looking around RR which is where Lou spent many years.  Every where we went we ran into  someone she knows.  We even sketched, from the car as it was sprinkling.  A very pleasant afternoon.

Lou and I at the foot of the ski run.

This is the sketch I did.  We sat in the car as it was sprinkling.  Lou painted a little watercolor.  I had lovely ink lines but the sketch was lost as I added pastels on the watercolor paper.  If you stand back from your screen it looks better .. really!

We were right by this lake.  Very pretty.

Gene spent the day here in Angel Fire (AXX).  He packed up some things we have to mail for Sue and David.  He didn't get out on his bike as it was rainy off and on with lots of clouds.  He was probably glad to have a day off on his own without much to do.  He is great to put up with Sue and I and our painting and gabbing.  It is very quiet here this morning.

Scavenger Hunt 232 sketches:
Number 3, thermometer and Number 4, phone.  Both in the usual sketchbook with a Pilot ball point pen.

Maybe we will be off to try a little golf for the first time since we arrived.  We will go to Escondido and see how the prairie dogs are doing.

We did go golf this morning (Friday).  Beautiful day.  This is hole #9.  The walk up the hill to the hole on the left is a challenge at this altitude!  It looks gentle in the photo but is very uphill.  Beautiful day.

This is the ski run as we came back into town from Los Alamos yesterday.  We went to golf but it was raining when we got there.  Need the rain more than golf.  A few photos from the ride:




We stopped an ate lunch at Chimayo.  Such a great restaurant.  Looks like we will go there for my birthday like we did last year.  That post has a couple of slide shows of the scenery.  Beautiful.

I feel sorry for those of you in the heat wave.  Our area at home is going into something like 30+ days of over 100 degrees.  Yikes.  Stay cool!

7 comments:

Mary Sheehan Winn said...

Seems like you're having a nice summer. Lots of visiting and sketching and fun. How significant that you drew the thermometer!
I hate the heat!!
It's cool here in NE right now. In between heat waves ;}

Bag Blog said...

It was fun to see you and paint with you. I would love to have seen Gene,too, but I'm glad he had some time off from paint buddies. We are a talkative bunch!

Did Gene go rafting yet?

gene said...

Not yet, I plan to go with our two youngest next Friday.

Jo Castillo said...

Mary, you are so right. Lots of fun and cool here. Texas is still on 35+ days of over 100 with little rain. So hard on the water systems, vegetation and general living.

Bag Blog, it was great to see you. Maybe we will all get together before too long. Gene answered about the rafting.

Gene, hi!

Joanna said...

Not sure why you don't seem to like the sketch. I like it. :-)

Jo Castillo said...

Joanna, we are talking about the cabin sketch, I like it, but I had a really beautiful ink sketch and I thought I had lost the feel, but when I stood back away from it, I could see the depth again. Interesting.

Jo Castillo said...

Joanna, the cabin sketch is about 9 x 12 so couldn't see it well in my lap. Ha.


About Me

My photo
Bastrop, Texas, United States
I Grew up in a small town , Magdalena, New Mexico. I enjoy art and the pleasure other people get from my work. I always donate some of my sales and art to charities, especially for children. That started in Bolivia with Para los Niños. "I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colors. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns." -- Winston Churchill

Labels

#inktober (48) #inktober2019 (27) #inktober2023 (20) #inktober21 (11) abstract (1) Acrylic Paintings (75) Arizona (3) Art House Project (14) artist (88) artist blogger (356) artist blogger  instruction (3) artist blogger  instruction (20) artist blogger  instruction (17) artist blogger instruction (40) artist friend (7) at (1) Balloons (1) Baseball (206) Bastrop Sketchers (11) Bastrop TX (34) Bolivia (5) Calendar (1) Canada (3) Challenge (5) Charity Events (74) chile (4) classes (3) coaster sketch (9) colored pencil (58) computer art (5) DailyPaintworks Auction (3) demo video (4) Digital Painting (14) doodle (1) dphotos (1) exhibit (156) Figure (4) Fine Art Friends (3) Floweb browsing (1) Flowers (33) food (10) Footwork (1) fused glass (3) Gallery (3) gluten free (5) Golden Open paints (2) Golf (12) House Concert (1) iMac Sketch (1) Inktense (2) inst (1) instruction (76) iPad Sketch (90) iPad sketches (103) iph (1) iPhone painting (3) iPhone sketch (26) jo (1) Jo's Notion (9) Jo's Thoughts (299) Joanna (2) Joodles (2) Landscapes (137) Marines (29) marketing (3) meme (6) Music (68) New Mexico (130) Nonsense (2) Oil Painting (72) Oil Pastel (1) painting buddies (1) PanPastel works (3) Pastel (29) Pastel Demo (60) Pastel Paintings (408) pastel sketch (130) Pastels (12) pears (3) Peru (1) Photo (83) photography (1) Photos (977) Plein air painting (56) podcast (1) poll (1) pottery (2) Powwow (3) Recipe (6) restaurants (6) scenery (17) Sculptor (7) sculpture (4) seascape (2) sketch (4) Sketches (1801) snow (2) Still Life (36) Stu (1) Studio (26) Texas (70) Trees (36) tribute (5) under painting (1) Unsorted (7) videos (4) watercolor (178) watercolors (13) web browsing (262) web page (11) wetcanvas (1) WIP work in progress (15) workshop (8) World Blog Hop (2) Yesterfest (2) zentangle (2)