Website Jo Castillo Art




Back to my website:

Friday, June 22, 2007

Papalote, Stuffed .. Pastel Paintings

We accomplished quite a bit so far today.



Gene framed the pastel painting, Stuffed, in a narrow metal frame, black. It looks nice. A photo doesn't show well with the glass so you can imagine it. :)

He also cut some masonite and foamcore for me. I'm going to use the masonite for painting with acrylics and with pastels. I bought some Colourfix grit finish to put on the boards. I will post about that and how well I like it. I use the foam core to attach paper when I paint plein air. You can use two pieces taped on one side like a folder. Attach the paper. Open it back and paint, then just fold it closed and clip it shut and you can carry it without it slipping and smearing.

I painted with pastels.


The under painting. Do you recognize it? It was the Hot Feet painting. I needed to make more changes than the paper would support. It was getting muddy. So I removed it and brushed the paper with alcohol to take away the muddy pastel. I will do the Hot Feet painting again when I have more time to work on the preliminary sketch and drawing.



This is a windmill, Papalote, from last summer when there were wildflowers and plenty of rain in New Mexico. It is pastel on Colourfix paper, dark green. 9.5 x 13.5 inches. It will be in a black frame. Most of the paintings for my show in New Mexico will be in black frames.

Now it is paperwork time. There is never enough time, but you know that already.

8 comments:

Joanna said...

Waitaminute. You did the windmill painting today? Using the paper from the "waiting to dance" feet painting?
Whiplash. :)

I like the windmill painting a lot. Great clouds.

Jo Castillo said...

Joanna, You got it. Big change on the paper, huh? Thanks for the nice words on the clouds.

Mom

Leslie Hawes said...

What Joanna said..whiplash!
The windmill is fantastic!
I like the idea that there is a ghost picture underneath it, too.
Mysterious!

Jo Castillo said...

Leslie,
That is one of the fun things about pastels. But, when something works, it works and you don't have to think about it. :)
Thanks,
Jo

Bag Blog said...

I really like the windmill picture. When you say, "I removed it" meaning the Happy Feet pastel, did you brush the pastel off the paper and then use alcohol?

Jo Castillo said...

Bag Blog, Yes. I brushed off as much as possible, wiped it with a towel and then used a paint brush to smear it with alcohol. It dries quickly and you can start the new painting. I also turned it upside down, even though you cover the shadow image.

Thanks for the interest,
Jo

Bag Blog said...

Thanks for sharing your techniques. I attended a demonstration where a lady painted turpentine with a brush onto the dark parts of her pastel. It dried quickly and she continued to layer pastel onto her Wallis paper. That is why I was interested in the "wiping off" process you used with alcohol. Good information - thanks!

Jo Castillo said...

Bag Blog, Yes, turpentine, alcohol and water all work. See my blog for today.
Jo


About Me

My photo
Bastrop, Texas, United States
I Grew up in a small town , Magdalena, New Mexico. I enjoy art and the pleasure other people get from my work. I always donate some of my sales and art to charities, especially for children. That started in Bolivia with Para los NiƱos. "I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colors. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns." -- Winston Churchill

Labels

#inktober (48) #inktober2019 (27) #inktober2023 (20) #inktober21 (11) abstract (1) Acrylic Paintings (75) Arizona (3) Art House Project (14) artist (88) artist blogger (356) artist blogger  instruction (3) artist blogger  instruction (20) artist blogger  instruction (17) artist blogger instruction (40) artist friend (7) at (1) Balloons (1) Baseball (206) Bastrop Sketchers (11) Bastrop TX (34) Bolivia (5) Calendar (1) Canada (3) Challenge (5) Charity Events (74) chile (4) classes (3) coaster sketch (9) colored pencil (58) computer art (5) DailyPaintworks Auction (3) demo video (4) Digital Painting (14) doodle (1) dphotos (1) exhibit (155) Figure (4) Fine Art Friends (3) Floweb browsing (1) Flowers (33) food (10) Footwork (1) fused glass (3) Gallery (3) gluten free (5) Golden Open paints (2) Golf (12) House Concert (1) iMac Sketch (1) Inktense (2) inst (1) instruction (75) iPad Sketch (90) iPad sketches (102) iph (1) iPhone painting (3) iPhone sketch (24) jo (1) Jo's Notion (9) Jo's Thoughts (298) Joanna (2) Joodles (2) Landscapes (137) Marines (29) marketing (3) meme (6) Music (68) New Mexico (130) Nonsense (2) Oil Painting (72) Oil Pastel (1) painting buddies (1) PanPastel works (3) Pastel (29) Pastel Demo (60) Pastel Paintings (408) pastel sketch (129) Pastels (12) pears (3) Peru (1) Photo (83) photography (1) Photos (973) Plein air painting (56) podcast (1) poll (1) pottery (2) Powwow (3) Recipe (6) restaurants (6) scenery (17) Sculptor (7) sculpture (4) seascape (2) sketch (4) Sketches (1794) snow (2) Still Life (36) Stu (1) Studio (26) Texas (70) Trees (36) tribute (5) under painting (1) Unsorted (7) videos (4) watercolor (178) watercolors (12) web browsing (262) web page (11) wetcanvas (1) WIP work in progress (15) workshop (8) World Blog Hop (2) Yesterfest (2) zentangle (2)