Website Jo Castillo Art




Back to my website:

Thursday, December 29, 2022

Holly Time Watercolor Sketch

I couldn't believe we could sit on the porch this morning.  A week ago it was 20 degrees F.  This morning it is 70 degrees.  I sketched in the Ohuhu sketchbook, mix media so I could add watercolor.  I used the Micron 02 to draw and then added watercolor with a waterbrush.

Number 5 holly - it is youpon which I think is a type of holly.  The female bush has red berries, but there are none near this house.  We had a lot at the other house.  Hmmm.  I might have been happier with a more reddish purple in the background but ......

For the Scavenger Hunt from Life 51

https://creativespark.art/threads/scavenger-hunt-from-life-51-dec-25-2022-jan-2-2023.4941/page-2

 

Here is a photo to see how it really looks.  The plant is pretty invasive around here and burns like kerosene so we keep it cut away from the house.  We have only one big youpon in the yard now.

On my footstool.

There were some fishermen out by the lakes/ponds.  Pretty far away for a good photo but you get the idea.  The water is still so low.  It should be about halfway up the bank.

It wasn't supposed to rain today until about 4 o'clock.  Gene went on his trike and he just got home and it is sprinkling and wet.  Murphy's Law I guess.  At least he didn't get soaked with his computer and phone.

We will go to Paige to the post office in a bit.  Mailing the cookies and a few calendars to family.  Much easier to go to the post office there.  We can eat at the Roadhouse, too (not to be confused with the Texas Roadhouse).  Another plus for going that direction.  There is a Roadhouse here in Bastrop but it is smaller and crowded.  Same good food and service. 

Ashok has been commenting on my blog.  I love his blog with history and photos of India.  He also does amazing drawings.  You should check out the blog:   https://ashokism.blogspot.com/

Line drawings similar to this

https://ashokism.blogspot.com/2022/11/mother.html 


Have fun!!

 



8 comments:

wabbitt said...

Cool scavenger hunt, I'll have to try to do something this week. Not having a good holiday break, I could use the distraction.

Yes, Ashok has a good blog. I didn't see much art but the food looks amazing. That is cool line art. (Deceased 2016) actor Alan Rickman once did a genius self-portrait using a single line. I can't find an image of it now.

Joan Tavolott said...

I knew I should have saved that piece of holly that I sketched a few hunts ago. I do have an artificial piece somewhere. The youpon looks nice with its rounded leaves...very different from our pointy edged holly.

Sounds like quite a change in temps. We've warmed up quite a bit too...but only to about 54 as a high today. I was finally able to turn down the heat a little bit. Enjoy!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks Joan. I thought someone sketched holly. It’s been nice weather. Tonight we had a lightning strike in the yard or roof. DIRECTV is out and so is our Starlink. Using the phone/ATT.

jo Castillo said...

Wabbit, thanks. Good to see you. Miss your sketches. Yes the blog makes me hungry and want to try the different foods. Nice drawings.

bag blog said...

Holly - Mistletoe! I don't really know what is what. Does anyone? Or do they just use them as they want?

Our pond is up a little, but still very low.

Jo Castillo said...

bag blog, hmmm. I haven't seen much mistletoe around here. We haven't been out much to see decorations either. Guess we are getting or have become old somehow?? Thanks for the comments.

Anonymous said...

Love the sketch!!!
—Joanna.

Jo Castillo said...

Joanna, thank you. I know you like the watercolors. :-)


About Me

My photo
Bastrop, Texas, United States
I Grew up in a small town , Magdalena, New Mexico. I enjoy art and the pleasure other people get from my work. I always donate some of my sales and art to charities, especially for children. That started in Bolivia with Para los Niños. "I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colors. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns." -- Winston Churchill

Labels

#inktober (49) #inktober2019 (27) #inktober2023 (20) #inktober2024 (2) #inktober21 (11) abstract (1) Acrylic Paintings (75) Arizona (3) Art House Project (14) artist (88) artist blogger (360) artist blogger  instruction (3) artist blogger  instruction (20) artist blogger  instruction (17) artist blogger instruction (41) artist friend (7) at (1) Balloons (1) Baseball (210) Bastrop Sketchers (11) Bastrop TX (34) Bolivia (5) Calendar (1) Canada (3) Challenge (6) Charity Events (75) chile (4) classes (3) coaster sketch (9) coffee (1) colored pencil (59) computer art (5) crayon sketches (3) DailyPaintworks Auction (3) demo video (4) Digital Painting (14) doodle (1) dphotos (1) exhibit (156) Figure (4) Fine Art Friends (3) Floweb browsing (1) Flowers (33) food (10) Footwork (1) fused glass (3) Gallery (3) gluten free (5) Golden Open paints (2) Golf (12) House Concert (1) iMac Sketch (1) Inktense (2) inktober2024 (2) inst (1) instruction (78) iPad Sketch (91) iPad sketches (112) iph (1) iPhone painting (3) iPhone sketch (27) jo (1) Jo's Notion (9) Jo's Thoughts (306) Joanna (2) Joodles (2) Landscapes (137) Marines (29) marketing (3) meme (6) memorial (1) Music (69) New Mexico (130) Nonsense (2) Oil Painting (72) Oil Pastel (1) painting buddies (1) PanPastel works (3) Pastel (29) Pastel Demo (60) Pastel Paintings (413) pastel sketch (142) Pastels (12) pears (3) Peru (1) Photo (83) photography (2) Photos (1001) Plein air painting (56) podcast (1) poll (1) pottery (2) Powwow (3) Recipe (6) restaurants (6) scenery (17) Sculptor (7) sculpture (4) seascape (2) sketch (4) Sketches (1860) snow (2) Still Life (36) Stu (1) Studio (26) Texas (70) Trees (36) tribute (5) under painting (1) Unsorted (7) videos (4) watercolor (180) watercolors (26) web browsing (262) web page (11) wetcanvas (1) WIP work in progress (15) workshop (8) World Blog Hop (2) Yesterfest (2) zentangle (3)