Website Jo Castillo Art




Back to my website:

Monday, January 01, 2024

New Day, New Year

Happy New Year!   This is my last sketch of 2023 not the new for 2024.  I did it midday yesterday and then never posted it.  Sigh.

I suppose it is time for an annual review and some new resolutions.  I think I will skip that and just go for the best day I can have every day.  Saving up for the future is not great advice at my age.  We never know what tomorrow will bring.  

I planned to do a pastel yesterday.  Gene was going on his  trike for his last ride of the year.  He rode 8.59 miles for a total of 812.56 miles for the year.  Wow!  He did well.  His goal was 915miles,  one more than the year before.  He only got to ride 122 days so not a bad total.  He laughs about his health.  A few years ago he decided to sign up for some health trial.  The last question on the application was, "In as few words as possible, tell us what your general health is."  He quickly wrote down, "Excellent!", and sent it off.

A couple of weeks later he said to me, "I've had 3 heart attacks, Parkinson's, and prostate cancer.  I guess that isn't excellent health!"  He did not make the trial.  :-)

Anyway, I was going to do a pastel.  I got my easel to set up on the back porch.  When I went out the wind was whirling.  Not good to have an easel set up in the wind. I thought Gene would be coming back early as he always says that when it is windy he has a headwind no matter which way he is riding. 

I came back in and got out my Canson mix media sketchbook, 9 x 12 inches and went to the screened in porch and sketched with a Micron 03.   It was beautiful after a short time, wind stopped, Gene rode on and I finished my sketch for Hunt 97.  

https://creativespark.art/threads/scavenger-hunt-from-life-97-dec-30-jan-7.6431/

Number 3 cottonwood - no cottonwood trees in this area, substituted these two oak trees back of our yard.  They have grown a lot in 12 years here.

When I finished I decided to add some color with watercolor.  

I like both versions.  Can't decide which.  The watercolor is permanent so can't go back to the black and white.

The leaves on this type of oak seem to hang on and on.  I think the green buds will start before all the leaves turn really brown and fall off.  I will try to remember to check.

We are having "cold" weather this week.  It will stay in the high 50s and low 60s (F).  Not bad but no trike riding for Gene to start the new year.  He will settle for the inside bike and some exercises.  A few years ago when we were going to Angel Fire we were excited to sit on the porch there and have our coffee at about 45º in the morning.  No way now.  I guess our blood has thinned.

Did you watch the ball drop in the Big Apple?  We went to bed about midnight.  The shooting and fireworks were very loud until after 1:00 a.m.  Dick Clark's party was on ABC and we don't have that right now on DirecTV.  So.....

I hope 2024 is good to all of you, well all of us! Back soon with new sketches and some paintings.



4 comments:

R's Rue said...

Thank you for being you. I appreciate it. Hugs. Happy New Year

Joan Tavolott said...

I am always amazed at how active Gene is. That's quite a ride.

I like your tree sketch and being a colorist you know I like it best with the color added. Those trees have grown a lot in 12 years.

We had a low key dinner...prime rib with veggies and some cocktails. When I make appetizers it seems like I'm full before it is time to have the entree. lol We did have one dance for New Year's Eve so that made me happy.

Happy New Year!!! Hoping 2024 is good to you!

Jo Castillo said...

Happy New Year back to you R's Rue. You inspire us.

Jo Castillo said...

Joan, thanks and for all your comments ... always. Sounds like a great New Year's Eve. We had a quiet one. Our New Year's menu is usually posole, the pork, chile, hominy soup dish. Pretty traditional after all the drinking! We don't drink so much anymore but still eat the posole. Wishing you the best in 2024 as well.


About Me

My photo
Bastrop, Texas, United States
I Grew up in a small town , Magdalena, New Mexico. I enjoy art and the pleasure other people get from my work. I always donate some of my sales and art to charities, especially for children. That started in Bolivia with Para los Niños. "I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colors. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns." -- Winston Churchill

Labels

#inktober (48) #inktober2019 (27) #inktober2023 (20) #inktober21 (11) abstract (1) Acrylic Paintings (75) Arizona (3) Art House Project (14) artist (88) artist blogger (360) artist blogger  instruction (3) artist blogger  instruction (20) artist blogger  instruction (17) artist blogger instruction (41) artist friend (7) at (1) Balloons (1) Baseball (210) Bastrop Sketchers (11) Bastrop TX (34) Bolivia (5) Calendar (1) Canada (3) Challenge (6) Charity Events (75) chile (4) classes (3) coaster sketch (9) coffee (1) colored pencil (59) computer art (5) crayon sketches (3) DailyPaintworks Auction (3) demo video (4) Digital Painting (14) doodle (1) dphotos (1) exhibit (156) Figure (4) Fine Art Friends (3) Floweb browsing (1) Flowers (33) food (10) Footwork (1) fused glass (3) Gallery (3) gluten free (5) Golden Open paints (2) Golf (12) House Concert (1) iMac Sketch (1) Inktense (2) inst (1) instruction (78) iPad Sketch (91) iPad sketches (112) iph (1) iPhone painting (3) iPhone sketch (27) jo (1) Jo's Notion (9) Jo's Thoughts (306) Joanna (2) Joodles (2) Landscapes (137) Marines (29) marketing (3) meme (6) memorial (1) Music (68) New Mexico (130) Nonsense (2) Oil Painting (72) Oil Pastel (1) painting buddies (1) PanPastel works (3) Pastel (29) Pastel Demo (60) Pastel Paintings (413) pastel sketch (142) Pastels (12) pears (3) Peru (1) Photo (83) photography (2) Photos (997) Plein air painting (56) podcast (1) poll (1) pottery (2) Powwow (3) Recipe (6) restaurants (6) scenery (17) Sculptor (7) sculpture (4) seascape (2) sketch (4) Sketches (1851) snow (2) Still Life (36) Stu (1) Studio (26) Texas (70) Trees (36) tribute (5) under painting (1) Unsorted (7) videos (4) watercolor (180) watercolors (23) web browsing (262) web page (11) wetcanvas (1) WIP work in progress (15) workshop (8) World Blog Hop (2) Yesterfest (2) zentangle (3)