Website Jo Castillo Art




Back to my website:

Sunday, February 04, 2024

Scotland Watercolor

What?  Scotland?  Yep, photos for the Water Challenge for February is hosted by Triduana from Edinburgh, Scotland.  I chose what I thought was the easiest to paint of the photos, a scene from Tombolo.  You can check out the photos and maybe you will find one to paint.

https://creativespark.art/threads/february-2024-water-media-challenge.6546/

I painted in my 9.5 x 7 inch watercolor sketchbook.  Actually is it is more of a sketch because I used waterbrushes?  Hmmm.  I didn't spend too much time on this one.  Not so much time waiting for paint to dry. 


As you know, I'm not fond of painting from photos.  Especially photos by other people.  I like to choose my composition and what I paint.  I do these challenges to challenge myself and to interact with the other artists.  

Sometimes choosing one of the photos is the most difficult part.  For example in this case I chose to paint water.  I could paint our ponds or use photos I took on our trips.  Being familiar with an area and painting live gives the painting more life.  I see colors better and of course like being outside.

 I see the sky looks green in my photo, it was not.  I guess I did not clean my palette well enough and was painting at my desk with the lamp for light.  I'm not doing it over.  Lesson learned clean my palette before starting my next painting.

3 comments:

Joan Tavolott said...

I don't like painting from photos either. It is so much easier to paint from life. The photos tend to really change what you're seeing. Hope you find a new easel that works for you.

Jo Castillo said...

Hi Joan. Thanks. I'm looking for something lightweight.

Jo Castillo said...

R's Rue, thank you. Have a great week.


About Me

My photo
Bastrop, Texas, United States
I Grew up in a small town , Magdalena, New Mexico. I enjoy art and the pleasure other people get from my work. I always donate some of my sales and art to charities, especially for children. That started in Bolivia with Para los Niños. "I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colors. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns." -- Winston Churchill

Labels

#inktober (48) #inktober2019 (27) #inktober2023 (20) #inktober21 (11) abstract (1) Acrylic Paintings (75) Arizona (3) Art House Project (14) artist (88) artist blogger (360) artist blogger  instruction (3) artist blogger  instruction (20) artist blogger  instruction (17) artist blogger instruction (41) artist friend (7) at (1) Balloons (1) Baseball (210) Bastrop Sketchers (11) Bastrop TX (34) Bolivia (5) Calendar (1) Canada (3) Challenge (6) Charity Events (75) chile (4) classes (3) coaster sketch (9) coffee (1) colored pencil (59) computer art (5) crayon sketches (3) DailyPaintworks Auction (3) demo video (4) Digital Painting (14) doodle (1) dphotos (1) exhibit (156) Figure (4) Fine Art Friends (3) Floweb browsing (1) Flowers (33) food (10) Footwork (1) fused glass (3) Gallery (3) gluten free (5) Golden Open paints (2) Golf (12) House Concert (1) iMac Sketch (1) Inktense (2) inst (1) instruction (78) iPad Sketch (91) iPad sketches (112) iph (1) iPhone painting (3) iPhone sketch (27) jo (1) Jo's Notion (9) Jo's Thoughts (306) Joanna (2) Joodles (2) Landscapes (137) Marines (29) marketing (3) meme (6) memorial (1) Music (68) New Mexico (130) Nonsense (2) Oil Painting (72) Oil Pastel (1) painting buddies (1) PanPastel works (3) Pastel (29) Pastel Demo (60) Pastel Paintings (413) pastel sketch (142) Pastels (12) pears (3) Peru (1) Photo (83) photography (2) Photos (996) Plein air painting (56) podcast (1) poll (1) pottery (2) Powwow (3) Recipe (6) restaurants (6) scenery (17) Sculptor (7) sculpture (4) seascape (2) sketch (4) Sketches (1850) snow (2) Still Life (36) Stu (1) Studio (26) Texas (70) Trees (36) tribute (5) under painting (1) Unsorted (7) videos (4) watercolor (180) watercolors (22) web browsing (262) web page (11) wetcanvas (1) WIP work in progress (15) workshop (8) World Blog Hop (2) Yesterfest (2) zentangle (3)