Website Jo Castillo Art




Back to my website:

Wednesday, May 11, 2022

SHFL Sketches

Sometimes when I try different media to sketch with, I feel like I'm really sketching or really learning.  I rarely use alcohol markers because you can't blend the colors like paint or watercolors. I'm reminded of learning to color with crayons and playing with the kids when they were little.  I'm hoping it is good for my brain to try "new" things, or at least things I'm not as familiar with.  Picking up a pastel or pen and ink is like finding an old friend.  

We sat on the porch yesterday morning.  It is pretty warm, but nice to sit out there again.  The pollen from the Loblolly pines is gone and the kiddos helped get the porch rug down and furniture back.

Sketches are for Scavenger Hunt from Life #23.

https://creativespark.art/threads/scavenger-hunt-from-life-23-may-6-14.3902/

 

Number 1, wheelbarrow - hanging on the shed
Number 2, made of wood - the shed and the trees
Number 3, found in yard - the cinder blocks
Sketched in the watercolor sketchbook, 9 x 12 inches,  with Prismacolor Premier markers

I went back to my familiar pastels on the recycled/reused paper, about 8 x 10 inches.
Number 4, corner of a room - my studio corner with paintings, junk and pastels


Gene and I walked to the fire station to sketch these.  Number 6 and 7 are in the travel sketchbook, mix media, 5.5 x 8.5 inches with a Zig Millennium 05 pen.

Number 6, parking lot - across the like by the fire station and playground  The K Line railroad car is red and used for storage.  The pickup was red and left just as I finished the sketch.  Whew.
Number 7, skyline, the houses and trees across the lake.  We sat on a bench while I sketched.
(you can click on the images to make them a bit larger)


Someone that works very hard at her art and pushes herself is Kelly Borsheim.  I haven't linked to her in a while.  Her work is amazing.  This is a recent blog post.

https://borsheimarts.com/blogs/news/the-birth-of-beauty-borsheim-art-news

10 comments:

Joan Tavolott said...

You really went to town sketching! Glad you got out to sketch too. I should take a walk and sketch what I find. It would do me some good I'm sure. I like the sketch of the corner of your studio and the one with the wheelbarrow and cinder blocks. I'm always amazed that we can find these items and make a scene out of them. :)

Jo Castillo said...

Hi, Joan. Thanks so much. We haven't been walking as much. We did walk to vote last Saturday but I didn't take the sketchbook. My studio is a mess the sketch is such a small part of all the "stuff" around. I love your outdoor sketches, too.

bag blog said...

I like your use of markers. My grandson, Titus, is an amazing artist. He mostly draws Mario characters and stories about them. He always drew with a black pen, but now he has branched out to markers. I need to get a photo of them - pretty incredible. He tried colored pencils, but struggled to get things colored - he had been encouraged to try something different. But the markers, like your sketch, are bright and fun.

Jo Castillo said...

Bag Blog, thanks on the markers, I just can't get the feeling that I'm really drawing for some reason. I understand the colored pencils. Much too slow.

R's Rue said...

Beautiful.

Jennifer Rose said...

you can blend with alcohol markers, just need different shades to do it and an open window because of the fumes

Debbie Nolan said...

Wow Jo you have been so busy. Love everyone of these. Hope you are having a super day. Hugs!

Jo Castillo said...

Jennifer Rose, thanks for the advice on blending. I'm much too lazy to get into that when I don't really have the interest. I'm a procrastinator as you know, so maybe one of these days. Ha.

Jo Castillo said...

Debbie, thank you so much. The markers are frustrating but sort of fun once in a while. Good to change up I think.

Jo Castillo said...

R's Rue, thank you so very much.


About Me

My photo
Bastrop, Texas, United States
I Grew up in a small town , Magdalena, New Mexico. I enjoy art and the pleasure other people get from my work. I always donate some of my sales and art to charities, especially for children. That started in Bolivia with Para los Niños. "I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colors. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns." -- Winston Churchill

Labels

#inktober (48) #inktober2019 (27) #inktober2023 (20) #inktober21 (11) abstract (1) Acrylic Paintings (75) Arizona (3) Art House Project (14) artist (88) artist blogger (355) artist blogger  instruction (3) artist blogger  instruction (20) artist blogger  instruction (17) artist blogger instruction (40) artist friend (7) at (1) Balloons (1) Baseball (204) Bastrop Sketchers (11) Bastrop TX (34) Bolivia (5) Calendar (1) Canada (3) Challenge (5) Charity Events (74) chile (4) classes (3) coaster sketch (9) colored pencil (58) computer art (5) DailyPaintworks Auction (3) demo video (4) Digital Painting (14) doodle (1) dphotos (1) exhibit (154) Figure (4) Fine Art Friends (3) Floweb browsing (1) Flowers (33) food (10) Footwork (1) fused glass (3) Gallery (3) gluten free (5) Golden Open paints (2) Golf (12) House Concert (1) iMac Sketch (1) Inktense (2) inst (1) instruction (75) iPad Sketch (90) iPad sketches (102) iph (1) iPhone painting (3) iPhone sketch (24) jo (1) Jo's Notion (9) Jo's Thoughts (298) Joanna (2) Joodles (2) Landscapes (137) Marines (29) marketing (3) meme (6) Music (68) New Mexico (130) Nonsense (2) Oil Painting (72) Oil Pastel (1) painting buddies (1) PanPastel works (3) Pastel (29) Pastel Demo (60) Pastel Paintings (408) pastel sketch (129) Pastels (12) pears (3) Peru (1) Photo (83) photography (1) Photos (970) Plein air painting (56) podcast (1) poll (1) pottery (2) Powwow (3) Recipe (6) restaurants (6) scenery (17) Sculptor (7) sculpture (4) seascape (2) sketch (4) Sketches (1784) snow (2) Still Life (36) Stu (1) Studio (26) Texas (69) Trees (36) tribute (5) under painting (1) Unsorted (7) videos (4) watercolor (178) watercolors (9) web browsing (262) web page (11) wetcanvas (1) WIP work in progress (15) workshop (8) World Blog Hop (2) Yesterfest (2) zentangle (2)