Website Jo Castillo Art




Back to my website:

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Get Started Painting

I found an interesting article by Eric Rhoads  in Outdoor Painter about jumping into painting with oil paints.  Good info.

What medium do you like best and why?  I prefer pastels because it is painting and drawing all at once.  No clean up or waiting to dry.

I do like to smoosh around paint with a brush though.  Oil painting is fun, just takes a while to dry and the linseed oil gives me a headache.  The oils that clean with water smell, too, but not as much.  Maybe I will get out the oils tomorrow!  I have been using Winsor-Newton Artisan paints.  They are not too offensive, but I put the painting outside on the porch to dry.   I was reading that they make some brushes that they recommend for the paints.  Sounds interesting.

I sure hope that this gets me out of this funk.  I haven't painted in ages!

Where is Maggie Stiefvater to give a good butt kicking (link to her old blog about art) when you need it?    Ah, she is off writing books and being famous. (link to her writing blog)  Check her old blog to find several .. or more .. posts about how to apply yourself, stop procrastinating, etc.  Maggie is an inspiration for all of us.  She is amazing.  Oh, I've told you that many times before.  It is true!!!

Along the Rio Grande, Oil on Canvas, 10 x 8 inches

4 comments:

Bag Blog said...

I could use a good butt kickin' these days. I have lots on my to-do list, but I did get out my pastels, which I love, and do some touch ups on old paintings. Some of my students have been using oils and I hate the smells of the mineral spirits and such, but I do like the ease of the oils and the outcome.

Jo Castillo said...

Hi Bag Blog, Glad to hear you are getting out the pastels. I actually like the smell of the oil paint stuff, seems like "real" painting I guess, but it does give me a headache.

Regina Calton Burchett said...

Is that a new painting, Jo? I don't remember it, but like it! Oils really intimidate me, although I kind of like the smooshing around too (and I was impressed with your use of the techinical term). :-)

Jo Castillo said...

Ah, Regina. So funny. This is from my last show in Magdalena, I think. It is in a gold plein air frame at the moment. I like oils, just don't like the headaches and of course waitin' for the paint to dry.


About Me

My photo
Bastrop, Texas, United States
I Grew up in a small town , Magdalena, New Mexico. I enjoy art and the pleasure other people get from my work. I always donate some of my sales and art to charities, especially for children. That started in Bolivia with Para los Niños. "I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colors. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns." -- Winston Churchill

Labels

#inktober (48) #inktober2019 (27) #inktober2023 (20) #inktober21 (11) abstract (1) Acrylic Paintings (75) Arizona (3) Art House Project (14) artist (88) artist blogger (356) artist blogger  instruction (3) artist blogger  instruction (20) artist blogger  instruction (17) artist blogger instruction (40) artist friend (7) at (1) Balloons (1) Baseball (206) Bastrop Sketchers (11) Bastrop TX (34) Bolivia (5) Calendar (1) Canada (3) Challenge (5) Charity Events (74) chile (4) classes (3) coaster sketch (9) colored pencil (59) computer art (5) DailyPaintworks Auction (3) demo video (4) Digital Painting (14) doodle (1) dphotos (1) exhibit (156) Figure (4) Fine Art Friends (3) Floweb browsing (1) Flowers (33) food (10) Footwork (1) fused glass (3) Gallery (3) gluten free (5) Golden Open paints (2) Golf (12) House Concert (1) iMac Sketch (1) Inktense (2) inst (1) instruction (76) iPad Sketch (90) iPad sketches (103) iph (1) iPhone painting (3) iPhone sketch (26) jo (1) Jo's Notion (9) Jo's Thoughts (299) Joanna (2) Joodles (2) Landscapes (137) Marines (29) marketing (3) meme (6) Music (68) New Mexico (130) Nonsense (2) Oil Painting (72) Oil Pastel (1) painting buddies (1) PanPastel works (3) Pastel (29) Pastel Demo (60) Pastel Paintings (408) pastel sketch (132) Pastels (12) pears (3) Peru (1) Photo (83) photography (1) Photos (981) Plein air painting (56) podcast (1) poll (1) pottery (2) Powwow (3) Recipe (6) restaurants (6) scenery (17) Sculptor (7) sculpture (4) seascape (2) sketch (4) Sketches (1804) snow (2) Still Life (36) Stu (1) Studio (26) Texas (70) Trees (36) tribute (5) under painting (1) Unsorted (7) videos (4) watercolor (178) watercolors (13) web browsing (262) web page (11) wetcanvas (1) WIP work in progress (15) workshop (8) World Blog Hop (2) Yesterfest (2) zentangle (2)