Website Jo Castillo Art




Back to my website:

Tuesday, September 27, 2022

Pastel Day and Watercolor Sketch. What?

 The Austin Pastel Society had their monthly meeting here in Bastrop on Sunday.  It was live and in person.  They also put some of it on Zoom and if you have facebook and are a member you can see more on the facebook page.  Info on the website at https://www.austinpastelsociety.org/page/32253/aps-demonstrations

It was so wonderful to get together with other artists.  I got to see old friends and meet some new artists and art supporters as well.  The painting artists were Suzanne Malesovas,  Joycelyn Schedler, Julia Fletcher, Neva Rossi-Smoll and Alan Ehrlich.  Each painted in their own styles.  They finished a painting in an hour.

I was slightly disappointed that in past years the paint around had the five artists starting a painting, then after 10 minutes move to the next painting for 10 minutes and ending back at the painting they started to "finish and clean up" what the other artists did.  I missed the excitement of that format.

It was interesting to see the artists and watch their techniques and different use of pastels and surfaces.  I can always learn something new.  It definitely makes me want to get out and paint with other artists.



It was a warm afternoon, but so nice in the shade with plenty of room to walk around and get a good view.

There was a silent auction of the paintings to support the APS scholarship fund.  I bid on Joycelyn's painting, the middle photo.  I "won" it as they say.  It is fun to have original paintings by an artist/friend.

Joycelyn's painting.  It is at Lost Maples, Texas.

 

Thanks to the APS crew that put the day together. Volunteers deserve awards.   I have missed the social side of art.  And a good time was had by all......


Today started as a nice fall day in Bastrop.  It was 58 degrees F.  (Of course it will be about 90 degrees later.)  I sketched on the porch with watercolors.

For Scavenger Hunt from Life 39  Number 6 - paintbrush

I sketched with a pencil, added watercolor and then the ink.  I prefer sketching freehand with the ink first.  This was an experiment.  I was not going to ad ink, but I like watercolor and ink sketches so just had to add the ink.




6 comments:

Joan Tavolott said...

I'm glad you got out among other artists. It helps refresh the soul, and you almost always learn something too!

Jo Castillo said...

Thanks, Joan. I’m glad you have been able to go out to paint, too.

Jennifer Rose said...

congrats on winning the painting

Anonymous said...

Thanks, JennifervRose. I will have it in my studio.

bag blog said...

I love it when you watercolor. I've been doing some little watercolors and lots of ceramics. I need/want to get into my new pastels, but I am not organized - yeah, yeah, excuses!

Jo Castillo said...

bag blog, thank you. That is encouraging. It is so hard to get to do anything these days. No umph!


About Me

My photo
Bastrop, Texas, United States
I Grew up in a small town , Magdalena, New Mexico. I enjoy art and the pleasure other people get from my work. I always donate some of my sales and art to charities, especially for children. That started in Bolivia with Para los Niños. "I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colors. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns." -- Winston Churchill

Labels

#inktober (48) #inktober2019 (27) #inktober2023 (20) #inktober21 (11) abstract (1) Acrylic Paintings (75) Arizona (3) Art House Project (14) artist (88) artist blogger (356) artist blogger  instruction (3) artist blogger  instruction (20) artist blogger  instruction (17) artist blogger instruction (40) artist friend (7) at (1) Balloons (1) Baseball (206) Bastrop Sketchers (11) Bastrop TX (34) Bolivia (5) Calendar (1) Canada (3) Challenge (5) Charity Events (74) chile (4) classes (3) coaster sketch (9) colored pencil (58) computer art (5) DailyPaintworks Auction (3) demo video (4) Digital Painting (14) doodle (1) dphotos (1) exhibit (155) Figure (4) Fine Art Friends (3) Floweb browsing (1) Flowers (33) food (10) Footwork (1) fused glass (3) Gallery (3) gluten free (5) Golden Open paints (2) Golf (12) House Concert (1) iMac Sketch (1) Inktense (2) inst (1) instruction (75) iPad Sketch (90) iPad sketches (102) iph (1) iPhone painting (3) iPhone sketch (24) jo (1) Jo's Notion (9) Jo's Thoughts (298) Joanna (2) Joodles (2) Landscapes (137) Marines (29) marketing (3) meme (6) Music (68) New Mexico (130) Nonsense (2) Oil Painting (72) Oil Pastel (1) painting buddies (1) PanPastel works (3) Pastel (29) Pastel Demo (60) Pastel Paintings (408) pastel sketch (129) Pastels (12) pears (3) Peru (1) Photo (83) photography (1) Photos (975) Plein air painting (56) podcast (1) poll (1) pottery (2) Powwow (3) Recipe (6) restaurants (6) scenery (17) Sculptor (7) sculpture (4) seascape (2) sketch (4) Sketches (1797) snow (2) Still Life (36) Stu (1) Studio (26) Texas (70) Trees (36) tribute (5) under painting (1) Unsorted (7) videos (4) watercolor (178) watercolors (13) web browsing (262) web page (11) wetcanvas (1) WIP work in progress (15) workshop (8) World Blog Hop (2) Yesterfest (2) zentangle (2)