Website Jo Castillo Art




Back to my website:

Friday, February 10, 2023

Cactus Ink - Watercolor Sketches

It was another week of doctors visits.  Mostly checkups and dental stuff .. at our age it is our time to get out and about.  Sigh...  

I sketched at the dentists in Austin in ink and today played in the watercolor and ink at home.  For Hunt 56

https://creativespark.art/threads/scavenger-hunt-from-life-56-feb-03-feb-11.5129/page-3#post-86394

Number 9 - cactus, subbed a stickery plant at the dentist's office.  Micron 03 in the Ohuhu mix media sketchbook.  I planned to add color at home, but .....

Number 10 - cactus, another one.  The Christmas cactus cutting from my mom's plant via years and miles around the world.  In a Canson watercolor sketchbook with Ohuhu pens and watercolors.  I planned a more reddish orange color to the table and background to set off the blue.  Looks more brown than orange so the yellow in the light part is a light brown in reality. (Probably why I don't have many yellow items in my house as I am not a "brown" lover.)

Set up on he dining table.

This was the last cutting I had.  It died for some reason and the little pot disappeared also.  I hope the new one will look this good for next Christmas.

You can read about the roaming cactus and other sketches in these posts.  Fun story.

https://jocastilloartblog.blogspot.com/search?q=christmas+cactus

In short, my mom had the Christmas cactus for many years.  It is well over 100 years old by now.  My sister has it in New Mexico.  My first piece was from that cactus before my Mom died  years ago.  My piece traveled all over and a piece of it ended up in Oregon with Kathy, Joanna's friend.  She gave me that last cutting and now she brought another cutting in a paper towel in a plastic bag and I planted it here.  We will see how it goes.  Fingers crossed.






7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here’s hoping on that new Christmas cactus cutting! 🤞
— (not-so-anonymous) Joanna

Joan Tavolott said...

I love that your family has kept this Christmas cactus growing in some way for over 100 years! Whoo-hoo!!! I've never had luck with them and now I don't really have enough sunlight on my side of the development for flowers and plants to do well.

Jo Castillo said...

Joanna, fingers crossed here, too. Your Aunt Barbara saved me a cutting too, the last time we were in NM and I went off and left it there. Dang.

Joan, you might have luck with the Christmas cactus, they don't need a lot of light. The old one at my sisters sits by a window that has a porch so never gets direct sun. Thanks.

bag blog said...

I love Christmas cactus. Unfortunately, I killed my last one. Your watercolor worked well. I hope your plant thrives.

Jo Castillo said...

bag blog, thank you. If my plant does well I'll send you a cutting and you can have some of "my Mom's" plant to try.

bag blog said...

I would like a cutting. Being from your mom will give me incentive to keep it growing.

Jo Castillo said...

bag blog, about a month into it and the plant is doing well. Whoopee.


About Me

My photo
Bastrop, Texas, United States
I Grew up in a small town , Magdalena, New Mexico. I enjoy art and the pleasure other people get from my work. I always donate some of my sales and art to charities, especially for children. That started in Bolivia with Para los Niños. "I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colors. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns." -- Winston Churchill

Labels

#inktober (48) #inktober2019 (27) #inktober2023 (20) #inktober21 (11) abstract (1) Acrylic Paintings (75) Arizona (3) Art House Project (14) artist (88) artist blogger (356) artist blogger  instruction (3) artist blogger  instruction (20) artist blogger  instruction (17) artist blogger instruction (40) artist friend (7) at (1) Balloons (1) Baseball (206) Bastrop Sketchers (11) Bastrop TX (34) Bolivia (5) Calendar (1) Canada (3) Challenge (5) Charity Events (74) chile (4) classes (3) coaster sketch (9) colored pencil (58) computer art (5) DailyPaintworks Auction (3) demo video (4) Digital Painting (14) doodle (1) dphotos (1) exhibit (155) Figure (4) Fine Art Friends (3) Floweb browsing (1) Flowers (33) food (10) Footwork (1) fused glass (3) Gallery (3) gluten free (5) Golden Open paints (2) Golf (12) House Concert (1) iMac Sketch (1) Inktense (2) inst (1) instruction (76) iPad Sketch (90) iPad sketches (103) iph (1) iPhone painting (3) iPhone sketch (24) jo (1) Jo's Notion (9) Jo's Thoughts (298) Joanna (2) Joodles (2) Landscapes (137) Marines (29) marketing (3) meme (6) Music (68) New Mexico (130) Nonsense (2) Oil Painting (72) Oil Pastel (1) painting buddies (1) PanPastel works (3) Pastel (29) Pastel Demo (60) Pastel Paintings (408) pastel sketch (130) Pastels (12) pears (3) Peru (1) Photo (83) photography (1) Photos (976) Plein air painting (56) podcast (1) poll (1) pottery (2) Powwow (3) Recipe (6) restaurants (6) scenery (17) Sculptor (7) sculpture (4) seascape (2) sketch (4) Sketches (1798) snow (2) Still Life (36) Stu (1) Studio (26) Texas (70) Trees (36) tribute (5) under painting (1) Unsorted (7) videos (4) watercolor (178) watercolors (13) web browsing (262) web page (11) wetcanvas (1) WIP work in progress (15) workshop (8) World Blog Hop (2) Yesterfest (2) zentangle (2)