Website Jo Castillo Art




Back to my website:

Wednesday, May 01, 2024

Potato, Tomato, Water, Huh?

It was sketch or not today.  I read someplace the last couple of days about the only way to get back to painting is just paint.  Huh?  Who knew?  We try all the other ideas first, right.  

  • Try something new
  • Check out ideas online
  • Look at others art work
  • Take a break from art
  • Take a class
  • And more.  

Haven't had any luck.  So, I wiped off another sketch and put up three of the items from the Hunt and this is the result.

For Scavenger Hunt 112 https://creativespark.art/threads/scavenger-hunt-from-life-112-apr-25-may-3.6807/

Number 5 water, Number 6 tomato and Number 7 potato

After wiping off the previous sketch I brushed some alcohol over the surface to set the leftover pastel for an under painting.  I lightly put in the basic shapes and went from there to detail.  My perspective is a bit off on the tomato container.  I was satisfied for a sketch.  It took about a little over an hour from start to finish.

It usually takes longer to post my finished sketches than it does to sketch.  Especially these days when I have to stop and think about everything I do.  Not so many automatic movements anymore.

This was my set up.  

 

 

There was a discussion online about a small box for taking pastels for plein air painting that wasn't bulky and heavy.  When I first started painting on the spot I had a Rembrandt set of pastels.  I emptied the new pastels and put in pieces so I could have a good assortment of color without taking a heavy bag with more pastels.  I didn't want to invest in a pastel carrier at that time.

The box had two layers and still works fine.  I obviously haven't used this box in a while.  I would now sort by color and value.



This was my newer plein air setup with the easel and pastel box.   The easel recently broke.  It couldn't take the rough use I guess. It was missing some pieces under the part that holds the canvas and then fell and broke the plastic parts.  It was pretty heavy to handle now, so I'm not too upset.  I do need to fix something for going out and about, though. 

I have quite a bit of instruction and "how to" posts, try the search box at the top of my page by typing in a word or words.  Here is a sample:

I put in "how to choose a workshop" and I got this:

https://jocastilloartblog.blogspot.com/search?q=how+to+choose+a+workshop

Have fun!


2 comments:

Debbie Nolan said...

It is always so inspiring to see your pastel work, Jo. I have a set of nupastels, rembrandt and another box that I cannot remember. Liked seeing your set up for the plein aire. Your words about procrastinating had me smiling. Hugs - Have a good start to May.

Jo Castillo said...

Hi Debbie, thanks so much. Always a good start when I play in the dust. Sounds like you have a good start for pastels. You can always put a touch or two on a watercolor. :-)


About Me

My photo
Bastrop, Texas, United States
I Grew up in a small town , Magdalena, New Mexico. I enjoy art and the pleasure other people get from my work. I always donate some of my sales and art to charities, especially for children. That started in Bolivia with Para los Niños. "I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colors. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns." -- Winston Churchill

Labels

#inktober (48) #inktober2019 (27) #inktober2023 (20) #inktober21 (11) abstract (1) Acrylic Paintings (75) Arizona (3) Art House Project (14) artist (88) artist blogger (356) artist blogger  instruction (3) artist blogger  instruction (20) artist blogger  instruction (17) artist blogger instruction (40) artist friend (7) at (1) Balloons (1) Baseball (207) Bastrop Sketchers (11) Bastrop TX (34) Bolivia (5) Calendar (1) Canada (3) Challenge (5) Charity Events (74) chile (4) classes (3) coaster sketch (9) colored pencil (59) computer art (5) DailyPaintworks Auction (3) demo video (4) Digital Painting (14) doodle (1) dphotos (1) exhibit (156) Figure (4) Fine Art Friends (3) Floweb browsing (1) Flowers (33) food (10) Footwork (1) fused glass (3) Gallery (3) gluten free (5) Golden Open paints (2) Golf (12) House Concert (1) iMac Sketch (1) Inktense (2) inst (1) instruction (76) iPad Sketch (90) iPad sketches (104) iph (1) iPhone painting (3) iPhone sketch (26) jo (1) Jo's Notion (9) Jo's Thoughts (299) Joanna (2) Joodles (2) Landscapes (137) Marines (29) marketing (3) meme (6) Music (68) New Mexico (130) Nonsense (2) Oil Painting (72) Oil Pastel (1) painting buddies (1) PanPastel works (3) Pastel (29) Pastel Demo (60) Pastel Paintings (409) pastel sketch (132) Pastels (12) pears (3) Peru (1) Photo (83) photography (1) Photos (982) Plein air painting (56) podcast (1) poll (1) pottery (2) Powwow (3) Recipe (6) restaurants (6) scenery (17) Sculptor (7) sculpture (4) seascape (2) sketch (4) Sketches (1805) snow (2) Still Life (36) Stu (1) Studio (26) Texas (70) Trees (36) tribute (5) under painting (1) Unsorted (7) videos (4) watercolor (178) watercolors (14) web browsing (262) web page (11) wetcanvas (1) WIP work in progress (15) workshop (8) World Blog Hop (2) Yesterfest (2) zentangle (2)