Website Jo Castillo Art




Back to my website:

Sunday, July 24, 2011

Sketches for Hunt 231 and New Mexico Photos

We got back from Albuquerque and had a great thunderstorm just as we were unloading.  It cooled things off nicely even though we were delayed in settling back in the condo.

This morning was nice out on the deck so I got out the Ultrecht sketchbook and the Prismacolor pen and went to work.  Well, not much work.

Number 1, fence - I substituted the deck rail across the way and did the challenge (Challenge #1 ~ Look at an object and draw it’s contours with a continuous line without looking at your paper.) of a blind contour drawing.  You can see that I am a little better when I look at the paper!

Number 2, view out your bedroom window - out the sliding door (you can see a bit of our rail).  Number 3, wild animal - haven't seen any near the condo so tried capturing the robin that was around while I did the other sketches.  Of course. as soon as I started drawing, it was gone.  Maybe I will see a bear or at least a squirrel and try one before the Hunt is over.

A few photos from the last few days around New Mexico between Angel Fire (AXX) and Albuquerque (ABQ).


Alpacas near Mora

Bluffs near Española

Church in Old Town Albuquerque, in use since 1706. 
Fires near Jemez and Los Alamos, these are the backfires they said to keep it contained.

Near my sister's place on the Augustine Plains 

Lookin' like rain near AXX

Rio Grande Gorge near Taos

David and Lisa in front of us on the ski lift in Red River.  Lisa and I are both afraid of heights and I cannot believe we did this.  Guess in my golden years I am braver  .. or stupider, which is what I kept telling Gene.  "I'll be all right as long as it doesn't stop,"  I said.  Then ... schreech!  It stopped three times on the way up.  Yikes!

Lisa and I at Taos Pueblo

A few of the radio antennas at the Very Large Array (VLA) on the Augustine Plains west of Magdalena.  Very interesting place.  The movie Contact was partly filmed there.

A different view of the fires.

Gene in front of Michael's Kitchen, a favorite eatery in Taos.  Thanks, Bag Blog.

Between Taos and AXX

Coming into AXX, you can see how dry it is.

6 comments:

Joanna said...

Like the fence sketch! Fun challenge.

Jo Castillo said...

Thanks, Joanna. It is good practice, should do it more.

Bag Blog said...

Before I read that it was a blind contour drawing, I thought that maybe you had had a stroke.

Nice photos. Michael't kitchen seems to be one place that has not changed.

Jo Castillo said...

Bag Blog, you made me laugh out loud. Yes, Michaels is still so good! They are open Friday, Saturday and Sundays for dinner now.

Regina Calton Burchett said...

Great photos, Jo - those clouds are amazing!! Hope you do a painting of that! (and sorry to hear it's dry there too)

Jo Castillo said...

Hi Regina, thanks. The skies here are great. It will be hard to decide which ones to paint! Too many choices. :)


About Me

My photo
Bastrop, Texas, United States
I Grew up in a small town , Magdalena, New Mexico. I enjoy art and the pleasure other people get from my work. I always donate some of my sales and art to charities, especially for children. That started in Bolivia with Para los Niños. "I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colors. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns." -- Winston Churchill

Labels

#inktober (48) #inktober2019 (27) #inktober2023 (20) #inktober21 (11) abstract (1) Acrylic Paintings (75) Arizona (3) Art House Project (14) artist (88) artist blogger (356) artist blogger  instruction (3) artist blogger  instruction (20) artist blogger  instruction (17) artist blogger instruction (40) artist friend (7) at (1) Balloons (1) Baseball (207) Bastrop Sketchers (11) Bastrop TX (34) Bolivia (5) Calendar (1) Canada (3) Challenge (5) Charity Events (74) chile (4) classes (3) coaster sketch (9) colored pencil (59) computer art (5) DailyPaintworks Auction (3) demo video (4) Digital Painting (14) doodle (1) dphotos (1) exhibit (156) Figure (4) Fine Art Friends (3) Floweb browsing (1) Flowers (33) food (10) Footwork (1) fused glass (3) Gallery (3) gluten free (5) Golden Open paints (2) Golf (12) House Concert (1) iMac Sketch (1) Inktense (2) inst (1) instruction (76) iPad Sketch (90) iPad sketches (103) iph (1) iPhone painting (3) iPhone sketch (26) jo (1) Jo's Notion (9) Jo's Thoughts (299) Joanna (2) Joodles (2) Landscapes (137) Marines (29) marketing (3) meme (6) Music (68) New Mexico (130) Nonsense (2) Oil Painting (72) Oil Pastel (1) painting buddies (1) PanPastel works (3) Pastel (29) Pastel Demo (60) Pastel Paintings (409) pastel sketch (132) Pastels (12) pears (3) Peru (1) Photo (83) photography (1) Photos (982) Plein air painting (56) podcast (1) poll (1) pottery (2) Powwow (3) Recipe (6) restaurants (6) scenery (17) Sculptor (7) sculpture (4) seascape (2) sketch (4) Sketches (1805) snow (2) Still Life (36) Stu (1) Studio (26) Texas (70) Trees (36) tribute (5) under painting (1) Unsorted (7) videos (4) watercolor (178) watercolors (14) web browsing (262) web page (11) wetcanvas (1) WIP work in progress (15) workshop (8) World Blog Hop (2) Yesterfest (2) zentangle (2)