Website Jo Castillo Art




Back to my website:

Tuesday, June 14, 2022

Pastel Sketch Organic Yippee!

An item on the Scavenger Hunt from Life was "organic shape". I wanted to try my new Schmincke pastels.  I posted about them here

https://jocastilloartblog.blogspot.com/2022/05/back-to-hunting-sketching.html

I also like to go out and paint from life but it is about 98 degrees F and humid out here today and for many days in a row.

You get a plein air a la Jo from my air conditioned studio.

Number 10 organic shape - cedar tree in pastels on reused sanded paper

https://creativespark.art/threads/scavenger-hunt-from-life-27-june-7-15.4083/

 

Painting in my studio is nice.  I can listen to my iTunes and hear old and new music.  I don't listen as much since I'm not painting much.  I miss the music.  Some musicians today:  Susan Gibson, Brian Kremer, Kenny G, Kris Kristofferson, George Strait, Kate Campbell, Laya, Byrd and Street, Elizabeth McQueen, Johnny Horton, Joel Becktell and on and on....... I like listening to all the genres and let iTunes select my music today from my list of favorites.


My new pastels are very nice.  They are half sticks and round.  They make nice twigs by rolling the flat end.  Learned that from Enid Wood.   https://www.enidwood.com/   Thanks, Enid.  I'm pretty sure she used the technique in this one.

https://www.enidwood.com/portfolio-viewer?collection=169440#lg=1&artworkId=4434722





 

6 comments:

Joan Tavolott said...

Your pastel and Enid's are both great! I love the highlights you can get with the colors. Glad you were inside sketching and not out in the heat.

Jo Castillo said...

Joan, thanks. I think you are getting heat and maybe storms up north. Crazy weather. Even though it is humid in the air, it is really dry so there is a burn ban on. New Mexico is really having fires. Yikes!

bag blog said...

That is a lovely tree sketch. You know me and greens - so difficult! You did well, though! I seem to be having a bit of a creative block.

Jo Castillo said...

bag blog, thank you so much. I think limiting myself to the greens in the box helped. I wanted a more yellow green for the highlights and had to incorporate yellow. I used the tapping with a paper towel to knock it back a little. We saw that from Tom Christopher when we went to Arkansas to his workshop. Maybe you need a new pastel or other art item to perk you up.

Jennifer Rose said...

nice view from the studio window!

Jo Castillo said...

Jennifer Rose, thank you. We do have good views. I need to get out and find some new ones. Ha.


About Me

My photo
Bastrop, Texas, United States
I Grew up in a small town , Magdalena, New Mexico. I enjoy art and the pleasure other people get from my work. I always donate some of my sales and art to charities, especially for children. That started in Bolivia with Para los Niños. "I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colors. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns." -- Winston Churchill

Labels

#inktober (48) #inktober2019 (27) #inktober2023 (20) #inktober21 (11) abstract (1) Acrylic Paintings (75) Arizona (3) Art House Project (14) artist (88) artist blogger (356) artist blogger  instruction (3) artist blogger  instruction (20) artist blogger  instruction (17) artist blogger instruction (40) artist friend (7) at (1) Balloons (1) Baseball (206) Bastrop Sketchers (11) Bastrop TX (34) Bolivia (5) Calendar (1) Canada (3) Challenge (5) Charity Events (74) chile (4) classes (3) coaster sketch (9) colored pencil (59) computer art (5) DailyPaintworks Auction (3) demo video (4) Digital Painting (14) doodle (1) dphotos (1) exhibit (156) Figure (4) Fine Art Friends (3) Floweb browsing (1) Flowers (33) food (10) Footwork (1) fused glass (3) Gallery (3) gluten free (5) Golden Open paints (2) Golf (12) House Concert (1) iMac Sketch (1) Inktense (2) inst (1) instruction (76) iPad Sketch (90) iPad sketches (103) iph (1) iPhone painting (3) iPhone sketch (26) jo (1) Jo's Notion (9) Jo's Thoughts (299) Joanna (2) Joodles (2) Landscapes (137) Marines (29) marketing (3) meme (6) Music (68) New Mexico (130) Nonsense (2) Oil Painting (72) Oil Pastel (1) painting buddies (1) PanPastel works (3) Pastel (29) Pastel Demo (60) Pastel Paintings (408) pastel sketch (132) Pastels (12) pears (3) Peru (1) Photo (83) photography (1) Photos (981) Plein air painting (56) podcast (1) poll (1) pottery (2) Powwow (3) Recipe (6) restaurants (6) scenery (17) Sculptor (7) sculpture (4) seascape (2) sketch (4) Sketches (1804) snow (2) Still Life (36) Stu (1) Studio (26) Texas (70) Trees (36) tribute (5) under painting (1) Unsorted (7) videos (4) watercolor (178) watercolors (13) web browsing (262) web page (11) wetcanvas (1) WIP work in progress (15) workshop (8) World Blog Hop (2) Yesterfest (2) zentangle (2)