Website Jo Castillo Art




Back to my website:

Friday, June 29, 2007

Eye Glasses Difficulties

I have lens implants in my eyes because of cataracts. I have had them over 10 years. My vision improved so much after the surgery that it is amazing. My distance vision is 20-20. Because your eyes cannot change the focus, I need to wear reading glasses for reading and the computer. I have been buying the over the counter reading glasses which work fine, since my vision is steady and doesn't change. I have had a prescription pair of sunglasses for all this time and they were scratched and had lost their enamel color on the frame. They had gone from blue back to bronze. This pair of glasses has been the only sunglasses I have ever worn with no irritation or problems.

Gene decided to get a new prescription pair of glasses a few months ago and did so. He had also had a pair of glasses for more years than mine, I think. He decided to go with a cheaper frame and lens, since he wears them usually just for driving. Well, they became scratched and impossible to clean in just about a month so he decided to get another pair of the non scratch, flex frame glasses again.

I decided to break down and get new sunglasses as well. We went in together, had our prescriptions made and ordered the glasses. The salesgirl mentioned that reading glasses were on sale, two pair for $49.99. We said we just used the $8 over the counter kind and would forego the readers. Then I thought, that is only $25 a pair and it must be better to have all the astigmatism corrected and all and she said we could get a pair for Gene and a pair for me. When I picked up the glasses, I put on the glasses and could read the finest print on the page so came home, anxious to try the new readers on the computer. I put them on, sat down here and .....


This is what the computer screen looked like. :( We had to go to get Gene's glasses (to Austin, 90 miles round trip). I took mine back, they rechecked my eyes and said the astigmatism correction was too strong. The doctor corrected the prescription on the back, I took it to the glass makers and they said to pick them up last night. I looked at their computer and the glasses seemed OK.

Sadly, when I got home and tried them, my computer still looks like an upside down trapezoid. I think that the person that repairs the lenses, looked at the front of the prescription and didn't change anything. Drat. Back to the drawing board. Of course, now we are going on our trip and it will be out of touch with an eye glass place for almost two weeks. How nice is it that I can use over the counter readers in the meantime? What if I had to depend on the prescription glasses?

What does this have to do with art? With my perspective problems in sketching and drawing, imagine what kind of trouble I would get into with those glasses! Whew.

By the way, the sunglasses work great!

2 comments:

Anna Sellers said...

Hey Jo,
Maybe I should try a pair of your glasses it will solve all my perspective problems!! lol

Jo Castillo said...

Anna, There you go! Problem solved. :)

Jo


About Me

My photo
Bastrop, Texas, United States
I Grew up in a small town , Magdalena, New Mexico. I enjoy art and the pleasure other people get from my work. I always donate some of my sales and art to charities, especially for children. That started in Bolivia with Para los NiƱos. "I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colors. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns." -- Winston Churchill

Labels

#inktober (48) #inktober2019 (27) #inktober2023 (20) #inktober21 (11) abstract (1) Acrylic Paintings (75) Arizona (3) Art House Project (14) artist (88) artist blogger (356) artist blogger  instruction (3) artist blogger  instruction (20) artist blogger  instruction (17) artist blogger instruction (40) artist friend (7) at (1) Balloons (1) Baseball (206) Bastrop Sketchers (11) Bastrop TX (34) Bolivia (5) Calendar (1) Canada (3) Challenge (5) Charity Events (74) chile (4) classes (3) coaster sketch (9) colored pencil (59) computer art (5) DailyPaintworks Auction (3) demo video (4) Digital Painting (14) doodle (1) dphotos (1) exhibit (156) Figure (4) Fine Art Friends (3) Floweb browsing (1) Flowers (33) food (10) Footwork (1) fused glass (3) Gallery (3) gluten free (5) Golden Open paints (2) Golf (12) House Concert (1) iMac Sketch (1) Inktense (2) inst (1) instruction (76) iPad Sketch (90) iPad sketches (103) iph (1) iPhone painting (3) iPhone sketch (26) jo (1) Jo's Notion (9) Jo's Thoughts (299) Joanna (2) Joodles (2) Landscapes (137) Marines (29) marketing (3) meme (6) Music (68) New Mexico (130) Nonsense (2) Oil Painting (72) Oil Pastel (1) painting buddies (1) PanPastel works (3) Pastel (29) Pastel Demo (60) Pastel Paintings (408) pastel sketch (132) Pastels (12) pears (3) Peru (1) Photo (83) photography (1) Photos (981) Plein air painting (56) podcast (1) poll (1) pottery (2) Powwow (3) Recipe (6) restaurants (6) scenery (17) Sculptor (7) sculpture (4) seascape (2) sketch (4) Sketches (1804) snow (2) Still Life (36) Stu (1) Studio (26) Texas (70) Trees (36) tribute (5) under painting (1) Unsorted (7) videos (4) watercolor (178) watercolors (13) web browsing (262) web page (11) wetcanvas (1) WIP work in progress (15) workshop (8) World Blog Hop (2) Yesterfest (2) zentangle (2)